X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

IPB 3 (are they going WC3 Strict)

Well, this was interesting to read here: http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...&#entry1738608

My question is, are they following phpBB3 in trying to go WC3 Strict with the new IPB 3 version. Here are some reasons whats making me think maybe they just are.

They're adding: "alt tags" to all image
    Using: <strong> tag for bold
    Making use of: <hr> tags
    Using the: <cite> tag
    Using <blockquote> for quotes.

etc, etc.

Another thing that was interesting was I just looked at the IPB 3 Blog, and read this page, where is does mention creating a new style that is WC3 Strict.

Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 15 Jul '08, 9:16pm.
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Without drifting into IPB bashing, I personally think having XHTML 1.0 Strict might be unfeasible from an administrative perspective.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Well, I've posted a thread over there asking if this is their intension's. No reply yet to answer that question though. But looking at all the changes they are making, and the fact the guy who is working on the new style mentions one of the objectives is to create, I quote from that link above:

Ensure semantic markup as far as reasonably possible
      - Ensure XHTML validation (1.0 Strict)
      They are making it seem as though thats their intentions, but on doing a search over there, I can find no mention on their Blogs or Forums of it being WC3 Strict.

But again, in that link to the Blog posting, he talks about making all changes to skin via the CSS style sheet, instead of through the template system. Which again would be the way to go for a WC3 Strict style, because so much more can be controled in it using css to keep it strict valid markup. The same way I do on my own website via the CSS stylesheet.

Again here is a quote:

These objectives have real benefits for the modern web. Semantic markup is not only good for screenreaders, but it provides a solid base for skinners. When all stylistic decision is removed from the XHTML, those decisions can now be made in the CSS alone. My goal with the new skin is to minimize the need to edit templates, and semantic markup forms a part of this. The hope is the majority of skins will be achieved simply by editing CSS - I'm sure admins will appreciate how much easier upgrading will be when templates remain largely identical across skins!

Another great benefit of semantic code is that we will now be able to serve a printer-specific stylesheet, and do away with the 'print-view' code in IPB itself.
      Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 15 Jul '08, 11:10pm.

Comment

• ---MAD---
        • Jun 2005
        • 3.8.x

I am just shocked how far into IPB 3 development has gone. I see no signs of vB 4.0 yet.

Comment

• cheat-master30
          • Jun 2008
          • 3.8.x

I would never use like a forum to use XHTML strict, because the not displaying anything with even one error is going to totally screw up a great deal of modifications. Heck, until there's a semi decent XML parser, I'm hoping vBulletin 4.0 holds off the strict doctype. Sure, CSS layout is the next step, and should be next for vBulletin 4.0, but one typo or broken post could kill the entire forum page.

I also don't see in the least how strong and emphasis are semantic.
          DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

• Chazel
            • Nov 2007

I'm not an expert on WC3 validations, but if only one skin is XHTML Strict, then what's the problem?

And I just read up on the other blog posts, and I'm impressed that they're going to be shipping three skins with 3.0: a 'fancy' skin, a lightweight skin, and a skin optimized for use on mobile devices!

Comment

• King Kovifor
              • Nov 2004
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ---MAD---
              I am just shocked how far into IPB 3 development has gone. I see no signs of vB 4.0 yet.
              Well, that is because 3.0 is the next version. 3.7 was the development focus for the past few months. And 4.0 is next, but is just starting, so I would say we will see some news when development has progressed.

Comment

• Vtec44
                • Jan 2005
                • 3.7.x

big deal...
                So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ---MAD---
                  Didn't they recently shelve nexus?

Comment

• Vtec44
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 3.7.x

Based on that blog, apparently it's not the first time they've discontinued a long term project.
                    So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• MRGTB
                      • May 2005

Quick question, what does discontinuing Nexus have to with IPB3 development?

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MRGTB
                        Quick question, what does discontinuing Nexus have to with IPB3 development?
                        Well considering their CMS got merged into Nexus, and Nexus got dropped....

Comment

• Chazel
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Zachery
                          I'm still not catching on...

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Zachery
                            So you think the development of IPB3 might be short lived then, well I wont argue if it will or not. But seeing as the forum is there main selling software package, unlike Nexus or a CMS they might have been working on. I'm incline to think they would not be that stupid to do the same thing with IPB3.

But who knows, I don't have a crystal ball handy!

Comment

• Dean C
                              • Mar 2002
                              • 3.5.x

I see no reason to not go XHTML strict. I don't believe it would be an administrative hindrance either.
                              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...