Clear All
  • Yours Truly
    • Feb 2007
    • 3.6.x

And your entitled to it

Comment

• Chazel
      • Nov 2007

I don't see why everyone is distraught at this being posted here.

I seem to recall their boards having a thread to discuss 3.7. It's a tad immature to accuse the original poster of being 'paid by IPB'.

Back on-topic, their software looks nice.

They're board and blog look better in my opinion, but obviously everyone's opinion differs.

Comment

• Quillz
        • Nov 2004
        • 5.0.X

I think IPS's products look better in general, but with only a comparable feature set. Jelsoft's products tend to have more features, I think. But either way, they are both great systems, and you can't really go wrong with either.
        Forums

Comment

• Vtec44
          • Jan 2005
          • 3.7.x

If I want a blog software, I'll use WordPress. That's just me though.
          So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

IPB's Blog looks ok, but it's hard to judge with that appalling skin they use these days. I'm told it's "modern" but...errmm....naaah!
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• pank
              • Mar 2001

Is the IPB blog nice? Sure...
              Do I prefer vB's blog system over theirs? Absolutely.

As somebody who actually tried to offer a Blog add on for my IPB skins it was a total nightmare. Sure it looks nice and does have a good feature list but that is where it ends.

To me an "add on" product should be just that. It should for the most part seamlessly integrate with the core software which in this case is forum software. While trying to create an IPB blog add on all we ran into were problems. Whether it was a bug with their templates or the way they code their software we ran into constant issues (so many issues I decided it wasn't worth the effort to even offer such a product). It just gets mind boggling when you dig in and see how things are put together. To this day I still don't understand why they do not use existing forum CSS for their add on products.

On the other hand when vB released their blog software I was going to offer a new blog add on for my vB skins. Guess what... No add on item was needed. The Blog simply worked with all my forum skins with zero changes. That made me extremely happy and my customers even happier because they did not need to make an extra purchase.

The vB devs don't get enough credit in my opinion. They use existing CSS code, they use existing templates from the forum software to tie it all together neatly and seamlessly.

The bottom line is in my opinion vB software is much cleaner and easier to work with. I'd much rather have that right now and let the new features flow in down the road.

My 2 cents. Forgive me for venting
              Bob- (pank)
              pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

• pank
                • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                I assume vblog will be updated to support a customized look since this can now be done for profiles in 3.7.

The rest of the features seem to be on par except for content blocks, that would be a nice addition for botht he blogs and profiles.
                I may have misunderstood your post so forgive me if I am off base.
                You can use a custom look for the vB blog right now. If you are using any skin other than the default vB skin the blog will use that design.
                Bob- (pank)

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • Dec 2000

Hasn't the IPS Blog been out for 3 years? Where the vBulletin blog has been out 8 months?

We've only done our initial release and new blog feature requests are welcomed. Development has already started on the next version.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 1.1.x

I like vBulletins version as it is no 'Roach Motel'. I guess I should wait until it is stable release before I peck it to death. (I will do that cause it is nothing new that I have not seen in 'Wordpress').

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                      • Sep 2001

Pank - no, I knew that vblog would inherit the custom forum styles (never crossed my mind that it wouldn't!) but I meant like the personalized user profiles where the users are specificying colors and all that. A little thing.
                      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• TheComputerGuy
                        • Apr 2001

I think I will renew my vB blog looking at this.

Comment

• pank
                          • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                          Pank - no, I knew that vblog would inherit the custom forum styles (never crossed my mind that it wouldn't!) but I meant like the personalized user profiles where the users are specificying colors and all that. A little thing.
                          Ahhh, now I see what you meant
                          Bob- (pank)

Comment

• Lizard King
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2004
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                            Hasn't the IPS Blog been out for 3 years? Where the vBulletin blog has been out 8 months?

We've only done our initial release and new blog feature requests are welcomed. Development has already started on the next version.
                            Scott , do you mind to share what new features are planned for the next version ?

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                              • Feb 2005
                              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Lizard King
                              Scott , do you mind to share what new features are planned for the next version ?
                              Had to do it..

Comment

• Lizard King
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2004
                                • 3.6.x

Is that thread created by a Jelsoft team member ?

Is your name Scott ?

if the question is not directed to you , you have to shut down.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...