X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Computer Chat Another iMac Convert

After waiting almost 20 years for Microsoft to come up with a solid version of Windows, I finally gave up. I've spent far too much time and hard work making up for the deficiencies in Windows operating systems.

So I took the plunge and purchased a 24" iMac for roughly the same price I had bought my Dell PC last summer. And the Dell did not include a montor.

Not only are the stats on the iMac far superior to the Dell, but the system is almost flawless, except for a few quirks that probably have more to do with my Windows habits than anything else.

If you haven't seen one in person, I strongly suggest you take a look. When I walked into the Apple store I was floored by the look of the iMac and the absolutely beautiful display. Since getting it home I have been trying to make it crash by doing many of the things that cause problems in Windows, such as opening and editing graphics files. Whereas Winddows XP and Vista almost always requires a reboot after several hours of that kind of activty, I can't make the iMac crash or even slow down. After about a week it's as fast as the day I set it up, wwhereas Windows gets slower and slower each day until I am forced to reboot (which is about every 3 days on average.) I won't be going back to a Windows PC any time soon.

If you are a Mac user, please let me know any hints and recommendaded software. I have specific needs for easy-to-use SSH and SFTP applications and while I can do those through the terminal, I'd prefer to have an application for them.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

• Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

You've been spending too much time with Floris, Steve
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• HenryG2
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.8.x

My favorite ftp program is Yummy FTP. http://www.yummysoftware.com/

I also use a program called Coda which I find makes things very easy for quick editting and uploading, and has some very nice reference manuals included for javascript/(x)html/php/css. You can also use Coda for SSH access. http://www.panic.com/coda/

Comment

• Chazel
        • Nov 2007

I have a 20-inch iMac, and I love it.

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Steve: I love you!

Awesome news, and I am glad you made the switch.

Transmit and YummyFTP are both great FTP clients, and support sftp too.
          As for an editor I strongly recommend TextMate, I use it daily, constantly, for everything.

And for other software I invite you to view my profile on iusethis web site: http://osx.iusethis.com/user/floris

For anything else, any question just ask in a privmsg - moving from Windows to the Mac is an easier step for some then for others, but we're a great community of passionate fanboys (and you will soon find out why hehe) who love to help eachother.

For IRC (since another staff meeting is closing in) I use xchat-aqua. It comes closest to mirc and it's better then trillian's chat function.

oh about SSH, sorry, I use Terminal for this, I have no special need for anything else that secure ftp and ssh can't do.

Comment

• Onimua
            • Apr 2005

Nice Steve.

I agree; my first Mac has been my MacBook Pro (I still have my desktop), but I've stopped using my desktop almost entirely (except for testing browser compatibility and such). In fact, after Macworld this month, I'm replacing my desktop with a new iMac (or might get a Mac Pro, it depends), and only run Windows through Boot Camp or VMware.

Originally posted by HenryG2
            My favorite ftp program is Yummy FTP. http://www.yummysoftware.com/

I also use a program called Coda which I find makes things very easy for quick editting and uploading, and has some very nice reference manuals included for javascript/(x)html/php/css. You can also use Coda for SSH access. http://www.panic.com/coda/
            I use Yummy FTP as well; it's a nice program indeed.

Originally posted by Floris
            Steve: I love you!

Awesome news, and I am glad you made the switch.

Transmit and YummyFTP are both great FTP clients, and support sftp too.
            As for an editor I strongly recommend TextMate, I use it daily, constantly, for everything.

And for other software I invite you to view my profile on iusethis web site: http://osx.iusethis.com/user/floris

For anything else, any question just ask in a privmsg - moving from Windows to the Mac is an easier step for some then for others, but we're a great community of passionate fanboys (and you will soon find out why hehe) who love to help eachother.

For IRC (since another staff meeting is closing in) I use xchat-aqua. It comes closest to mirc and it's better then trillian's chat function.

oh about SSH, sorry, I use Terminal for this, I have no special need for anything else that secure ftp and ssh can't do.
            TextMate is also a very nice text editor. I also use Xchat-aqua as well.

EDIT:

Another software recommended for AIM, MSN, and just general IM purposes I would highly recommend is Adium.
            Last edited by Onimua; Thu 3 Jan '08, 11:29am.
            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• sensimilla
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.8.x

Im a mac G4 and macbook user and also IBM PC and laptop user.
              You cant avoid Winblows in my opinion, MAC is good and well designed but some things just run better on Winblows.
              StylWolny.pl - Polskie Forum Dyskusyjne | guziki wieszaki producent - Bonetti.pl
              Join Tattoo Group Now

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

I hope you like your computer. Good Luck.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

You can run Windows in bootcamp or directly in osx using vmware.
                  It's hassle-free to install vmware fusion on the mac, and it's hassle free to install xp and vista on it. It's also very sweet to run both (osx/windows) at the same time so you don't have to constantly reboot.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

So VMWare allows you to switch from OS X to Windows without rebooting?
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

Yes, I use: VMWare Fusion, and also Parallels.

You start vmware/parallels like any other program
                      then you select: start XP

And XP loads in a window. It's an emulator, but trust me, it will run smoother then most of your current systems

Steve:

https://www.vBulletin-Setup.com/runn...indows_box.mov (7MB Quicktime Movie)

Here ya go, a live demo.

Good thing: Windows breaks, surely .. so when you get a BSOD, .. you just press 'restart windows' and without restarting your mac, it will restart windows.

Of course, this time I showed it in a small window .. but.. you can also go dual monitor, and full screen. Or .. with leopard now. put windows in a space.

For example., I have 2 monitors, 4 spaces total, vmware runs on 1 space constantly. I dedicate 1gb ram to it and doesn't slow down my machine at all. Sometimes it has to catch up from cached memory, but that's just a second.

And another one quickly, showing off the coherence mode using vista, using spaces and using the resize of the window feature:

Last edited by Floris; Thu 3 Jan '08, 1:47pm. Reason: (merged)

Comment

• Radon3k
                        • Nov 2001

I too have a 24" iMac and I love it. You'll hopefully find the switch to be easy with little to no problems. I second Floris' recommendations for TextMate and Transmit for editor and FTP, respectively. Enjoy!

Comment

• TylerK10
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 3.8.x

I just got my MacBook a few days ago. There's no doubt that I'll never go near Windows again.

I agree with everything you said, Steve. And I'm going to try TextMate and Transmit myself. Right now I have Cyberduck for my FTP, but only because it was the first one I found for Mac.

I can't wait to get my Apple iForum running on vBulletin. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Comment

• Onimua
                            • Apr 2005

A couple of other nice applications also are AppZapper and Xslimmer.
                            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• pank
                              • Mar 2001

Welcome to the club
                              I'm really debating the iMac. I have a PPC dual 2 ghz now and this is my year to upgrade. I've been waiting for the new Mac Pro's to come out but the iMacs look real yummy.

For FTP I prefer transmit and really good free text editor is textwrangler

It's the free (somewhat stripped down) version of BBedit. BBedit is really good but I'd say give textwrangler a good run through to see if is has all you need. The great thing I love is the file compare utility. Copy and old template and a new template into separate windows, click one button and it finds every change between the files Great for digging up changes between files!

Also a great little utility is Quicksilver

Spotlight is really nice but for quick launching app's not much is faster.

If you have done done so yet I'd also suggest getting an external HD for backups. I've found the best way for backing up is to make a daily bootable clone using software like carbon copy cloner or (my favorite although not fully leopard ready) super duper. That way if by chance your iMac's HD does ever go down you have a full cloned backup. From then it's just a matter of getting your new HD up and running then using your clone to migrate back all your software and user settings.

On a side note: Do you have any issues with the Glossy screen on the new iMac either color value wise or glare wise?
                              Last edited by pank; Thu 3 Jan '08, 4:52pm.
                              Bob- (pank)
                              pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...