X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ipuck
    • Jun 2006
    • 3.8.x

Multiple users with same IP

I was going to ban a user (multiple registration) by banning his IP address, it turns out that more than 100 users have already register with the same IP.

Can some one please explain please, I thought the IP where unique for each user.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

No, this is common. Many ISPs user dynamic IPs that are reused.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
      • Feb 2003

Do a lookup on the IP. You will probably find that it resolves to a domain owned by a dial-up ISP like AOL.

Comment

• Offthepace
        • Apr 2007
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        No, this is common. Many ISPs user dynamic IPs that are reused.
        If that's the case, how can I determine who's who? Also what constitutes a legit view or is there no such thing? Advertising on yahoo or google paying by the number of "clicks", (traffic to your site) counts as a view correct? So based on what you saying there's no way to tell if those clicks are legit either.

Then there's the views I would create just by posting or checking out what was said, then if anyone goes back to edit that's a view also, not sure on the latter. My question at this point would be, why even bother paying attention to "views", when everyone out there has you over a barrow.

Plus dealing with the multiples puts another crimp in the works.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

There is no way I no of to determine who is 'legit' or not. What is the exact problem you arer having that you want to fix?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Offthepace
            • Apr 2007
            • 3.6.x

There is no way I no of to determine who is 'legit' or not. What is the exact problem you arer having that you want to fix?
            Do I have to have a problem with vBulletin to post on "Chit Chat"? If so, hold on and I see if I can find one. Might take awhile.

Comment

• PossumX
              • Oct 2006
              • 4.1.x

I think this sounds an awful lot like AOL woes. Their IP address can (and does) change between page navigation. It is unreal.

AOL = Demonseed of the ISP world.

Comment

• Offthepace
                • Apr 2007
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by PossumX
                I think this sounds an awful lot like AOL woes. Their IP address can (and does) change between page navigation. It is unreal.

AOL = Demonseed of the ISP world.
                Thanks PossumX, I was just being inquisitive about IP addresses and views.

Comment

• Offthepace
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Hey Macho man, just let you know my couriosity about veiws is sadisfied.

It's a little unsettling knowing I have all those spiders crawling around in my computer, snatching up what ever they want including vBulletin. What the heck, I realized a long time ago I didn't have a "personal computer", public would be a better description.

It's amazing how much information that's available here, give me a year or so to read it all, of course I'll have to learn a new language to understand it all. Come to think of it, reminds me of why I don't repair my cars and trucks anymore.

Just chit chating Macho man. Have a good day and thanks for you help, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have explored this site like I should have to begin with.

Comment

• DoE
                    • Sep 2007

Legitmate spiders can be "told" which directories not to crawl into. See google or yahoo on how to do this.

Multiple users from one IP is not uncommon, many businesses and schools use one IP address for multiple users.

If you get 100 users from one IP in a short period of time, then it isn't from a business/organization/school, but rather a bot. Again, google and yahoo, and other legitimate crawlers, will tell you how to limit what directories/files for their bots to stay away from.

Comment

• Offthepace
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by DoE
                      Legitmate spiders can be "told" which directories not to crawl into. See google or yahoo on how to do this.

Multiple users from one IP is not uncommon, many businesses and schools use one IP address for multiple users.

If you get 100 users from one IP in a short period of time, then it isn't from a business/organization/school, but rather a bot. Again, google and yahoo, and other legitimate crawlers, will tell you how to limit what directories/files for their bots to stay away from.
                      Thanks DoE, but if it requires writing scrip and so on, I'll be at a loss. It's all mumble jumble to me.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Its a file called robots.txt and it includes a series of allow and disallow statements followed by folder names and bot names. If you do a search here you should be able to find some examples for use with vBulletin. Do a search on your favorite web engine and you'll find a lot of information on them.

One other thing.. A lot of accesses from a single IP might be a site ripper application as well. These load lots of pages in the background and download your site to a separate computer either for offline viewing or other catalog purposes.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Offthepace
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 3.6.x

Thanks Wayne. After I learn some more about vbulletin I'll concider doing that, now that I'm paying more attention to my site.

At first it was confusing to me on how to find answers to my questions. Now I'm using the search feature, I see it's all here, well at least what I'd be looking for. Was able to solve an Avatar problem doing just that. When something comes up that's to technical for me, I'll have to hire someone to fix it.

Oh yes, I'm running vBulletin 3.6.4 but I couldn't find it anywhere. Can you explain what the .4 is all about?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

In versions we have Major version releases, Minor Version releases, and Bugfix Releases and Patch Levels.

3.6.4 = Major.Minor.Bugfix.

3.0.0 was a major release.
                            3.6.0 is considered a minor release with new features building on what came before.
                            3.6.4 is a bugfix release that fixes bugs that occured in the version before.

Patch Levels are a new concept and were introduced in 3.6.6. This allows us to fix a security issue without administrators having to perform a full upgrade. The latest stable version (3.6.8 PL2) is an example of a Patch Level release.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Offthepace
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              In versions we have Major version releases, Minor Version releases, and Bugfix Releases and Patch Levels.

3.6.4 = Major.Minor.Bugfix.

3.0.0 was a major release.
                              3.6.0 is considered a minor release with new features building on what came before.
                              3.6.4 is a bugfix release that fixes bugs that occured in the version before.

Patch Levels are a new concept and were introduced in 3.6.6. This allows us to fix a security issue without administrators having to perform a full upgrade. The latest stable version (3.6.8 PL2) is an example of a Patch Level release.
                              Thanks, so actually I'm running 3.0.0 with upgrades to 3.6.4. I take it you think I should download the patch and upgrade to 3.6.6?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...