Another iMac Convert

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zacarias
    • Jan 2005

I too am a recent Mac convert! I got my MacBook Pro last month!

I have a windows desktop that I've been using for years, and now I hardly ever use it! I find myself hitting the alt key on windows (CMD key) when I should be hitting CTRL!

Anyways I seen someone suggest Yummy FTP.. Might I suggest Cyberduck? I've been using it and I have no issues with it.
    And for e-mail I use mozilla's Thunderbird.. I'm just a Mozilla fan.

I don't know where the negative reputation of the Mac being inferior to the PC came from.. It's simply untrue and the opposite. Mac's run windows faster on some applications than a PC does.

Well anyway, good to see another person come to the dark side... or the light side, whichever you prefer.
    Once you go mac....

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

So far the major issue I have with the Mac is that Finder is not nearly as good or intuitive as Windows Explorer. I just need a simple file manager that works with the traditional directory hierarchy. Is there a better substitute for Finder?
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        So far the major issue I have with the Mac is that Finder is not nearly as good or intuitive as Windows Explorer. I just need a simple file manager that works with the traditional directory hierarchy. Is there a better substitute for Finder?
        When I exclusively used Macs, Finder was the most annoying part of the OS that I found as well. It is one of the reasons why I switched to Windows 95 and haven't looked back.

I haven't used OSX but back before Norton was bought out by Symantec, they used to sell a Finder Replacement. Have never checked to see if Symantec still sells it or not.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Chroder
          • Dec 2002

I hate Finder, as well. I use an app called PathFinder. Very customizable, very powerful. Here's how I set it up.

Comment

• pank
            • Mar 2001

Hi Steve.
            I'm not sure if this is what you mean but you can change finders appearance by clicking the 4 buttons on the top left (right next to the back and forward arrows). Sorry if you knew that already but I know it takes a while to experiment around with all the nifty settings and views.
            Attached Files
            Bob- (pank)
            pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

I think Steve means in Windows you can just enter a path and you go there, Finder kind of hides this, you have to find it in the menu or know the key combo; Chroder's right, PathFinder is a great replacement for Finder. However, for everyday things I just set up smart folders or symlinks in the left or top menu.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                When I exclusively used Macs, Finder was the most annoying part of the OS that I found as well. It is one of the reasons why I switched to Windows 95 and haven't looked back.

I haven't used OSX but back before Norton was bought out by Symantec, they used to sell a Finder Replacement. Have never checked to see if Symantec still sells it or not.
                I agree, Finder has always been very bad, and everybody was hoping 10.5 would change this, but they've only tweaked it a bit and added coverflow. It's still a lame thing. Nevertheless I use it daily and don't have much complaints about it right now, but if i need to work with paths i am using the terminal mostly anyway.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

I'm trying out PathFinder. It's an improvement but it's still not equal to Windows Explorer.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

If you could be specific for what functionality you're looking for, perhaps we can see if (path) Finder has this or if there's another program that perhaps can do it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

As close to Windows Explorer as possible with the ability to travel through directory hierarchies effortlessly.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• goyo
                        • Dec 2002

Just curiuus - why do you feel the need to call it a 'toy'. I've never understood the need for people on both sides to denigrate people who use something else that actually works better for them.

I'm not threatened at all by the fact that you prefer Windows. Why do you feel the need to insult me and my choice?
                        Sorry I had no intentions to hurt your feelings (or your choice) at all.

English is not my first not even second language...
                        If I see something shiny new high-tech (like the new Laser diode based TV, BMW/Jaguar model from the next year or even a next-gen. multi functional touch screen GPS or other gadgets) I call it a toy. It doesn't mean it's not suited for "serious" work it just means apart from its functions it's desirable (because of it's design, associated lifestyle or "feeling" as it's usually more than just another average product on the shelf) the same way as a new toy for a kid.
                        Last edited by goyo; Wed 9 Jan '08, 5:46pm.

Comment

• kerplunk
                          • Aug 2002

Congrats on the new iMac. I use a MacBook Pro + Cinema Display as my desktop. It is great. I'm sure you will find it to be the best.

Here are a few applications I use. Some have been mentioned before:

Firefox (web browser)
                          Adium (MSN and AIM)
                          Mail (Email)
                          TextMate (For text editing)
                          Transmit (FTP)
                          Terminal (SSH)
                          X-Chat Aqua (IRC)
                          Chicken of the VNC (VNC)
                          Disco (CD/DVD Burning)
                          Quinn (Tetris)
                          Renamer4Mac (Renames <insert large number here> files easily)
                          StuffIt Expander (WinZip of Mac OS X)
                          Transmission (BitTorrent client)

Other:

Flip4Mac (Playing WMV on Mac)
                          Perian (A bunch of codecs for Quicktime)

For word processing:
                          Until Office 2008 is released, I have been using a combination of:

Pages, NeoOffice, and Microsoft Word 2004

Enjoy!

Comment

• Onimua
                            • Apr 2005

I have Flip4Mac on my Mac too; I forgot to mention it, but it does come in handy.
                            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...