Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shining Arcanine
    • Feb 2003

Computer Chat Sun Microsystems is close sourcing MySQL

I am surprised no one posted about this before I did. Sun Microsystems is close sourcing MySQL:

An anonymous reader writes "From the MySQL User's Conference, Sun has announced, and former CEO Marten Mickos has confirmed, that Sun will be close sourcing sections of the MySQL code base. Sun will begin with close sourcing the backup solutions to MySQL, and will continue with more advanced feature...

I wonder how this will affect vBulletin.
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

All they confirmed is that newer features may only be available in their enterprise version, in this case its the hot backup features.

Only time can tell about the other stuff.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Martz
      • Apr 2001

Perhaps vB might get a choice of database engines now?
      HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
      -
      Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Considering Sun is also the company behind Open Office / Star Office, I am not too worried. Open Office has a lot of features and remains Open Source. Star Office adds some corporate features and file filters and has a minimal cost.

MySQL has already been distributed under a dual-licensing model for the last 5 years with a community support GPL version and a corporate version with support. I don't see this change as any different.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Considering Sun is also the company behind Open Office / Star Office, I am not too worried. Open Office has a lot of features and remains Open Source. Star Office adds some corporate features and file filters and has a minimal cost.

MySQL has already been distributed under a dual-licensing model for the last 5 years with a community support GPL version and a corporate version with support. I don't see this change as any different.
          If they start slapping MySQL users with an absurd licensing fee for each installation of MySQL, will you be worried then Wayne?
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Even closed source doesn't have to mean it will no longer be free. Even if it becomes commercial, it doesn't have to mean it won't be affordable. Imagine it becomes quite expansive, a hosting company could license the server and spread the cost with the customers, a $2 hosting account would perhaps be $4. Instead of the customer paying $2 for the hosting and $99/yr for a license.

Since I am not in the business of MySQL and other db servers and hosting. I have no idea about this and will simply see what time will tell. I am not worried at all.

I paid for vBulletin because it's good, and I will pay for MySQL if needed.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
              If they start slapping MySQL users with an absurd licensing fee for each installation of MySQL, will you be worried then Wayne?
              Java is availabe for no cost...

Open Office is available for no cost...

Even Solaris is available for no cost...

People have been crying that the next version of MySQL is going to be commercial and have big fees for the last five years, before Sun owned the technology. I don't see why they would change the current licensing model when it is the same as all their other product offerings. Quite frankly, MySQL's licensing is the only reason that it can think about competing in the marketplace. Oracle, DB/M, SQL Server, and Sybase all have it beat in features, scalability, stability and enterprise penetration. Sun wants to compete with Microsoft and it won't do that by pissing off the users of its products, especially one that is still an underdog in the market.

Not only that, but they cannot retroactively revoke the GPL on current versions/installations of the software. Those installations will still exist and people will still use them while they convert to Postgres, Firebird, MaxDB or Ingres. Or maybe even the OSS Oracle Express.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Gomjaba
                • Jan 2005
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Sun wants to compete with Microsoft and it won't do that by pissing off the users of its products, especially one that is still an underdog in the market.
                Agree 100%

Talking about MSSQL - time to make vb working on ASP / MSSQL
                I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am!

Comment

• Cromulent
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Gomjaba
                  Agree 100%

Talking about MSSQL - time to make vb working on ASP / MSSQL
                  Nah, PostgreSQL would be a much better bet if MySQL ever (and I doubt it will) becomes too expensive for vBulletin to rely on.

Comment

• Jerry
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Cromulent
                    Nah, PostgreSQL would be a much better bet if MySQL ever (and I doubt it will) becomes too expensive for vBulletin to rely on.
                    Indeed PostgreSQL would make more sense, supporting MSSQL makes some sense, going to ASP does not.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...