Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rnn-2
    • Apr 2004

Banned user Rights

I have a user that I banned, he's writing me telling me that if he hasn't violated the forum rules or policy, which he hasn't, I have to allow him in.

He was a PIA in another forum ( I just don't like him) so I banned him, he is threating legal action.

Is he correct do I need to let him in?

Does freedom of speech or something else come into play here?

Has anyone ever been sued?
  • Dilly
    • Mar 2005

Of course you don't need to let him in. It's your forum, you don't owe him anything.

There is no such thing as freedom of speech.

Comment

• rnn-2
      • Apr 2004

Forgot to explain, there are other members talking about him and he claims he has no way to defend himself, therefor freedom of speech

Comment

• yogib
        • Dec 2007
        • 3.7.x

Do you have a Terms of Use policy? You can point a section out to the user where they are in violation.

Comment

• rnn-2
          • Apr 2004

As I said their not in violation?

Comment

• yogib
            • Dec 2007
            • 3.7.x

Just trying to help. If he's not violating anything in your terms, why don't you update your terms that reflects the behavior, and give the user a warning.

I don't know about banning someone just because you don't like them...would you want places you post to ban you just because? (I'm not trying to be a smart a...)

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Freedom of speech is void as soon as they sign up. Plain an simple.
              It is your site, your rules. Without prior notice you can block whoever you want with a reason or not. Let them complain and threat and go to court. It's his time and trouble, and his money he's wasting. I've banned enough people as a preventive measure. They complained, I ignored. Getting access to a web site is a privilege, not a right.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Originally posted by rnn-2
                Forgot to explain, there are other members talking about him and he claims he has no way to defend himself, therefor freedom of speech
                wiki:

"Freedom of speech is the concept of being able to speak freely without censorship.Freedom of speech is one of the crowning achievments in civilization however many people being opprotunists abuse freedom of speech to launch endless waves of verbal hand grenades although this freedom was meant to be able to speak ones mind without government opposition many now simply interperet this freedom to simply mean the right to be legitimately intolerant."

Comment

• Shane
                  • Oct 2000
                  • 3.8.x

No lawyer would take the case. It be a total waste of time, even if you did it yourself. I think even in the vB register text it says that you can be banned for any reason.
                  Shane
                  CIO, FrakMedia.net
                  Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

• Onimua
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by yogib
                    Just trying to help. If he's not violating anything in your terms, why don't you update your terms that reflects the behavior, and give the user a warning.

I don't know about banning someone just because you don't like them...would you want places you post to ban you just because? (I'm not trying to be a smart a...)
                    Sometimes it happens.

It's your site, your rules, you allow them to be on your site. They're not paying for it, they're not supporting it, they're just visiting. It's like going to someone's house; it's theirs, not yours. If they don't want you to be there, don't go, and if you still try it, you're trespassing.
                    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• birdie
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by rnn-2
                      he is threating legal action.
                      I make pubic fools of these people by starting a thread on the threats. I just tell them that "I am really looking forward to seeing you in court. Bring it on."

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                        • Jun 2002

My personal belief is that if something happens on another site, but my community isn't dragged in, then it stays there and they aren't banned from my community.

However if something happens in another site, and my community can be potentially dragged into it, or has been dragged into it, they are banned.
                        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Chazel
                          • Nov 2007

Be aware that you can ban anyone for any reason whatsoever, just as you can do with your own home.

He's blowing smoke, and think logically: who's going to pay thousands of dollars in lawyer fees to regain access to a forum?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

Then again there are lawyers who would pursue frivolous lawsuits if there's a quick buck to be made
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Fusion
                              • Aug 2001
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                              Then again there are lawyers who would pursue frivolous lawsuits if there's a quick buck to be made
                              Yeah, at least they'd threaten on behalf of the client(s) as a scare-tactic to make you settle out of court.
                              Toddler from Hell

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...