• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razasharp
    • Feb 2005
    • 3.7.x

vB Dev blog starts June 7th!!

In case you missed the announcement:

As part of our ongoing drive to improve communications with our customers, the vBulletin development team will soon be posting to a new development blog, providing tidbits of information and glimpses into future features, development processes etc. for customers who are interested in seeing where things are going and how they are progressing.

We will be using the vBulletin Blog installation here on vBulletin.com for this purpose, and in order to allow a clear signal without interference we will be emptying the Blog of all its current content on Friday, June 7th.

After this date, the vBulletin.com blog's purpose will be communication between Jelsoft and its customers, so we will not be allowing customers to post their own blogs, though they will of course be welcome to comment on entries posted by the vBulletin team.

If you currently have content in the blog at vBulletin.com that you want to keep, please make use of the time before the data wipe to take a backup of your entries and either post them elsewhere or keep them for your own records.
    It's nice to see that the devs will be using the blog to communicate with us so *thumbs up* from me. I don't think the blog was used here much by members anyway, more to test it than anything else!

I am looking forward to getting a good insight into what is planned for vB as it will make the decision-making process much easier when it comes to deciding what to do/add to my sites.

Roll on June 7th!

Edit: maybe we should get our requests in! My first is (apart from the usual more info on development...) can we please have a simple step by step on how to use/activate/configure APC cache with vB
    Last edited by Razasharp; Tue 27 May '08, 3:16pm.
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?
  • Chazel
    • Nov 2007

I do like that we will finally see communication between us and the developers, but I don't see why the developer blog can't be on the front page while keeping the other blogs intact...

Comment

• Fusion
      • Aug 2001
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Razasharp
      It's nice to see that the devs will be using the blog to communicate with us so *thumbs up* from me. I don't think the blog was used here much by members anyway, more to test it than anything else!
      I am looking forward to it also.
      As for the Blog being Dev-only (Yes, yes, we can comment) I'm not so sure that's such a good thing as we'll lose the ability to test new versions for bugs etc. 'til it's accessible to license-holders. Additionally, people's blogs may have more traffic here than at their own sites.
      That said, I don't believe it's logical to close off an opportunity to show off the addon to potential customers, so I think we'll see it back in some form or other.

I am looking forward to getting a good insight into what is planned for vB as it will make the decision-making process much easier when it comes to deciding what to do/add to my sites.
      Well, what level of insight we'll be privy to remains to be seen. Though, at this point anything is better than fluff.
      ... can we please have a simple step by step on how to use/activate/configure APC cache with vB
      Setting up APC is easy enough. What's needed (IMO) is some indication in the ACP that it's being used and how well it is utilized.
      Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Razasharp
        • Feb 2005
        • 3.7.x

Yeah, I was surprised why they didn;t just add the feature that admin can set 'categories' and then usergroup permission them (so only devs could post in them). They said this feature was coming out for the blog so hope it still makes it - its one of the reasons why I am not yet using it as our blog system.

I also hope the info they give us isn't drips n drabs, but a good indication of what to expect. Clear consise communication - don't leave us to guesswork. Is a vBCMS coming out, or not? Should we expect it with vB 4? If not roughly how long after? etc.

I always hated having to 'guess' what would be coming out - and that is the biggest reason I started to look at alternatives. If it's have known the better profiles were coming to vB, I probably wouldn't have even looked into drupal as I would have been content knowing I'll be getting them soon. Same for other features, I'd prob be happy to wait for vB, but I just need to know where I stand.

Re APC - from my understanding, you install it, uncomment out the line for it in config. But what then? Do I need to manually do something in APC or will it automatically kick in? How do I know it's working?

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

84 blog entries. .. sigh! I guess I move everything to mrfloris.com

Comment

• Fusion
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Razasharp
            Re APC - from my understanding, you install it, uncomment out the line for it in config. But what then? Do I need to manually do something in APC or will it automatically kick in? How do I know it's working?
            No, that's about it. You can use the attached apc.php to see that it is working. The file is part of the APC-package.
            Attached Files
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Fusion, I assume you changed the admin pass to your server in that file you shared? If not .. I strongly recommend that you go and change your account details for your server.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                • Sep 2001

/me goes off to play with Fusion's server! weeeeee!!!
                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• ---MAD---
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I wonder why the blog had to be empty in order to have dev blogs :S..

Comment

• Fusion
                    • Aug 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                    Fusion, I assume you changed the admin pass to your server in that file you shared? If not .. I strongly recommend that you go and change your account details for your server.
                    Of course I used a dummy password. It looks real, is all, makes it more fun.
                    Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Kier
                      Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
                      • Sep 2000

Just because the blog is to be cleared out on June 7th, it does not necessarily follow that there will be a dev blog entry posted on that day, sorry.

Comment

• Fusion
                        • Aug 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Kier
                        Just because the blog is to be cleared out on June 7th, it does not necessarily follow that there will be a dev blog entry posted on that day, sorry.
                        Mm, no, that's a given. What ---MAD--- asks (I think) is why the blog needs to be limited to Dev blogs alone. The Dev blogs could be made to stand out in other ways, right?
                        Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Razasharp
                          • Feb 2005
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Fusion
                          No, that's about it. You can use the attached apc.php to see that it is working. The file is part of the APC-package.
                          Thanks Fusion!

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Fusion
                            The Dev blogs could be made to stand out in other ways, right?
                            It may be possible but this requires custom coding. You can ask over at www.vbulletin.org
                            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Fusion
                              • Aug 2001
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                              It may be possible but this requires custom coding. You can ask over at www.vbulletin.org
                              Heh. Funny!
                              Toddler from Hell

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...