• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Creepshow
    • May 2005
    • 3.5.x

WoW (World of Warcraft)

...worth it or not?
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!
  • Casco
    • Jan 2008

I dont like it, I play EVE online now. that is fun, but is quite complicated.
    my first ever site: http://horizon-lounge.net/

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Depends on what you are looking for. Its one of the online games that my wife and I play occasionally. Though right now its in a lull waiting for the next expansion so there is something to do in the game. Eve is another decent game, just wasn't enough interaction in my experience to make it worthwhile.

Download the demo for WoW and see it for yourself.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MidnightPyro
        • Dec 2001
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        Depends on what you are looking for. Its one of the online games that my wife and I play occasionally. Though right now its in a lull waiting for the next expansion so there is something to do in the game. Eve is another decent game, just wasn't enough interaction in my experience to make it worthwhile.

Download the demo for WoW and see it for yourself.
        My problem was I could never get far enough for the expansion to be any use to me. Seemed like it was hours of the same thing - grinding trying to get to a higher level, and it became quite repetitive quickly, especially considering it could take days of constant playing time to gain a level

EVE on the other hand...I tried the demo, and I don't think I actually saw anyone else in the game. I've heard that can be dull too, but honestly, I haven't played it enough to have much of an opinion.

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

I never understood why I should a) pay for the game and b) keep paying to be allowed playing it.

Not worth it in my eyes.

Comment

• Creepshow
            • May 2005
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Floris
            I never understood why I should a) pay for the game and b) keep paying to be allowed playing it.

Not worth it in my eyes.
            Exactly my thoughts as well, Floris. I don't think I'm going to bother with it afterall...
            "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MidnightPyro
              My problem was I could never get far enough for the expansion to be any use to me. Seemed like it was hours of the same thing - grinding trying to get to a higher level, and it became quite repetitive quickly, especially considering it could take days of constant playing time to gain a level
              You should be teaming up with people and running quests. Doing quests and instances, you can be in the expansion in 8 days of playing time.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Not worth it in my eyes.
                Depends on what you are interested in. Been paying for online games since the mid-80s. You meet people, join communities and create friendships. There are free games out there but the quality lacks and there is no troll control.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TruthElixirX
                  • Sep 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Not worth it in my eyes.
                  The same reason you renew your vB support and/or license yearly.

Comment

• Creepshow
                    • May 2005
                    • 3.5.x

I went with the similair GuildWars in the end. No subscription fees. Screw WoW.

Comment

• Mazinger
                      • Jul 2005
                      • 3.7.x

Not worth it in my eyes.
                      I think we shouldn't be paying for vBulletin then.
                      $post[signature]

Comment

• Creepshow
                        • May 2005
                        • 3.5.x

Yeah but you don't have to keep paying to use vBulletin. I don't know why everyone is jumping on Floris about this...

Comment

• TomJames
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 3.8.x

I agree that most online games aren't worth paying for, having said that I've started playing EVE again , great game if you're more interested in the corporation and back stabbing kind of game.

WoW is cool too but I found it overly repetitive
                          - TomJames

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TomJames
                            I agree that most online games aren't worth paying for, having said that I've started playing EVE again , great game if you're more interested in the corporation and back stabbing kind of game.

WoW is cool too but I found it overly repetitive
                            Everything in life is repeitive.

Comment

• Chousho
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 3.8.x

Oh WoW, a topic on Wow!
                              I just started playing about a week ago, at the perseverance and pressure of my friends. I started the 10 day trial and found the game so fun I bought it a few days later.

I'm pretty sure the only reason people wouldn't find it fun is if they don't have any friends who play. I've been playing a little bit every day and have found the game so much fun to play with friends. I'm sure if I was doing it alone it wouldn't be as interesting, but then again I'm sure I could just make friends with people in the game, anyway.

Coming from Final Fantasy XI to WoW has helped, as well, as many of same ideas are interchangeable with maybe a slight name-change and some different stats.

As for paying monthly: so what? It's $15 or so a month for a fun game that has a pretty high quality level. I'm sure I could find some free games that have the same kind of idea behind them, but don't have the same standard of quality. Even still, if you decide not to play for a while and not pay, your character will still be there when you decide to come back.

The developers and all the other staff at the WoW section of Blizzard obviously are given great incentives to produce an awesome game. If paying a small fee results in them working hard, taking care of the servers, bug fixes and the like, while still having new stories come out that I can play and have fun exploring a pretty massive world, then the paltry fee is more than worth it.

In the end it's individual choice; if someone wants to play a very high quality MMORPG that has a high population, they'll most likely pay a monthly fee. If they're cheap or don't want to pay a monthly fee, they can always find some game that's most likely second rate (at best) or has a low population.

As for the VBulletin connection, it's hard to draw an accurate comparison. I suppose it would be like comparing the leased VB license to that of phpBB or the like. One is a standard that requires someone to pay. The other has a large community of people working on it, but not as motivated as they don't actually have an income relying upon it. In the end, I feel it's better to pay for quality than settle for complacency.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...