X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJDarknez
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.7.x

banned users

Man, now I know, as a regular user, how it feels to be banned.

I registered on a photo website back in November right before I went on a river cruise in Europe. I figured I'm a bit of a photo nut, so I'd probably have some decent ones to share.

I make a few posts last night (a vB-based board, no less ) and I wake up this morning and

BAM

Banned for spamming? WTH? I didn't spam anyone???

Anyone else get banned on a site for something that you know wasn't true? It's interesting, as admins of our own sites, what we see and put up with on sites that we're regular members of.
  • _Sam_
    • Jun 2007
    • 3.6.x

What did you post on their forums?

Comment

• DJDarknez
      • Mar 2005
      • 3.7.x

Nothing even closely related to spam. Every post I made had to do with photography.

Comment

• Chazel
        • Nov 2007

Eh, I've been banned on a board or two. I got banned on one for requesting a logo from someone and not paying. Short story short, they made something that I could make 10 times better in five minutes. It was pretty pathetic; I was a moderator, too.

Comment

• xjuliox
          • Sep 2005
          • 3.7.x

Did you have your website address in your signature on their forum? If you did then that's your answer.
          Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

• DJDarknez
            • Mar 2005
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by xjuliox
            Did you have your website address in your signature on their forum? If you did then that's your answer.
            I did. So did 300 other people.

edit:

Also, they don't seem to have a rules thread saying I can't. I just double checked.

But we're getting OT here...I'm not trying to complain about it here...curious what other people's experiences are.

Comment

• Anthony89
              • Nov 2006
              • 3.8.x

I've never been banned or gotten an infraction at any forum. I'm a good boy.

Comment

• Creepshow
                • May 2005
                • 3.5.x

Bottom line, if someone gets banned from a board - it's usually with good reason.
                "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• HDT
                  • Sep 2006
                  • 3.6.x

What i to do when come to other people "house" i always read rules and their guidelines.Spend 10 minutes for read it worthed for your membership account

Comment

• Onimua
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Creepshow
                    Bottom line, if someone gets banned from a board - it's usually with good reason.
                    Not in all cases.

... and no, I haven't personally been banned from anywhere.
                    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• xjuliox
                      • Sep 2005
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by DJDarknez
                      I did. So did 300 other people.

edit:

Also, they don't seem to have a rules thread saying I can't. I just double checked.

But we're getting OT here...I'm not trying to complain about it here...curious what other people's experiences are.
                      They probably thought since you made a few post in a probably short period of time you were trying to advertise your website.
                      Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

• MidnightPyro
                        • Dec 2001
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Creepshow
                        I wouldn't say this is so either. Remember there's a lot of forums out there and a lot of admins. Though most admins are generally pretty reasonable about thinks, any can ban any member for whatever reason they want to. Sometimes, it's hard to distinguish between real members, spam bots, and just plain trolls.

If you think you're ever banned somewhere unfairly, my advice would be to simply email the admin and explain the situation or ask why you were banned. Sometimes it can just be a simple mistake too

Comment

• DJDarknez
                          • Mar 2005
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by xjuliox
                          They probably thought since you made a few post in a probably short period of time you were trying to advertise your website.
                          35 posts since 15 November isn't exactly a short time. Not to mention that it's a photography forum where your ENCOURAGED to post up.

Originally posted by MidnightPyro
                          I wouldn't say this is so either. Remember there's a lot of forums out there and a lot of admins. Though most admins are generally pretty reasonable about thinks, any can ban any member for whatever reason they want to. Sometimes, it's hard to distinguish between real members, spam bots, and just plain trolls.

If you think you're ever banned somewhere unfairly, my advice would be to simply email the admin and explain the situation or ask why you were banned. Sometimes it can just be a simple mistake too
                          I did do that. Twice, actually. Once through the Contact Us link and again as a plain email to webmaster@. I hope to hear back soon

I was just shocked, I tells ya!
                          Last edited by DJDarknez; Thu 27 Dec '07, 7:50am. Reason: spelling

Comment

• tommykjensen
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DJDarknez
                            Man, now I know, as a regular user, how it feels to be banned.

I registered on a photo website back in November right before I went on a river cruise in Europe. I figured I'm a bit of a photo nut, so I'd probably have some decent ones to share.

I make a few posts last night (a vB-based board, no less ) and I wake up this morning and

BAM

Banned for spamming? WTH? I didn't spam anyone???

Anyone else get banned on a site for something that you know wasn't true? It's interesting, as admins of our own sites, what we see and put up with on sites that we're regular members of.

Hopefully it wasn't on the site where I am moderator I can say that there has to be a really good reason before we ban members. A clear case of one or multiple spam post immediately after registration results in a ban. If we are in doubt and an established member posts something that look like spam then we delete the post and contact the member before banning.

As for getting banned. Nope I have never been banned on other sites. Except on my own vb test site to test what it looks like.
                            Best Regards Tommy

Comment

• DJDarknez
                              • Mar 2005
                              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by tommykjensen
                              Hopefully it wasn't on the site where I am moderator I can say that there has to be a really good reason before we ban members. A clear case of one or multiple spam post immediately after registration results in a ban. If we are in doubt and an established member posts something that look like spam then we delete the post and contact the member before banning.

As for getting banned. Nope I have never been banned on other sites. Except on my own vb test site to test what it looks like.
                              Probably wasn't the site you're on then I never received a pm, infraction, anything. But expect a PM from me just in case

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...