How do you get indexed in search engines?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chousho
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by dpunkz
    thanks for all the info!

one last thing, i currently have my VB set so it forces guests to register after they view 2 threads... I herd from a few people that this is bad for search engine indexing because the spiders or w/e have trouble grabbing content?
    If you're asking how to get bots to view content that real users would have to pay for, as far as I'm aware this is against many sites' ToS.

Comment

• Tolitz
      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Bill_
      tgillespie: Can you tell me what site map you are using. I am having problems with the one I added when trying to link from PhotoPost and PhotoClassifieds to the site map. Brings back a 404 page.

Where can I obtain the site map you use?
      I'm pretty sure this is what he's using:

edit: Yeah, it is... the link is even in the sitemap's footer

- T
      Last edited by Tolitz; Fri 23 May '08, 11:08pm. Reason: confirmed a hunch
      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• tgillespie
        • Dec 2002
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Tolitz
        I'm pretty sure this is what he's using:

edit: Yeah, it is... the link is even in the sitemap's footer

- T
        Actually the one in the footer is not readable by Google or Yahoo. Its more or less for people that want the RSS feeds of certain forums. Use vbseo's sitemap generator.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Tolitz
          • Dec 2000

Originally posted by tgillespie
          Actually the one in the footer is not readable by Google or Yahoo. Its more or less for people that want the RSS feeds of certain forums. Use vbseo's sitemap generator.
          True, that's the one I'm using, actually... my reply was merely the right answer to his specific question

- T
          OPEN TECH SUPPORT

Comment

• dpunkz
            • Mar 2008

2 more questions...

So if you changed your forums and some other text related things amoung your forum to more Search engine common words rather then what the section is, would that be for the better when getting indexed better with more popular searches then as well...

also so right now my site is set that after 2 views you have to register.. if i changed that and made it 10 views then you are forced to register would that be okay then??? better? wont matter? (regarding Indexing)
            NBA 2K12

Comment

• Tolitz
              • Dec 2000

2 more questions...

So if you changed your forums and some other text related things amoung your forum to more Search engine common words rather then what the section is, would that be for the better when getting indexed better with more popular searches then as well...

also so right now my site is set that after 2 views you have to register.. if i changed that and made it 10 views then you are forced to register would that be okay then??? better? wont matter? (regarding Indexing)
              Other sites linking to your site would boost your page rank more than mere keywords.

As for the other question, how about removing that restriction altogether? If it's a new site, why is it important for guests to register after 2-10 views? If anything else, it'll actually restrict spiders/bots that do regular spidering of your site... what will spiders/bots see after their 10th trip to your forums? A registration page?

- T
              OPEN TECH SUPPORT

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Not only does this prevent you from being listed in search engines decently, it probably lowers the quality of your registrations. When someone is forced to register they are less likely to participate in the long run. Many won't even bother as its just as easy to do a web search to get the information from a less restrictive site.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dpunkz
                  • Mar 2008

My registration rates are really good because of the mod... w/o it i would just have people taking all my content i have to offer.. at least now im generating a good email list.. But **** idk what to do about the indexing thing if this is really going to mess all that up then poop!!! man idk what to do
                  NBA 2K12

Comment

• ThorstenA
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 4.0.x

Your forum title is also important for google as if you have it in every site title like hoopsgaming - thread, hoopsgaming - forum. Use some keywords for your forum title instead.

Comment