X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WurkAnimal
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.5.x

The reason why I hate Fireworks

So me and a few friends were in a small village car park up in the Yorkshire dales last night. Me and a friend were riding our bikes and the other friend were in his car with his girlfriend.

My bike broke down, the bike was acting like it was in neutral all the time, so I phoned up the brake down company, told them to come ect. We saw a landrover drive past the car park half a dozen times with a gang of chavs in it.

...Whilst waiting for a phone call we got fireworks thrown at us, rockets, bombers you name it - they were banging right above our heads - nearly got us a handfull of times.

We called 999 and anything up to 60 minutes for the police to come, 15 minutes later they were here. () we then explained everything to the Police and said they will look out for the landrover.

45 minutes later, the truck come to bring me and my bike home.

What a night.
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

There's nothing wrong with fireworks, it's the idiots who use them. I despise them, as every Tom, Dick and Harry has their own little mini-firework display in the back gardens at this time of the year. The noise from these fireworks at such close proximity makes me jump, so imagine what it does to my cats...

I honestly believe that the public should be banned from buying them, and they should only be available at public displays.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Dean C
      There's nothing wrong with fireworks, it's the idiots who use them. I despise them, as every Tom, Dick and Harry has their own little mini-firework display in the back gardens at this time of the year. The noise from these fireworks at such close proximity makes me jump, so imagine what it does to my cats...

I honestly believe that the public should be banned from buying them, and they should only be available at public displays.
      We don't permit fireworks on any day except when the person has a permit.
      The only day we allow everybody to display fireworks is on 31st. That day or perhaps a day before (not sure) you're allowed to buy it.

Originally posted by NashTax
      So me and a few friends were in a small village car park up in the Yorkshire dales last night. Me and a friend were riding our bikes and the other friend were in his car with his girlfriend.

My bike broke down, the bike was acting like it was in neutral all the time, so I phoned up the brake down company, told them to come ect. We saw a landrover drive past the car park half a dozen times with a gang of chavs in it.

...Whilst waiting for a phone call we got fireworks thrown at us, rockets, bombers you name it - they were banging right above our heads - nearly got us a handfull of times.

We called 999 and anything up to 60 minutes for the police to come, 15 minutes later they were here. () we then explained everything to the Police and said they will look out for the landrover.

45 minutes later, the truck come to bring me and my bike home.

What a night.

You should watch that horrible mid-life crisis movie with Travolta, this same thing happens to them, kinda. They're just cruizin' - getting hassled, trying to get away alive. And also had their short adventure.

Comment

• MrNase
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
        We don't permit fireworks on any day except when the person has a permit.
        The only day we allow everybody to display fireworks is on 31st. That day or perhaps a day before (not sure) you're allowed to buy it.
        It's the same here in Germany.
        That's the end of that!

Comment

• Dean C
          • Mar 2002
          • 3.5.x

How much do these permits cost out of curiosity ?

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.8.x

You should watch that horrible mid-life crisis movie with Travolta, this same thing happens to them, kinda. They're just cruizin' - getting hassled, trying to get away alive. And also had their short adventure.
            I loved that movie.. I have the DVD around here somewhere..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Dean C
              How much do these permits cost out of curiosity ?
              I don't know. I don't care for fireworks.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.5.x

Same here, waste of money imo

Comment

• Dean C
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 3.5.x

I'm not asking because I have an interest in going to NL and buying your fireworks. I'm asking how much it is to see whether it's enough to put off your average person buying a permit to celebrate their birthday or something along those lines (I would hope so)!

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                    • May 2003
                    • 3.6.x

When I was a kid living on the base, the kids would all go down to the baseball field with their explosives (in those days, they were grenades; bazookas; their dad's .45s). Those who dads kept their weapons secured, came to the field with cherry bombs.

My brother like building military models and taking cherry bombs and using them to destroy them. Until one day they came in the living room carrying another buddy who's kneecap was blown off (at 4 years-old seeing a trail of blood and a mangled leg wasn't nice, either).

Now I don't have a problem with kids firing fireworks, as long as they do so under adult supervision. If they get carried away, it's time to call the cops. Otherwise, fireworks are fun. Beats the alternative: making them yourself (in the days before 9/11 it seemed to be a past-time for boys).
                    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                    ~~~
                    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Fireworks are illegal in many cities throughout Southern California. They are in mine but the city just south of us voted to keep them legal so there are a lot of people who purchase them around the Fourth of July. Many people also smuggle them in from Mexico and Arizona throughout the year. This year, the city instituted a new ordinance that allows them to fine you if you are simply watching someone set off fireworks, you don't have to own them or set them off yourself. I believe the fine is $600 per person and $1000 if you own them. Having a fireworks charge on your record can also have your home fire insurance denied at renewal in some cases.

We simply watch the fireworks several times a year at the Minor League baseball stadium half a mile from our house or the fairgrounds which is about a mile and a half away. We have a perfect view from the upstairs windows and just keep the dog inside for the duration.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• c0bra
                        • Apr 2001

I hate fireworks because they absolutely terrify animals. The idiots around our way let the things off for pretty much the whole of November. So every night now I have my two dogs running around the house looking for places they can hide under. They love digging their way through a mountain of shoes under the stairs were all my internet cables are hiding. Another popular choice is behind the Plasma screen... they've nearly knocked that over a few times already.

It's not fun watching your animals shake with fear for hours every night. It gets to the point now where it gets dark and they're already shaking about what's coming for them.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                          • Sep 2001

As a kid, I used to love watching the fireworks in the neighborhood. It felt like a real celebration. They really cracked down on fireworks in nyc and the 4th of July is now rather listless and lathargic. Its a shame really.

Fireworks are very dangerous and I agree that kids shouldn't be lightening them off. It should be the parents using them responsibly.
                          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

Jeez, cheer up guys. It's bonfire night BANG!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                              As a kid, I used to love watching the fireworks in the neighborhood. It felt like a real celebration. They really cracked down on fireworks in nyc and the 4th of July is now rather listless and lathargic. Its a shame really.

Fireworks are very dangerous and I agree that kids shouldn't be lightening them off. It should be the parents using them responsibly.
                              Visit Jacksonville, Flordia . I was there on the 4th this year and the locals put on about a two-hour show in the neighborhood. At a few points I thought they were going to set the woods on fire.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...