Advertising income with your forum - Anyone making over $100K per year ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vtec44
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris
    That would not be me, but the owners of those boards (usually some sort of company or media company) to answer. I've poked them to this thread, but I doubt they will bother posting. Seeing how busy they are working on their forum as a full time day job. One board actually set up a small office in San Diego last year from where they have a dedicated tech staff member, and an forum and site administrator (from what I heard).
    San Diego is just about 2 hours from me

If it's okay, can you tell me what category these 2 boards are in, ie. automotive, powersports, gaming, etc? I just want to get a general understanding of the category that they're in. Thanks.
    So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Sorry I can not do that.

Comment

• Vtec44
        • Jan 2005
        • 3.7.x

No problem! It's definitely impressive to see what you can do with that amount of users and traffic.
        So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

We can talk live if you want - without me disclosing anything - about this if you want .. irc.vbirc.com channel #chat for public and #private for private chat.

Comment

• Vtec44
            • Jan 2005
            • 3.7.x

I definitely appreciate the offer FLoris. I'll take you up on it one of these days

Comment

• Redseal
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Floris
              That would not be me, but the owners of those boards (usually some sort of company or media company) to answer. I've poked them to this thread, but I doubt they will bother posting. Seeing how busy they are working on their forum as a full time day job. One board actually set up a small office in San Diego last year from where they have a dedicated tech staff member, and an forum and site administrator (from what I heard).
              Cool, thanks floris!
              I love lamp

Comment

• T.S.
                • Apr 2006

I think lee dodd was supposedly making around 100k per month from sprintusers.com at one point.

Comment

• dpunkz
                  • Mar 2008

I got a site comming soon..... $50,000 scripted page and the money we will be making will grow each day!
                  NBA 2K12

Comment

• D. Thomas
                    • Jan 2006

Since I started this thread I guess I should come clean with the fact that my site www.practicalmachinist.com is generating about $100,000 per year, but I (the owner) personally am only getting a small percentage of that. Reason being I'm in partnership with a magazine and they handle all the ad sales, billing, and everything in connection with the ads.

Just thought I'd mention the magazine partnership idea as a possibility some might consider for their sites.

But getting back to other forums, I'd be very curious to know how much sites like www.corvetteforum.com that have way more activity and ads than my site, are making per year. They might be making way more than $100K per year or they might be making less, in spite of more activity and ad numbers because perhaps they can't get away with charging as much per ad as the more specialized audience sites like mine ? But I really don't know, so am curious.

Comment

• l SKN l CHRIS
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 3.6.x

I think webhostingtalk.com makes millions of dollars a year.

Comment

• hornstar6969
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

At the end of the day I end up about even for my forum, But I am putting in around $1000 a month. I had some real good ideas how to increase that, however just became to busy to follow through with my plans.
                        Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• D. Thomas
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by hornstar6969
                          At the end of the day I end up about even for my forum, But I am putting in around $1000 a month. I had some real good ideas how to increase that, however just became to busy to follow through with my plans.
                          Yeah I'm in similar situation, where I have a regular (not web based) business that is more fun and way more profitable, so I never seem to get around to making the additions to my site that I want to. Thus the magazine partnership, where I don't get nearly as much personal income from the site as I might, but OTOH I don't have to lift a finger except to deposit their monthy check.

But at some point I will retire and concentrate more on running the forum site and perhaps take over the ad sales then, unless a magazine partnership offers a higher percentage.

But if I knew it was at least possible to generate even more than $100K a year with a site like mine it would be tempting to hire an employee to deal with the ads, and/or retire early, thus my continued curiosity about these things.

Comment

• D. Thomas
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by T.S.
                            I think lee dodd was supposedly making around 100k per month from sprintusers.com at one point.
                            Just out of curiosity, how do you know ?

Comment

• Dilly
                              • Mar 2005

Well done. You really did a good job of disguising this thread...

;-)

Comment

• Mixlogy
                                • Mar 2007
                                • 3.8.x

okay
                                :D

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...