Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DoE
    I use "Slave" as it fits the theme for my site. A "Slave" can still view the forums and can post only in a specific areas. How long they stay a slave is totally up to them. Also, to keep with the setting, members can bid to own the slave, that is to help guide them to correct any shortcoming(s) that got them to be a slave in the first place. Once the "owner" determines the slave role played the role as intended (it is a public forum so nothing demeaning allowed) and shows he/she can follow the forum rules they are returned to normal membership and hopefully will say they had a lot of fun.

If they decide not to role play that of a slave, or not comeback, their account is left intact with "Slave of xxxx" in their profile. We haven't had a slave yet on my new site, lol. But there will be.
    OoOOO slaves, sounds fun! what was your forum again? . kidding of course.

Comment

• Dream
      • Mar 2001
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Floris
      I am about to actually change it on my community to " Account Suspended "
      Yes account suspended sounds better, even in my language. Thanks.
      Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• Grover
        • May 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by jilly
        (...) - for regular users who decided to leave and want their account gone, we use 'retired' - this way it also suspends their username indefinitely, so no one else could re-register as the old user id and create confusion. Also, if the situation ever chhanges and the member wants to or is allowed to come back for any reason, their old info is still available. We also use this for members that we have to ask to leave because of trouble.

I understand what dream is saying, banned has a very negative connotation - i save that for harassers or spammers
        Hi Jilly,

This sounds interesting. Could you tell me how exactly you use this 'retired'-thing? I mean, what are the admin-steps involved on your site to make an account 'retired'?

Thanks!
        How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• jilly
          • Apr 2001
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Grover
          Hi Jilly,

This sounds interesting. Could you tell me how exactly you use this 'retired'-thing? I mean, what are the admin-steps involved on your site to make an account 'retired'?

Thanks!
          Basically for the 'retired' usergroup, it's a banned category usergroup, and all the settings are set to 'no', they can't view anything, can't PM or post, blog, can't play in the arcade, whatever you would normally put for a banned person - also we mark them as 'do not display on members list'. We remove all secondary usergroups as well from the username.

Then, according to the user's preference, we either put all their posts into tachy goes to coventry, or leave them as is. Most of the time, the users want all their posts 'gone' so we 'hide' them all. With their username in the 'retired' usergroup, all their info is still there, just gone from all public view. Then, if they change their mind and want to come back, and have made whatever changes or ammends that allow them back, it's easy to just move them out of the retired usergroup and back into a regular usergroup, and unhide all their posts.

Comment

• Chousho
            • Jan 2004
            • 3.8.x

I have plans for banned users. Thankfully I haven't had to use them, yet, but it never hurts to plan ahead.

I pretty much have broken it down into 3 categories:
            • Does not play well with others
            • Can't shut up
            • Too creepy

As long as people don't fit into any of those 3, they shouldn't have any problem ;D

Comment

• Dream
              • Mar 2001
              • 3.6.x

Does anyone not fit in those three?
              Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• tgralex
                • Jun 2006

Basically for the 'retired' usergroup, it's a banned category usergroup, and all the settings are set to 'no', they can't view anything, can't PM or post, blog, can't play in the arcade, whatever you would normally put for a banned person - also we mark them as 'do not display on members list'. We remove all secondary usergroups as well from the username.

Then, according to the user's preference, we either put all their posts into tachy goes to coventry, or leave them as is. Most of the time, the users want all their posts 'gone' so we 'hide' them all. With their username in the 'retired' usergroup, all their info is still there, just gone from all public view. Then, if they change their mind and want to come back, and have made whatever changes or ammends that allow them back, it's easy to just move them out of the retired usergroup and back into a regular usergroup, and unhide all their posts.
                I am not sure how can you "hide" those messages? I certainly can move them all to a hidden topic, but in case if that person decides to return back - I will not be able to move them back were they were. I would guess that you mean to delete all his posts, (but it will delete all his topics as well) and restore them later if needed.

Is there any user hide option, like replace person's name with "guest" or something? So posts remain, but with anonymous author?

Comment

• jilly
                  • Apr 2001
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by tgralex
                  I am not sure how can you "hide" those messages?
                  If you place the user into the 'tachy goes to coventry' mode, all their posts are hidden instantly from view. Only the user themselves could still see the posts.

Originally posted by tgralex
                  Is there any user hide option, like replace person's name with "guest" or something? So posts remain, but with anonymous author?
                  Sure, you could just change the person's username to something like "Guest1", and the next person who you ahd to do, could be "Guest2", etc. Then if they came back, you could change it back to their regular username if they wanted to.

Comment

• tgralex
                    • Jun 2006

If you place the user into the 'tachy goes to coventry' mode, all their posts are hidden instantly from view. Only the user themselves could still see the posts.
                    I found it - interesting option. Thanks!

Sure, you could just change the person's username to something like "Guest1", and the next person who you ahd to do, could be "Guest2", etc. Then if they came back, you could change it back to their regular username if they wanted to.
                    It is a solution, but the only problem here - you have to keep a reference table
                    Would be nice to hide those user names automatically so I don't remember that Guest237 was XYZ

Comment

• Abomination
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by DoE
                      I use "Slave" as it fits the theme for my site.
                      Are you referring to the site in your sig line?

LOL...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Banned users on my forum have the exact same titles as registered users. However only one person that isn't a known spammer has been banned on them as well.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                          • Mar 2005

Honestly, I ignore people who approach me with all the PC issues on my own forum. I get atleast a couple of PC issues a month on some topic... the logo is to graphic, ban should be more gentle, infraction notifications is too harsh, etc.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 3.8.x

I have 3 banned set ups: Suspended Users, Banned Users, Banned!

Suspended users is for exactly what it says, they are supended, however, can still use PM system and view forums.

Banned Users is for those who are permanently banned, but can appeal for their banning. These users can only see that one forum section.

The Banned! Group results in no access to anything.
                            That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...