X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPT62089
    • Jun 2004
    • 3.6.x

Way Off-Topic Party Affiliation

I realize that this isn't exactly the place to ask this, but I trust you guys, and I don't want to sign up on some other forums just to ask one question ;P

When I registered to vote, I signed up with a Republican Affiliation. Now once November rolls around, will I be able to vote for someone who is a Democrat? Or am I limited to only Republicans now unless I re-register?

And please keep this thread civilized and only to answer my question. No debating or arguing!

Edit: I live in Cali if anyone needs that information.
    Last edited by JPT62089; Fri 11 Jan '08, 10:54pm.
    http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.
  • Radon3k
    • Nov 2001

I believe that depending on the state during the primaries, you may only be able to vote for the party which you are affiliated with. During the last general election in 2004 I was never told that I had to vote one way or the other. I just went to the polling booth and cast my vote. Why did you register as a Republican if you may vote for a Democrat? Why not just stay independent?

Comment

• JPT62089
      • Jun 2004
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Radon3k
      I'm not entirely sure about the general election but I believe that depending on the state during the primaries, you may only be able to vote for the party which you are affiliated with. Why did you register as a Republican if you may vote for a Democrat? Why not just stay independent?
      Because I just turned 18 this last June, and I just said w/e and checked Rep, lol

So if I am Independent then I can vote for anyone for sure?
      http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

• Radon3k
        • Nov 2001

I'm not entirely sure what all the rules are as far as registering one way or the other. I merely meant that if you're unregistered you should be able to vote for whomever you choose.

I applaud your eagerness to participate in the electoral process but I would recommend that you take some time to look at all sides, all parties, all views on all issues and see which party you agree with the most. If you don't agree with any one particular party, remain independent. Simply registering as a Republican because you needed to check a box, in a way, defeats the purpose of the electoral process. I'm not encouraging you to vote one way or the other, that's for you to decide. I just don't like to see people making arbitrary votes when they may not be sure where they stand. However if you do know where you stand then feel free to ignore this as I mean no offense.

Comment

• r007
          • Mar 2003
          • 3.5.x

Registering for a party is only for the primary election and mailings. Candidates (and anyone else with access to a computer) are allowed access to the list of registered republicans / democrats (Names, mailing addresses, date of birth, phone number, etc) so they can solicit you for money.

As far as I know, if you are not registered for a party, you are not allowed to vote in the primary election? I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think independents have a primary.

In the primary election, you can only vote for your registered party. The primary election is just for who you want to see your party nominate for their candidate.

In the general election, you can vote for anyone you choose.
          -r007

Comment