Replaced crappy Vista with XP, but what about a dual-boot kind of setup...?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Creepshow
    • May 2005
    • 3.5.x

Computer Chat Replaced crappy Vista with XP, but what about a dual-boot kind of setup...?

Ok here's the deal - my new computer came with Vista installed, but since Vista is a piece of poo (sorry, Microsoft!) I have reverted back to Windows XP (so the computer is now running XP). Much better.

HOWEVER, I want to set up a kind of 'dual-boot' setup so that I can also play around with Vista anyway. Maybe try and get used to it.

I currently have two equal-sized partitions, one of which XP is installed on - and I'm now looking to install Vista on the other one.

How exactly should I go about doing this? I don't want to go and screw things up, you see...
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

XP does not know about Vista, so won't dual boot with it.

Vista knows about XP and can dual boot with it.

So install xp first, then vista on top of it, it allows you to run it aside of eachother and you can use vista's bootloader to switch to xp instead of vista.

Since xp doesn't know vista you can't tell it afterwards to find vista and dual boot to it.

At least, that's what an employee of MS told me in a podcast.

I also always recommend if you don't go with a mac osx system to install xp first, then vista, and then linux.

Linux will be able to dual boot and let you switch between linux and another os, and the other os will be vista, which lets you switch between xp/vista.

Comment

• Creepshow
      • May 2005
      • 3.5.x

Thanks for the reply Floris. Just to be totally clear; Since I already do have XP installed, I can just go ahead and install Vista as well?
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• Thomas P
        • Apr 2001

Yes, just chose another (free) partition
        www.MCSEboard.de
        German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

• Creepshow
          • May 2005
          • 3.5.x

Thanks Thomas and Floris for your help!

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Free partition, or hard drive. With vista this really does not matter.

Comment

• Quillz
              • Nov 2004
              • 5.0.X

Why don't you actually try Vista? Yes, it's different, but I find it vastly better in XP in every way.
              Forums

Comment

• TomJames
                • Feb 2006
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Quillz
                Why don't you actually try Vista? Yes, it's different, but I find it vastly better in XP in every way.
                Same, with 2GB of RAM it runs games, Visual Studio, Cubase etc as well as XP. It's also much better in so many ways, it's almost painful going back to XP on other peoples machines :P
                - TomJames

Comment

• Creepshow
                  • May 2005
                  • 3.5.x

Wow, you two are certainly among the minority. At least from what I've seen and heard. I think Vista is awful.

Comment

• Creepshow
                    • May 2005
                    • 3.5.x

Well, everything went smoothly, and I now have the best of both worlds.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

I am just curious here....

What exactly is "crappy" about Vista? What made you so angry that you need to make this change?
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Creepshow
                        • May 2005
                        • 3.5.x

A search on Google for "Vista sucks" or similair will reveal all.

Mostly, it's the fact that it seems to be incompatible with a lot of programs.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

I was looking more for your take on it.

I have been using Vista since October and have had problems with 2 applications under it... The first was SecureFX in that it kept crashing. I switched to Filezilla and no problems since. The second was with AVG Internet Protection. The firewall continually turned off network discovery and as such I can't use my printers which hook directly to a router so I replaced it with Norton. No problems since.

I have 5 computers. 3 with XP, 1 with Ubuntu and 1 with Vista. Vista is my primary computer and I use it for hours every day. I haven't updated the XP computers because their hardware is between 2 and 5 years old and simply not up to the task. The laptop runs Ubuntu because its low on RAM and that is a nice light interface. Looking to replace one of the XP machines with a Vista one in the next few months. Then that machine will have Ubuntu installed on it for a internal webserver.

I almost didn't upgrade to Vista because of all the "sucks" sites and opinions out there. However I decided to take the chance and try it for myself. For the first two weeks, I didn't like it as much and it take some retraining on how I did things. Now I wouldn't give it up. Linux still isn't suitable enough for my personal usage and Macintoshes are just not in the budget. So I can use a 7 year old OS or bite the bullet. XP provides plenty of aggravations on its own so I updated to Vista.

An OS is not something that can be reviewed in a couple of hours of fiddling with it. There are a lot of things within it that can affect your work. Took me three months to decide to upgrade to Vista. Took me over a year and 100 or so installs to settle on Ubuntu as a linux distribution.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                            • May 2002
                            • 1.1.x

I've been using Vista since RC1 back in late 06. I don't see why people have so much hate about it - I've had better performance on Vista than I had on XP. The only real annoyance was UAC and that is easily switched off.

Comment

• TomJames
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by squall14716
                              I've been using Vista since RC1 back in late 06. I don't see why people have so much hate about it - I've had better performance on Vista than I had on XP. The only real annoyance was UAC and that is easily switched off.
                              Yeah, there seems to be a lot of FUD and ignorance on the internet about Vista . UAC can be annoying but I've gotten into the habbit of installing some older programs to my user folder so I can open them without being asked to deny or allow all the time :P. Most new ones only ask for permission when installing as well which is good .
                              - TomJames

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...