Cool, Normal, Warm or Custom setting on your LCD monitor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razasharp
    • Feb 2005
    • 3.7.x

Cool, Normal, Warm or Custom setting on your LCD monitor?

Most LCD/TFT monitors have a colour tone option, just wondering which setting you have gone for on yours.

If you've chosen 'custom' please elobarate :-)
    Cool
    25.00%
    Normal
    20.83%
    Warm
    8.33%
    Custom (please elaborate)
    20.83%
    Left on default settings
    25.00%
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?
  • kerplunk
    • Aug 2002

Monitor calibration is extremely important.

AVS Forum has some good info on that.

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Mine has various pre-set settings. Such as "Text, Movie, DVD, Standard, Gaming" etc. I do use them all. But use the "Text" setting for normal viewing, as it has the least brightness.

Comment

• Mazinger
        • Jul 2005
        • 3.7.x

It's less bright than normal, not using TrueType and using Windows classic theme.
        $post[signature]

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Custom, I have albinism and full 100% contrast and brightness in normal is too much for my eyes sometimes. I have a preset to switch between. It's balanced against a color calibrated monitor so what I see on the screen is also what adobe saves as image, and also how it is printed, etc.

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

I'm the same, if the monitor is too bright it starts to give me headaches, which is why for normal use I use the least brightness and contrast pre-setting of "text" mode. I only switch to something like Movie mode on the monitor if I'm watching a movie in full screen mode using DivX Player.

Comment

• navratilova
              • Nov 2008
              • 2.0.x

Hi, my desktop computer starts promptly, but it takes my LCD monitor about 10 minutes to display the desktop. When I turn my computer I can hear it start up. I heard the Microsoft start-up music and the announcement that my anti-virus has been updated, etc. But all doing this time and for about 10 more minutes my LCD monitor screen is blank. After which, I heard the MS music again and the desktop appears on the monitor. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
              Last edited by navratilova; Mon 24 Nov '08, 10:32pm.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                • May 2003

I generally use a cool setting on all my LCD's (TV's included), but that'll change for this computer once I get a more up to date monitor. Mainly because I need the color calibration similar to what Floris described.
                Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Quillz
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 5.0.X

I don't know for sure. I have an iMac and it's on the standard contrast settings, which I'll just assume is "Normal."
                  Forums

Comment

• Quillz
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 5.0.X

Originally posted by navratilova
                    Hi, my desktop computer starts promptly, but it takes my LCD monitor about 10 minutes to display the desktop. When I turn my computer I can hear it start up. I heard the Microsoft start-up music and the announcement that my anti-virus has been updated, etc. But all doing this time and for about 10 more minutes my LCD monitor screen is blank. After which, I heard the MS music again and the desktop appears on the monitor. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
                    Maybe your monitor is going bad?
                    Forums

Comment

• Kier
                      Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
                      • Sep 2000

6500 kelvin on all of my monitors, calibrated with an XRite Eye-One.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Whatever it shipped with. Don't even know how to change it. Not sure what benefit I would get if I did.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DoE
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          Whatever it shipped with. Don't even know how to change it. Not sure what benefit I would get if I did.
                          It adjusts the blue component of white light to try to create a neutral-white light. There is no set world standard for color temp, so adjust it to your personal preference (how the picture looks best to you). I leave mine defaulted which is balanced somewhere between blue-white light and yellowish-white light.
                          Last edited by DoE; Mon 24 Nov '08, 6:15am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Okay.. the monitor looks fine to me at the default. That is why I bought it in the first place after looking at over 200 monitors in the store.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DoE
                              • Sep 2007

Superstores have a bad habit of adjusting temp settings to push a model that isn't selling to well.

Example: LCD model A costs $80.00 and LCD model B costs $200.00. Both models have the same dimensions and their picture looks the same, so Model A sells a lot more. To sell more of Model B, adjust it's color temp setting for a blue-white light, and all model A's to a yellow-white light. Model B will look a lot better beside the Model A's, even though it's true color representation may be way off (the color of trees, foliage, etc.).

The best way to determine the proper setting for your model is to select the "cool" setting and watch it for a few days, then select the "normal" setting and watch it for a few days, and then finally the "warm" setting. Choose the one in which you thought the overall colors looked more natural to you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...