X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BamaStangGuy
    Banned
    • Mar 2004
    • 3.6.x

So it's a 4:3 tv? Didn't notice that (Circuit City is closed for upgrades right now so I can't check.)

I'd never spend 455 dollars on a 4:3 TV. I'd just live with what I have right now and save up for a better one if that was my only choice.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Went out browsing for TV's again, none of the sales reps even looked twice at me. Sure I'm in a hoodie and jeans, but thats no reason to ignore me.

Only saw a few tvs that I liked, one of the issues that I noticed on HDTV's be it LCD/PLASMA was the lag in console to screen. Not a huge issue all the time, but me and my friends all play guitar hero, it makes the game mostly unplayable to any resonable level.

I saw a few models of the samsung had a game mode and that sharp makes a gamer tv, but none of the reps were intrested in talking to me so :/

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Doesn't the US have black friday or something soon? 37 and 42" hdtv's are around $500

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Yes, looked at most of the sales ads for the major retailers, none of the TV brands I wanted in the pricerange I want.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Floris
            Doesn't the US have black friday or something soon? 37 and 42" hdtv's are around $500
            The day after Thanksgiving. What you save on your purchases you can spend on your medical bills as people knockdown and trample you.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Zachery
              Yes, looked at most of the sales ads for the major retailers, none of the TV brands I wanted in the pricerange I want.

I have been hearing a lot of good things about Vizio. Its a new startup for LCD and plasma televisions. They have good prices and the ones that I have seen are good quality. They can be found at Costco, Sam's Club, Wal-mart and Circuit City. They have a 32" 16:9 monitor that is only a bit more than the television you looked at. Could probably find it cheaper on sell or at a club store.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
                Banned
                • Mar 2004
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                I have been hearing a lot of good things about Vizio. Its a new startup for LCD and plasma televisions. They have good prices and the ones that I have seen are good quality. They can be found at Costco, Sam's Club, Wal-mart and Circuit City. They have a 32" 16:9 monitor that is only a bit more than the television you looked at. Could probably find it cheaper on sell or at a club store.
                Vizio is also an American company and when I get ready to buy my big TV for the living room it'll be a Vizio.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by BamaStangGuy
                  Vizio is also an American company and when I get ready to buy my big TV for the living room it'll be a Vizio.
                  Thanks for adding that. I meant to mention it as well. I am looking very hard at Vizio myself and haven't found fault yet.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Radon3k
                    • Nov 2001

I just bought a refurbished 20" Vizio from eBay and I'm very happy with it. The quality is outstanding both in terms of the set itself and the picture quality. I don't have it hooked up to HD just yet but even for analog it's very good. The next TV I purchase for a living room type setting will be a Vizio.

Comment

• Dean C
                      • Mar 2002
                      • 3.5.x

Were you looking at second-hand bargain basement LCDs? What response times did they have? I've yet to see an LCD tv in a store that is as bad as you describe :/ My TV isn't even top of the range in regards to response-time and I can play all my games with absolutely no problem at all (including GH)
                      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                        Were you looking at second-hand bargain basement LCDs? What response times did they have? I've yet to see an LCD tv in a store that is as bad as you describe :/ My TV isn't even top of the range in regards to response-time and I can play all my games with absolutely no problem at all (including GH)
                        Same as Dean and we bought ours right from a local store.

We have not gotten an HD single hooked up to it yet mainly because we'd have to spend a lot of money on a new dish and hardware but we do plan on doing that at some point. We've been with Directv for over a decade so I can probably get the entire upgrade for free, just haven't wanted to play the game with the sales reps yet.

I have been playing video games on it though and they all look just fine. Yes we've even jammed to guitar hero on it...right now...just a lot of Zelda..

Personally I scale the 4:3 picture to 16:9, sometimes I have to fiddle with that setting for video games (just pressing one button on the remote) but for TV is does a great job on the "automatic" setting.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Games like Guitar Hero and Rockbad are the largest ones with the issue, even my friends samsung had the issue (but we couldn't find the controler to hit game mode to see if its fixed).

Also I've bumped my budget up to 1,000 US. But still going to wait abit longer.

Comment

• TruthElixirX
                            • Sep 2004
                            • 3.6.x

Especially when analog signals are cut off in 2009.
                            Digital doesn't mean HD, I heard. They cold still broadcast 480i digitally.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TruthElixirX
                              Digital doesn't mean HD, I heard. They cold still broadcast 480i digitally.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
                              They could but all major networks are already switching to HD sources.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Sunray2
                                • Oct 2007
                                • 4.0.x

Beware of the DLP. If you are gaming and an avid viewer, you will be replacing your lamp in about a year and a half. (get the warranty) I have a 60" Mitsubishi and had to replace the lamp within 14 months. To add insult to injury (paying 229.00 US for the lamp and 42.15 US for the delivery) the repair guy tells me to beaware that the little blinking green light that told me to replace my lamp could be faulty. The blasted light is run by an engine that is connected to something similiar to a mother board.

Vizio is the answer. Get it from Sams Club. They have the higher res lines than the other stores.
                                "From a tiny seed, a mighty tree will grow; I am the earth, the air and the water that sustains it."

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...