Stay with 3.6.10 or go with 3.7 Gold (when available)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CarterMarkham
    • Apr 2008

Computer Chat Stay with 3.6.10 or go with 3.7 Gold (when available)

I currently have 3.6.9 and am allowed 1 upgrade. I assume if I go to 3.6.10 that will be it. But do you think it is worth it to go with 3.7? I like phto album feature and it would be useful on my forum, and i like a lot of the other features also. I am concerned about one thing though. 3.7 is a complete redesign/rebuild, it is like the first model, and with firsts there are always problems that crop up. I dont want to run into any trouble if I go 3.7. I am just looking for feedback for those who have 3.6.9 and are considering 3.7.

Also it seems addons and templates I want to add to 3.6.9 are not fully compatible, they work well with 3.6.8 fine. People arent making them, probably because of 3.7 due out soon. Any suggestions/feedback?
  • Chousho
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.8.x

I definitely think you should take the plunge and go for 3.7 Gold.

Also, yes, 3.7 is a redesign, however pretty much all of the bugs have been ironed out in the Release Candidates. These things only go Gold when they're proven stable, so don't worry about that

Finally, don't ever stay behind on security updates just because of add-ons. Always put security first and you'll always be safe 3.6.10 and 3.7 are currently the most updates versions, 3.7 being the most feature robust one. As well, 3.7 is just so much fun to play around with since it has so many cool features, so go for it

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

You can upgrade to any version, but you're allowed to run one instance. You can upgrade to 3.6.10, and if your license expiry date hasn't been met yet you can also upgrade to 3.7.0 gold when it comes out. For example, if your license expiry date is in August you can upgrade from 3.6.9 to 3.6.10 now and upgrade next week, next month, or this summer to 3.7.10.

Comment

• CarterMarkham
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Floris
        You can upgrade to any version, but you're allowed to run one instance. You can upgrade to 3.6.10, and if your license expiry date hasn't been met yet you can also upgrade to 3.7.0 gold when it comes out. For example, if your license expiry date is in August you can upgrade from 3.6.9 to 3.6.10 now and upgrade next week, next month, or this summer to 3.7.10.
        I just bought the leased license about 3 weeks ago. So I have unlimited upgrades for 1 year? is that correct? if it is, I will do the 3.6.10 tonight, and (next week maybe?) go GOLDEN! with 3.7!

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by CarterMarkham
          I just bought the leased license about 3 weeks ago. So I have unlimited upgrades for 1 year? is that correct? if it is, I will do the 3.6.10 tonight, and (next week maybe?) go GOLDEN! with 3.7!
          Yes, it dont matter if its a leased or owned license. When you have members area access, you have an unlimited number of times you can upgrade..
          So you have a full year of members area access..

The difference is, when your leased license expires, you can no longer use the software.
          When you have an owned license, you can continue to use the software, but can't upgrade to newer versions until you renew your members area access after the one year term...
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

As long as the expiry date is not passed

After the purchase you have 12 months, within 12 months, whatever version gets released, will be available to you for download. And you can upgrade to this version.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...