• Show
Clear All
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

Ordering to the UK from Dell US

Hello,

The monitor I'm looking at in the US is $469 (£227):
    Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

In the UK it costs £495 (although I can get it for £300 via a reseller):
    Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Nevertheless, a saving of over 70 pounds is a lot of money and I'm wondering whether it'd be possible to order it via a friend in the US and then ship it to me (I'm assuming it'd cost about 20-30 pounds to ship), and then transfer the warranty to me in the EU? Is this even possible.

It is quite frustrating how consumers in the EU are being charged so much more!
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer
  • Kier
    Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
    • Sep 2000

You'd get stung on shipping, import duty and VAT when it reached this country. Unfortunately you'll still be better off buying it from the UK.

Comment

• Dean C
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.x

What if it was labelled as a gift?

Comment

• Kier
        Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
        • Sep 2000

You'll still get hit with taxes.

Comment

• Reece^B
          • Jan 2006
          • 3.6.x

Stupid government will tax you on anything and everything!

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.8.x

I have the same monitor, its really nice.
            I had a 20" originally, but ordered the 24" one week after i received my new system..

I use the 20" as my secondary now..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Dean C
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.x

Have you had any ghosting issues on it yet Joe? The reason I stopped looking at the 2407wfp-hc was because of the unfixable ghosting issues it has with light objects on dark backgrounds, but according to Dell it's a consequence of some of the features they used on the S-PVA panel. However, what's holding me back on getting the E248WFP is that the colours aren't as rich on TN panels. I have no doubt it'll be good for gaming and movies, TN panels normally are, but have you had any problems with the colours thus far?
              Last edited by Dean C; Mon 29 Oct '07, 5:45am.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.8.x

No issues yet.
                I am not really into heavy graphics editing, or gaming much though..
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Dream
                  • Mar 2001
                  • 3.6.x

I envy you very much, I'm just now getting my 19", that's what I get for being in a developing country, 100% tax on electronics to protect a non-existent local industry.

I wouldn't know what to do with a 24" wide though, all websites would stretch.
                  Last edited by Dream; Mon 29 Oct '07, 6:11am.
                  Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 1.1.x

£419.00 for the same product in the U.K.

I am heading to the U.K. as a stop over within two years and will be taking a few things with me on the flight to give to family members. At least you have better internet speed then most in North America.

Comment

• Dean C
                      • Mar 2002
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego

I am heading to the U.K. as a stop over within two years and will be taking a few things with me on the flight to give to family members. At least you have better internet speed then most in North America.
                      A recent survey found the majority of customers don't get the quoted speeds from their ISPs in our country. I'd rather get what I paid for, than have my routing shaped during peak hours, and download limits placed upon me

Comment

• Cromulent
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Dean C
                        A recent survey found the majority of customers don't get the quoted speeds from their ISPs in our country. I'd rather get what I paid for, than have my routing shaped during peak hours, and download limits placed upon me
                        Use BT then. I get pretty much bang on 8mbps and have never noticed any route shaping or download limits. I've had months were I have downloaded over 100GBs of stuff.

Comment

• Dean C
                          • Mar 2002
                          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Cromulent
                          Use BT then. I get pretty much bang on 8mbps and have never noticed any route shaping or download limits. I've had months were I have downloaded over 100GBs of stuff.
                          I am 100% sure BT have a monthly limit, and I know users who have passed it and been warned not to do it again or they will be charged for it. Maybe you're one of the lucky few.

Comment

• Cromulent
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Dean C
                            I am 100% sure BT have a monthly limit, and I know users who have passed it and been warned not to do it again or they will be charged for it. Maybe you're one of the lucky few.
                            They do on their lower price plans. If you are on the unlimited plan however it is advertised as unlimited. Now how much their actual fair use policy states is another matter. But as I said I have download 100GBs or so in a month before and not heard anything from them.

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego

The UK has **** speed. In the Netherlands we call the UK's internet 'fake broadband'.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...