X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ND4SPD
    • Dec 2006
    • 3.6.x

Spam registrations

Didn't know where else to put this so here goes...

I'm getting a TON of spam registrations on one of my forums; running v3.7.0 beta 3. Currently the image verification is off until I can get my hosting provider to upgrade to Freetype2 as has been suggested. Even with previous versions of vB when I did have the image verification system on I'd get these registrations. The weird thing is none of these spammers actually post anything. They just register and never come back. There is no pattern to source IP or email addresses for me to ban.

I think somehow my site must have made it on to some sort of 'list' for these guys to hit and I don't really know how to get it off there. Really it's not harmful in any way, I'm just getting sick of deleting these dud accounts. Any suggestions?
    www.motorcycleaddicts.org
    www.osxunderground.com
  • DoE
    • Sep 2007

3.7 has the Question & Answer verification, use that instead of the Image verification.
    vBulletin Options -> Human Verification Manager -> Human Verification Options

Comment

• ND4SPD
      • Dec 2006
      • 3.6.x

Thanks. I have not tried that yet.
      www.motorcycleaddicts.org
      www.osxunderground.com

Comment

• jeffinj
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DoE
        3.7 has the Question & Answer verification, use that instead of the Image verification.
        vBulletin Options -> Human Verification Manager -> Human Verification Options
        Thats something I was waiting for.
        At vb.org they have similar hack called 'No Spam'
        www.christianforumsite.com
        sigpic

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
          • Feb 2005
          • 1.1.x

reCAPTCHA Verification is weaker then Image Verification in older version 3.x.x series. I have been testing on another members site and you do not need to iput exact two words shown.

I have been testing it on mine for 30 minutes and seem that you really do not need to be accurate ever time or most times is more like it. I have acculmulated a list and I am not at all impress with how this works. I will stick with older method, as it still works correctly. At least you need to correctly input exact characters and not a simular like text.
          *reCAPTCHA
          *Incorrect Input
          Medical business = modical buslnoss
          Fairbanks plea = Pairbanks plea
          De dozen = Do dozon
          others Keytape = ethors Keytope

Comment