X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greps
    • Feb 2006
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Quillz
    Well, appears to have everything Greps wanted except for the storage, which is still capped at 16 GB.
    you are not exactly right. it only has 2 things that people have requested (3G and GPS), and even still, competition has had those features for years now.

what it doesn't have, however, is a more tricky part. let's see:
    • 3g is useless without a front-side camera for video calls
    • GPS is also quite pointless without turn-by-turn navigation
    • a VGA screen. iPhone's 3.5'' is way too big for it's crappy 480x320 resolution
    • a normal camera, as opposed to, for example, Nokia N95's 5mpx. 2 megapixels is so outdated and crap that they even manage to squeeze it into wristwatches
    • speaking of camera, video recording
    • more capacity. everyone expected a 32GB version, but alas. no memory card slot to speak of, either.
    • A2DP bluetooth. I still can't believe they wouldn't implement that, after overa year
    • MMS
    • copy/paste

Comment

• Dean C
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Greps
      you are not exactly right. it only has 2 things that people have requested (3G and GPS), and even still, competition has had those features for years now.

what it doesn't have, however, is a more tricky part. let's see:
      • 3g is useless without a front-side camera for video calls
      • GPS is also quite pointless without turn-by-turn navigation
      • a VGA screen. iPhone's 3.5'' is way too big for it's crappy 480x320 resolution
      • a normal camera, as opposed to, for example, Nokia N95's 5mpx. 2 megapixels is so outdated and crap that they even manage to squeeze it into wristwatches
      • speaking of camera, video recording
      • more capacity. everyone expected a 32GB version, but alas. no memory card slot to speak of, either.
      • A2DP bluetooth. I still can't believe they wouldn't implement that, after overa year
      • MMS
      • copy/paste
      You're totally missing the point of 3G. Most consumers aren't interested in making video calls as providers don't include them in their plans, that's certainly the case in the UK. The main draw of 3G is access to the internet faster, and I think I speak for most iPhone owners when I say that internet on the go is the big draw. I can check my mail, websites and forums wherever I am and whenever there is the need.

I agree with you on the camera. But it's not even that amount of megapixels that bothers me, it's the lack of auto-focus. Not everyone is blessed with steady hands so for those of us without them, taking photos is a waste of time on it.
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• MrNase
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Dean C
        so for those of us without them, taking photos is a waste of time on it.
        Especially since you can geotag your photos and upload them to mobileme.com now - it would be a lot better to have a better camera. You don't need a great service for your photos when the photos are crap.

I LOVE the new iPhone and I want one. Now the German carrier has to update their price information so that I can decide wether it's worth it or not.
        That's the end of that!

Comment

• tgillespie
          • Dec 2002
          • 3.7.x

Things I find important in a cellular phone:

- Fast, intuitive user interface. iPhone +1
          - Decent web browser. iPhone +1
          - A solid camera. iPhone -1
          - Ease of media control - music more importantly. iPhone -1
          - Ability to multitask - use navigation, look at phonebook, browse web. iPhone +1
          - Connectivity - wifi or 3G. iPhone +1

For now, I'd have to say my N95 trumps the iPhone for me. When I got my N95, I sold the point & shoot camera and the iPod. With the iPhone I imagine picking up a point/shoot camera, because 2MP and crappy flash wont cut it.

The N95 still wins in camera, music control, GPS navigation, and overall control over your phone. I envy the browser of the iPhone, otherwise, I'll pass. Besides, kinda expensive here in the U.S. when you consider the required data feature. $200 seems cheap for a phone, but AT&T sticks it to you with their monthly bills.
          Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Quillz
            • Nov 2004
            • 5.0.X

The N95 (and all the Nseries phones) are great. But, yeah, I really wish the N95 had a better browser. The new Opera Mini/Mobile is alright, but still insists on displaying web pages in blocks, and not the entire thing, the way the mobile Safari browser does it.
            Forums

Comment

• Grover
              • May 2001
              • 3.8.x

Fantastic device! I followed www.iphoneclub.nl (great site!) everyday in the past couple of months. I own a 8GB black iPod Nano (2nd gen) and now I am thinking of purchasing an iPod Touch or the iPhone. I was in London a couple of weeks ago and held the iPod Touch and (first gen) iPhone in my hands for the first time. I loved that the Touch weight less then the iPhone, but the iPhone has more benefits compared to the Touch, so I guess I am going for the iPhone after July 11th.
              How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Dean C
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Quillz
                The N95 (and all the Nseries phones) are great. But, yeah, I really wish the N95 had a better browser. The new Opera Mini/Mobile is alright, but still insists on displaying web pages in blocks, and not the entire thing, the way the mobile Safari browser does it.
                It also depends whether you want a brick in your pocket if you want the N95. I have to say I'm still impressed with the iPhones size, with an A-GPS unit packed in there as well as 3G
                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• deathbyalfonzo
                  • Apr 2007

The new iPhone looks very very promising ^.^

I hope I can afford the extra $30/month for the 3G data plan

Comment

• Grover
                    • May 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Car navigation on iPhone 3G

Although this information has emerged: Latest iPhone SDK agreement limits GPS software capabilities .... I am absolutely convinced that car-navigation software will be available soon for the iPhone 3G.

Be it from Apple themselves, be it from Tomtom or any other company. Car-navigation is one of the reasons why I will buy an iPhone 3G. GPS and no car-navigation? Ofcourse this is no reality, so I am curious to find out which company is going to provide it.
                    How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...