Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

BF2 Wireless Lag problem solved

Anybody here who plays Battlefield 2 on a Wireless Router, who's been having problems with lag. I've found a solution to cure it. Well it has for me anyway!

I was searching all over Google and have seen that loads of people have the same problems when playing BF2 on a wireless connection, anyway I found this site and followed what they say do. And now my lag has gone completly playing on my wireless router, we before it was bad.

Page 1 of 3 - Wireless Network Ping Spikes - posted in Networking: Fellow Geeks,I am getting huge ping spikes on my wireless network. I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless Router, and two computers running Windows XP (one runs SP1, the other SP2).While playing an online game, I would be temporarily disconnected from the server quite frequently. Out of curiosity, I started my stopwatch in between spikes. The ping spikes occur at exactly 1 minute intervals! Reply from 192.168.2.1:...

Is is the quote on what to do:

Since this problem occurs in set intervals, I'm going to hazzard a guess and say that it is the [COLOR=#1b3b7c! important][COLOR=#1b3b7c! important]Wireless[/color][/color] Zero Configuration service that is casuing the problem (searching for alternate networks every few minutes), resulting in lag spikes.

So, what I'm going to suggest is that you allow WZC to establish a connection to your network, and then actually disable it -- this will let us know if it's WZC causing the issue.

Once you have established a connection, goto Start --> Run --> type services.msc and press OK --> Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration (it'll be at the bottom), right-click and select Properties --> Click Stop -- wait for the service to stop, and then click OK. Now, try that ping again; do you still recieve lag spikes? Also, just try to play your game.. Do you still experience the lag spikes in game?
    Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 29 Nov '07, 12:05pm.
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Anyway, I'm off to kill a few Germans now, being British and all that
    Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 29 Nov '07, 12:05pm.

Comment

• Dean C
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.x

I'll have to give you a game some time. Teach you old folk a lesson or two about sniping
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

Not much you can teach me in BF2, been playing it on and off for two years. Anyway I'm a "Jet" expert. Only way to play it! Once I get in a jet I lead the leaderboard for kills!!

Comment

• Lenni
          • Aug 2004
          • 3.6.x

I heard about the Jet Whores in BF2. And I have seen Youtube Videos where 10+ people are waiting at the Jets spawn point to get it. It looks retarded. Though I had fun playing BF2 in Single Player. And you are going to hate me, but I am a BF2142 player.
          selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• ManagerJosh
            • Jun 2002

I was going to blame the lag issues on bandwith limitations between your computer and your access point. Weak signal
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Dean C
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.x

I don't even bother playing on maps with vehicles. Waste of time.
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• xjuliox
                • Sep 2005
                • 3.7.x

Hey count me in

My favorite map is Karkand.
                Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by rin
                  I heard about the Jet Whores in BF2. And I have seen Youtube Videos where 10+ people are waiting at the Jets spawn point to get it. It looks retarded. Though I had fun playing BF2 in Single Player. And you are going to hate me, but I am a BF2142 player.
                  I think I've seen that jet video. I know what you mean when you say jet whores, but when you learn to fly them proper with ease like I can, seriously, if you want the kills and to look good. It's the only way to play it. The only downside is you always try to avoid playing the side of the US and instead choose the Japs, they have the best jets.

No, I used to play that before BF2, BF2 is the same game really, but with better graphics. I bought the latest one though (unless you mean you play that), that stupid futuristic version of BF. What a load of rubbish that is - I give it away it sucked that bad. To some person for his little lad.

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  I was going to blame the lag issues on bandwith limitations between your computer and your access point. Weak signal
                  Na, Im on a 10gig connection here. Plus the game played fine when not using the wireless router. And the router is an exspensive Belkin one with the largest range. So that shouldn't be an issue, so I always knew it had something to do with either the game or the ISP. That I posted above has solved it now. I get no lag at all.

Originally posted by Dean C
                  I don't even bother playing on maps with vehicles. Waste of time.
                  You would most likely beat me on foot in ground warfare. Not that good really. I tend to use the sniper riffle, or use the anti-tank weapon. But I'm not really that half bad though.

Good job were not playing UT 2002 Edition though, I would kck ass in that.
                  Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 30 Nov '07, 5:43am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MRGTB
                    Na, Im on a 10gig connection here. Plus the game played fine when not using the wireless router. And the router is an exspensive Belkin one with the largest range. So that shouldn't be an issue, so I always knew it had something to do with either the game or the ISP. That I posted above has solved it now. I get no lag at all.
                    Always had problems with Belkin products myself. I don't buy them. However unless it is MIMO based, you can receive interference from cell phones, 2.4 Ghz cordless phones, the microwave, wireless speakers, etc...
                    All depends on what channels you are using, what your building is constructed off (concrete and brick tend to reflect radio signals in this range) and other factors.

I had the worst lag when I moved into a new house last spring. The upstairs computer often had problems connecting. Was going to install an ethernet cable to the upstairs and then go wireless from there. However we installed a second computer with the same brand of card and now both computers get top notch connections. The two wireless cards are bouncing the signal between them and it creates a stronger connection. Still going to install an ethernet cable but it wait until I switch to Wireless-N.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
                      • May 2005

It is a MIMO Belkin Router, the one thats black and comes with 3 arials. Well, doing what I said in the first thread has totally fixed the lag issue in BF2 for me, which was always there before. It's seems the Zero Configuration Utility always scans which causes the lag. Having followed the guide above to disable it.

Thats fixed my lag issues. But I do have the option I've just noticed to switch between using that or the software that comes with the router, however I still had lag swiching over that way - and still needed to use the run command to disable ZCU completly that way

Comment

• Lenni
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 3.6.x

No, I used to play that before BF2, BF2 is the same game really, but with better graphics. I bought the latest one though (unless you mean you play that), that stupid futuristic version of BF. What a load of rubbish that is - I give it away it sucked that bad. To some person for his little lad.
                        HaHa Well yeah! I play that futuristic Battlefield. I thought it was crap in the beginning. But just because I was killed instantly all the time. I got used to it and am now the caretaker of my 2.2 K/D ratio. Too bad you gave it away, we could have played a round or two.
                        selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                          • Feb 2003

Anyway, I'm off to kill a few Germans now, being British and all that
                          Germans? Are you playing the Point of Existence modification?

By the way, I suggest that you play the Project Reality modification. It is how Battlefield 2 should be made.

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

Na, the Germans was just a pun.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...