X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greps
    • Feb 2006
    • 3.6.x

the new iPhone

let me begin by saying that I do not own the current iteration of the iPhone simply because it doesn't satisfy my needs. in my work I heavily rely on high speed wireless internet (HSDPA) and push email, whereas the current iPhone does not support either of those. right now I carry around with me quite an assortment of gadgets: Nokia n78 for HSDPA, Garmin NĂ¼vi 770 for car navigation, Dell Axim x51v for internet and ebooks and iPod Nano for music.

now, what if the rumours are true and the new iPhone will have 3G, GPS, and Exchange support, better battery life, 32 gigs of storage and maybe even a better screen (VGA, OLED?). if that happens, one device will replace 4, at least for me. even if it won't have GPS, 3 for 1 would still be a great trade-off. and I don't really care if the iPhone is like a brick compared to smaller more conventional mobile phones.

sure, there are other devices with comparable specs which are already out. HTC Diamond and Nokia N96, to name a few. but I think there are 2 main advantages which set the iPhone and it's successor apart from competition - usability and developer support. Apple's approach to user interface, accessibility and ease of use has been praised by many, and the popularity of iPhone has made it an attractive target for developers. that's why despite quite pathetic features of the first iPhone (lack of 3G, MMS, GPS, crappy 320x480 screen, etc) it has still been popular.

impatiently waiting for WWDC.
  • HeyJeeB
    • Jan 2005

My phone purchase has been on hold all year awaiting the release of the 3G iPhone, I'm also hoping the rumours are true. I've not used a current iPhone so not sure whether I should rely on the on-screen keyboard, for that reason I'm also eyeing up http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/04/the-htc-touch-pro/

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.8.x

The new iPhone will have 3G and GPS, or Apple may as well hand over the keys to BlackBerry (RIM)..
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• MrNase
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.8.x

I had a iPhone touch and I loved it and I also got my hands on the first gen iPhone but it basically is an MP3 player that allows you to call and not a phone that allows you to listen to MP3s.

The second generation iPhone has a lot more to offer so I am more then certain that I'll buy one.

It's always good to have a GPS device and my old one can't be upgraded anymore so once in a while I have to drive on roads that don't exist anymore!
        That's the end of that!

Comment

• Dean C
          • Mar 2002
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by MrNase
          I had a iPhone touch and I loved it and I also got my hands on the first gen iPhone but it basically is an MP3 player that allows you to call and not a phone that allows you to listen to MP3s.

The second generation iPhone has a lot more to offer so I am more then certain that I'll buy one.

It's always good to have a GPS device and my old one can't be upgraded anymore so once in a while I have to drive on roads that don't exist anymore!
          You're kidding? I love the iPod interface on the iPhone. It's simple, and does exactly what it needs to do
          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• nesquikk
            • Jun 2008
            • 3.7.x

cool very nice

Comment

• MrNase
              • Jun 2003
              • 3.8.x

2 hours to go before the live coverage of the WWDC 2008 keynote starts.

I recommend http://www.macrumorslive.com/ for the live coverage.
              That's the end of that!

Comment

• ---MAD---
                • Jun 2005
                • 3.8.x

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Seems like it has 3G and GPS .

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

It sure does
                  awesome device, affordable, enterprise ready, rawr.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

iPhone High Resolution Images are up!

ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• MrNase
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 3.8.x

Bluetooth - finally!

But no better camera and too bad that you can only buy a white 16 GB.
                      That's the end of that!

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                        • Nov 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Canada getting iPhone on July 11

MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• MrNase
                          • Jun 2003
                          • 3.8.x

In Germany too but no word about the price yet.

Steve said something about $199 worldwide - but it's not uncommon that Apple just replaces the '$' with a 'EUR' in Germany.

Example:

199 EUR -> 308 USD
                          199 USD -> 128 EUR

HUGE difference here.
                          That's the end of that!

Comment

• Quillz
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 5.0.X

Well, appears to have everything Greps wanted except for the storage, which is still capped at 16 GB.
                            Forums

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.8.x

My Curve 8330 can only store 8GB currently on microSD, but OS 4.5/4.6 is going to change that.. I find it hard to fill 8GB anyways..
                              I already have 3G and full GPS, so people buying the new iPhone have alot to look forward too..
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...