Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Dog
    • Sep 2001

Which board should I go with?

I know that I will get a biased opinion here, but I'm going to ask anyways.

I am looking at three bb's to use, I will be upgrading from UBB 5 to either:

VB 2 ($160)
    UBB 6 (on sale @ $125)
    IkonBoard V3 (Free)

Please give me an honest opinion why you think I should go with VB, or one of the others. And if you can, tell me why.

Thanks!
  • rockergrrl
    • Jul 2000

Well it depends on what the board is going to be used for?

Is it going to be for a small group and there's no need for a paid board?

Or is the board going to be use for a professional reason? A Company's support board?

I'm partial to vB - but I also have a website that used ikonboard v3. I have 3 vB licenses... 1 board is for a small group (I only wanted the best for this site - I was using UBB - but my license ended and I wasn't going to pay $200+ to renew it), another board is for a project I'm working on, and the last board is for my soon to be up and running web hosting company's support board.

It just depens on what you're looking for...

I personally don't like UBB anymore (not that 6 is up and running) - because it hog all my system resources -- even for a small group (that's what I was using for my small group's board before vB).

vB is easier on your server, its faster and a lot easier to configure - and most customizable (easier to customize as well).

That's my 2 cents...

Tonya

Comment

• Mad Dog
      • Sep 2001

Well, my current UBB 5 has over 400 members, 20,000+ posts, it gets around 800 visits per day, and about 75+ posts per day.

So, I do not know if that is considered small or not.

It's not really for professional reasons, but the board itself needs to maintain a professional look.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

As a vBulletin, your board would be considered small. There are boards out there that have 20,000-30,000 members and over 1 Million posts. I don't even know if UBB or Ikonboard would support that.

I consider the board I administrate to be small to medium class. You can see it in my signature. I have worked on large boards though.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Matt@ikonboard
          • Oct 2000

As a vBulletin, your board would be considered small. There are boards out there that have 20,000-30,000 members and over 1 Million posts. I don't even know if UBB or Ikonboard would support that.
          I can't speak for UBB, but our support board has over 12,000 members with over 75,000 posts (should be more, but we reset the boards back in June when we upgraded). We also have about 220-270 concurent users online during the evenings, and about 100 during the "small" hours.

We're running a fairly modest server with only 256mb ram. This server serves the site, along with other assorted scripts including 1 test board and 2 dev boards.

I have seen some really big boards running vBulletin without a hitch too, so you know that vB performs well under heavy load.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

vb

Comment

• MarkB
              • Apr 2001

Have used all 3, and vB wins it in every instance

Comment

• Platinum
                • Jan 2001

In my opinion, nothing even comes close to vBulletin.

I used to really like UBB5 because the main site I always visit used to run on one. However, many months ago I started visiting vBulletins, and I instantly loved them. The main board I visit recently migrated to vB 2.0 from UBB5 in June. Everyone is very pleased, and this is a board with 10100 members.

vB is the best looking, and the best functioning software available, plus it doesn't cost as much as UBB.

vB rocks!

Cheers.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...