Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

AMD was always too hot
    Then they had a nice year with some good procs (but I already moved away from that platform)
    And Intel is owning them.

Intel is the clear winner here. End of discussion

Comment

• MrNase
      • Jun 2003
      • 3.8.x

My iMac runs on an Intel Core Duo, my MacBook runs on an Intel Core 2 Duo and the new PC I built for my dad also runs on an Intel (Q6600 Quad Core).

The clear winner is: Intel.
      That's the end of that!

Comment

• dkon26
        • Jul 2007
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris
        AMD was always too hot
        Then they had a nice year with some good procs (but I already moved away from that platform)
        And Intel is owning them.

Intel is the clear winner here. End of discussion
        I agree with Floris. AMD runs at very high temps. I have owned a few AMD machines that just did not perform as well as my Intels. I would buy another AMD if I wanted to have a computer/oven combo though.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.5.x

Intel all the way

Comment

• kuyenmotdivad
            • Apr 2006
            • 4.1.x

I am currently using an AMD Sempron 3100+ but I am thinking about switching back to Intel again.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Faisal Shah
              Hey Guys,
              How you doing? hope all are cool! and enjoying vBulletin!

well. I just wanted to have some discussion in between AMD and Intel Inside!

Which on of the following you prefer? and WHY???

Enjoy

FAISAL~!
              Well.
              I PERSONALLY have used both of them and i like Intel Inside! because this processor is more faster with less heat up LOL!

I am still looking for your answers!

FAISAL!
              I love my Core 2 Duo.

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego
              If intel so good, then why when I go to any store that sell computers with both processors and be told to stay away from duo core or the quad from intel. I was told that intel was inflating and boosting bogus results. I am including every store from box to specialty. Only place I could not find any good source, is from websites. It could be that every retailer in every store had an AMD representative pop in and told them to sell their product and you get a bigger piece of the pie or it is true.
              Computer nerds (in the US anyway) typically consider people who work at mainstream computer stores to be technically incompetent. It is rare that you find someone working at one of them that understands how computers work.

Also, there are plenty of good websites out there that test various processors. Here are a few:

http://www.techreport.com/ - this is the one I visit most
              http://www.anandtech.com/ - this is the one I visit second most
              http://www.hardocp.com/ - this is one of the biggest there is
              Our goal is to help you find the best when looking for tech. From PC components to drones, we've got you covered.

They are very reputable independent review sites and benchmark results are what you should go by. Here is a link to a review article comparing Intel's Conroe processors with AMD's Winsor and Barcelona processors:

By the way, Core 2 Duo processors in general, are Conroe processors (although Merom ones are starting to come out, but right now only the $999 one is a Merom processor). AMD's Phenom processors are Barcelona processors and AMD's Athlon 64 X2 processors are generally Winsor processors. I could make this much more confusing if I was to including processor revision numbers, but I will not discuss them for now.

Originally posted by Greps
              *gasp* does anyone still use AMD/ATI stuff?
              AMD/ATI fanatics swear by it, but they are in the underwhelming minority of computer nerds.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

I decided to go with nvidia for a change to see how it'd go, so far I've enjoyed the video card, but i havent used any DX10 ATI cards yet either?

Comment

• DJDarknez
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 3.7.x

Currently running an Intel dual core. Last PC ran an AMD. I have no preference. I decided on Intel for this build just for the heck of it.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                    Computer nerds (in the US anyway) typically consider people who work at mainstream computer stores to be technically incompetent. It is rare that you find someone working at one of them that understands how computers work.
                    I pretty much figure what the abilities of both processors by viewing what I alredy posted. Thanks for the other links though.

Comment

• Dismounted
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                      Also, there are plenty of good websites out there that test various processors. Here are a few:

http://www.techreport.com/ - this is the one I visit most
                      http://www.anandtech.com/ - this is the one I visit second most
                      http://www.hardocp.com/ - this is one of the biggest there is
                      Our goal is to help you find the best when looking for tech. From PC components to drones, we've got you covered.

http://www.firingsquad.net/
                      You forgot Tom's . http://www.tomshardware.com/

Comment

• mihai11
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 3.6.x

All my machines are based on AMD processors except for my laptop which is based on an 1.5 GHZ Centrino (it is 3.5 years old now). When I buy a new computer I usually spend around 150 euros per processor, that means that I am not buying the best available CPU. If you are looking for the best performance for your money then AMD is the choice.

If you are looking for the absolute best performance then, at present, you should look at Intel. At present, Intel is a bit ahead of AMD in this regard.

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

I agree, Intel is ahead now, but doesn't mean they are in 5 years from now.
                          If you ask now: Go for Intel. Unless you feel more comfortable with the AMD.
                          For later: simply wait what will be released.

Comment

• mihai11
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 3.6.x

Isn't anybody concerned that AMD might just die ? That would be a very unfortunate situation for the buyers in all the countries.

As long as I am not interested in the absolute best performance, I always chose AMD over Intel, because I would hate to find myself in the situation of chosing from Intel only.

I don't know if people do remember some old CPU producers ... like Cyrix. Now, they were producing some really brain-dead processors. It would have been a sacrifice to buy from them, but the situation is not the same with AMD because AMD does provide good performance per / euro.

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

AMD won't die. They are a healthy competitor to Intel. They do more then just put a chip in a box in a computer store for consumers.

Comment

• mihai11
                                • Dec 2005
                                • 3.6.x

It's very hard to predict the future in the CPU game. AMD has been traditionally supported by the "enthusiast" market .... people that know much more about CPUs that the average guy.

A lot of people buy from Intel because they know nothing about CPUs. It is easy to keep such people loyal, but with computer geeks .... loyalty must be sustained with numbers. If AMD will lack the "numbers" this whole year then they will not be in a nice position at the end of the year. Their cash reserves are already gone because they chosed to buy ATI.

A similar move literaly obliterated the top performer of the video card market a few years ago. The first company to introduce real 3D support in video cards was 3dfx. 3dfx bought another company, then they had a bad year then .... END OF STORY for them. Nobody remembers 3dfx anymore, yet they were the market leaders at a time.

AMD is not the market leader in CPUs. For them in can be even easier to get out of business. The year 2008 is crucial for AMD.
                                Last edited by mihai11; Thu 31 Jan '08, 12:30pm. Reason: Changed "Voodoo" into "3dfx"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...