X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msimplay
    • Feb 2003
    • 3.6.x

Vbulletin 3.7 who's going to upgrade

The new features all sound good and everything but I don't know if I really want all these networking features.
    I mean I theres currently no way to use the legacy profiles and I was thinking the social networking aspect should have been an addon module like the Blog is

What are your thoughts ?. I mean I was thinking this social working stuff isn't really going to suit some of the more professional websites that use vBulletin.
    The social bookmarks etc are all fine but the profiles ?
    rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs
  • Razasharp
    • Feb 2005
    • 3.7.x

The new SN side of vB is going to be a BIG hit.

The only thing that concerns me off is whether it has enough of the functionality my sites need.

Forums these days are just not enough, and I have to do what's best for my sites at the end of the day.
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

So turn them off. You can still use the tabbed format of the new profile to display more information about users without allowing the social networking aspects to be turned on.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dirtycrow
        • Apr 2004

already running it and I love it. you can turn it off if you don't like it, but it adds a new layer to the site that some will like a lot.
        HI

Comment

• msimplay
          • Feb 2003
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          So turn them off. You can still use the tabbed format of the new profile to display more information about users without allowing the social networking aspects to be turned on.
          You can use legacy profiles ?

Comment

• msimplay
            • Feb 2003
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Razasharp
            The new SN side of vB is going to be a BIG hit.

The only thing that concerns me off is whether it has enough of the functionality my sites need.

Forums these days are just not enough, and I have to do what's best for my sites at the end of the day.
            Agreed for some sites the social networking is needed but what about those that don't need it. I think there should be some kind of choice otherwise the company could lose some clients. I mean when IPB changed to using their new profiles they had the option for legacy profiles to be used I admit not a whole lot of sites use legacy but there are some that do since its the element of choice is there

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by msimplay
              You can use legacy profiles ?
              Go into your current style and edit the MEMBERINFO template and save it. Should not be overwritten in the patch and should show all the appropriate information. You can also edit the tabbed profile to remove the javascript that stacks the tables and have a basic linear profile with it as well. Everything else like Visitor Messages, Profile Customization, Social Groups and even the Photo Albums can be disabled in the Admin CP.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• msimplay
                • Feb 2003
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Go into your current style and edit the MEMBERINFO template and save it. Should not be overwritten in the patch and should show all the appropriate information. You can also edit the tabbed profile to remove the javascript that stacks the tables and have a basic linear profile with it as well. Everything else like Visitor Messages, Profile Customization, Social Groups and even the Photo Albums can be disabled in the Admin CP.
                Thanks Wayne but its not really a support request I just wanted to discuss what other users think about all of this

Comment

• Mazinger
                  • Jul 2005
                  • 3.7.x

The new social networking features will be a very good add to my friendship-based forum, however I'm not going to use most of the rest new features.

What I'm worried about, how will my newbies member be able to use the new features in a suitable way: groups, albums, tags... etc.
                  $post[signature]

Comment

• Vtec44
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 3.7.x

I'm already running it on one of my new forums. I like it so far, something new and will keep users entertained.
                    So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• JakeS
                      • Jul 2005

I will upgrade and use it, however only once I finalize my choice of options for the forum and it goes gold.

Comment

• Razasharp
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by msimplay
                        Agreed for some sites the social networking is needed but what about those that don't need it. I think there should be some kind of choice otherwise the company could lose some clients. I mean when IPB changed to using their new profiles they had the option for legacy profiles to be used I admit not a whole lot of sites use legacy but there are some that do since its the element of choice is there
                        As Wayne said, you can do a template edit to change them back if you really want to.

On the whole, the market has been crying out for these features - and Jelsoft has responded, and you know what... we still want more!

Anyone who runs a community site will recognise these new features are extremely important (including the ones Jelsoft hasn't added yet). If people need 'just' a forum they can either disable these features or get a really simple forum from somewhere else - however my guess is most people want feature-rich, not feature-less.
                        What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

I always upgrade to the latest stable release, (and even the beta's). I want to have the latest features, bug fixes and improvements. This is not just vB, it's any software I use - I prefer to use the latest version to ensure best performance.

Comment

• MrNase
                            • Jun 2003
                            • 3.8.x

I will update but I am not sure when.

3.7 isn't what I expected it to be (see the suggestion forum, I am not the only one who thinks so) and it would require major work to upgrade and I don't think it's worth it at the moment.

I have always been a loyal customer but things change.
                            That's the end of that!

Comment

• TheComputerGuy
                              • Apr 2001

I use it on a site I didn't think it would be useful...and my members love it!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...