X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razasharp
    • Feb 2005
    • 3.7.x

Drupal/Acquia receives $7 million series A financing

For a while now I have been tempted to pay it more attention, but open source 'support' has always put me off.

What do other vB users familiar with Drupal think about this announcement?
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?
  • simsim
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.6.x

Fantastic news!

I've downloaded Drupal about a year and half ago but wasn't impressed enough with it at the time, although it was obvious that it's well-written and it does have a future. Few weeks ago, I spent a good amount of time checking various drupal sites and was really impressed.

I guess I'm gonna give it another shot.

Thanks for the heads-up, Raza.
    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Razasharp
      • Feb 2005
      • 3.7.x

There are some very big sites that use Drupal Simsim - if you are willing to put time into it and know some PHP, it can be VERY powerful. Check out popsugar.com - it is about 96% Drupal with some custom tweaks and/of modules.

Most of popsugar could now be done in 3.7 - with the obvious missing of threads in groups, and who's hot/not and maybe a few other small bits.

If I listened to my head Drupal would be the ideal platform for my next site - but I love vB so much and have spent two years getting to know it, and I just don't want to learn a new system now

vB could easily be a thorn in Drupals side (as it can undoubtdedly be in vB's side, esp with this new investment) - a few minor additions would be a massive help: custom thread fields (can use vb Projects code?) better RSS feeds (just make sure categories subscriptions include it's forums) and perhaps a CCK (content construction kit) of sorts (to create a database) for starters.

My next site 'could' be a flagship site for vB if only I had a few more things from my wish list (and some from above).

Drupal could steam ahead next year - $7,000,000 is a LOT of money!

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
        • Sep 2001

I'm with you Raza -- I have an idea for a site with a lot of potential but its hard finding the right software with the features needed to drive it.

vbulletin and drupal are excellent but both would need some major add-ons. Drupal seems to have a larger add-on community but I'll be honest here - I am more familiar and comfortable with vbulletin and would like to stick with it. Especially since vb is driving my other sites.

A content construction kit and multiple thread fields would be an EXCELLENT start.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• TruthElixirX
          • Sep 2004
          • 3.6.x

Use both!

Read the articles found on this site to become well rounded on matters that pertain to SEO. Click on the link to explore the site.

Comment

• Razasharp
            • Feb 2005
            • 3.7.x

Add your support here ROS http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253817

TruthE - vbdrupal is a fork of Drupal... I personally won't use forks. Drupaltin is not a fork. Ideally vB would be set-up with flexibility in mind... little things like custom page naming in vb Projects for example (can see some nice uses of it, but project.php in the url is a no no)..

Comment

• Andy Huang
              • Feb 2004

Good news; maybe they can finally start looking forward and start to revise their connector so it doesn't need to lock affected table, check records, insert record to create unique id, and then unlock the table for each table that requires unique id's...
              Best Regards,
              Andy Huang

Comment

• SSSlippy
                • Jan 2006

The vbdrupal project is just a guy who added some forum intergration features into a nice well done plugin. Its just like a module for drupal, almost.

Comment

• TruthElixirX
                  • Sep 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Razasharp
                  Add your support here ROS http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253817

TruthE - vbdrupal is a fork of Drupal... I personally won't use forks. Drupaltin is not a fork. Ideally vB would be set-up with flexibility in mind... little things like custom page naming in vb Projects for example (can see some nice uses of it, but project.php in the url is a no no)..
                  Hadn't heard of this. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Comment

• HenrikHansen
                    • Jul 2004
                    • 3.8.x

Drupal has just won the Pack Publishing price as the best open source cms
                    Search over 7,500 Programming & Development eBooks and videos to advance your IT skills, including Web Development, Application Development and Networking

And indeed, Drupal is really powerful.
                    I have downloaded and installed the www.vbdrupal.org package, and I am really impressed.
                    Europanet.dk

Comment

• Razasharp
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by TruthElixirX
                      Hadn't heard of this. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
                      Drupaltin are looking for more coders to get on board TruthElixirX... as far as I remember you are a great coder... why not get involvled? The project has bags of potential

Comment

• Dean C
                        • Mar 2002
                        • 3.5.x

Very interesting indeed. I wonder what the VC's saw that would make them think they'd get a decent return out of the investment

And to those above, vBulletin is not a content management system - it's a forum. I'd rather they focus on the community aspects of it, than try and make it flexible enough to be a jack of all trades
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• TruthElixirX
                          • Sep 2004
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Razasharp
                          Drupaltin are looking for more coders to get on board TruthElixirX... as far as I remember you are a great coder... why not get involvled? The project has bags of potential
                          I think you're confused. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/membe...bversion#hacks
                          and this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=144966

One crappy spoiler tag from when I was a n00b wanting a designer custom title and a tutorial for someone else's script. I am not a coder. Though I've tried... many many many times.

Comment

• simsim
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 3.6.x

I was thinking you're a veteran coder too.

Your username & avatar are soooo geeky.
                            You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• TruthElixirX
                              • Sep 2004
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by simsim
                              I was thinking you're a veteran coder too.

Your username & avatar are soooo geeky.
                              I'm a veteran geek. Just not a coder.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...