X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Balthasorus
    I didnt mean PHP When i said PHP Sucked i meant PHPBB

And Vb Costs alot though Invision Is $150.00 And includes Professional Installation
    Josh,

Thanks for coming by, but I do wish you'd present all the facts and not just partial facts.

For example, you probably can't afford IPB's Standard License. I draw upon this conclusion simply because I noticed your signature links to a board hosted over at Invisionzone, which is a hosted forum solution offered by IPS.

Next, while yes Invision Power Board is at $150.00, it is also 6 months of support and download access. vBulletin offers 12 (TWELVE) months of download access. So to make an accurate comparison, you need to add one 6 month renewal cycle of $25.00 to the above costs, which brings the total to $175.00

Note IPS only offers 6 months support and download access to IPSBeyond (codehackers resource like vBulletin.org) at $150.00 (12 months support at 175.00). vBulletin is lifetime support and download access vBulletin.org for only $160.00.

When it comes down to it, the costs you pay are far greater than what it first appears.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Balthasorus
      • Oct 2007
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
      Josh,

For example, you probably can't afford IPB's Standard License.
      You arent gonna tell me what i can afford and what i cant...

Comment

• ---MAD---
        • Jun 2005
        • 3.8.x

You arent gonna tell me what i can afford and what i cant...
        No need to start a fight but if you are using a free solution then you cannot afford it or/and not willing to spend the money on paid software, that is where he got it from.
        Last edited by ---MAD---; Mon 22 Oct '07, 6:11am.

Comment

• albn
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.6.x

I own both IPB and vB and vB in my opinion is a lot better.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Why thank you.. Its just i dont think i can afford Professional Installation and the License
            You probably don't need to purchase the installation. Look at our online documentation and you can probably install it yourself with no trouble.

One thing you are overlooking with our prices though... We choose to charge those people who want installation instead of figuring it into our prices. Most people don't purchase installation and do fine. We also don't charge you for standard support after 6 months. In fact we never charge you for standard support for the life of your license. Finally, vBulletin started being sold in April 2000. It was $160.00 at that time. It is $160.00 now. Invision started in 2003 and it was free.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Balthasorus
              • Oct 2007
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ---MAD---
              No need to start a fight but if you are using a free solution then you cannot afford it or/and not willing to spend the money on paid software, that is where he got it from.

Im not useing a "Free Solution" Im paying $20 a month... Im just useing the Server provided by IPB

Comment

• Comtech
                Banned
                • Nov 2004
                • 3.6.x

As a former owner of 1 "leased" and 4 "owned" vbulletin licenses, I chose IPB.

When 3.7 or 4.0 comes out, I may change my mind and return to buy several more licenses.

Comment

• Comtech
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ---MAD---
                  Agreed 100%.

I own an Invision License and it is being hosted at MediaTemple on one of their (DV3) Rage servers. I could spend the money and buy a new vBulletin license, but for now I really see no reason for such purchase when the Invision software is just as good. The Invision mod community pails in comparison though.

Comment

• Balthasorus
                    • Oct 2007
                    • 3.8.x

Yea, I might consider buying a license later on but for now the current "Server" Service is the same its just you cant edit raw php code.

Comment

• Acrobat
                      • Sep 2006
                      • 3.5.x

I bought an IPB license a couple of years ago to toy around with. I was curious as to what all the hub-bub was about.

I quickly found out that IPB was a colossal waste of time and money. Looks like crap. Runs like crap. No support (if you call what they have "support" I have some nice beachfront property in Siberia you might like to own).

vB rocks, IPB bites the banana.

Comment

• pank
                        • Mar 2001

I run both IPB and vB and create skins for both...
                        Everything with vB is much simpler and much more thought out in my opinion.

Also look back at old posts regarding new features for both IPB and vB. From what I have always seen vB is the originator and others seem to follow in their direction when it comes to features with the core forum software.

Does IPB have the lead with add on products? Yes.
                        Would I have rather waited for a vB add on product such as their Blog? Yes...

The reason is once again in "my" opinion their Blog is coded much better and simply works much better. While trying to have my skins work with IPB's Blog and Gallery it is a TON of extra work. Many new graphics needed to be created and many template changes were needed.

When vB released their Blog guess what? I didn't have to do a thing. My skins just worked perfectly with their Blog release. They use the existing CSS and coded their Blog to integrate extremely well with their existing template and CSS files. What a pleasure....
                        Bob- (pank)
                        pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

• Mazinger
                          • Jul 2005
                          • 3.7.x

Glad to hear your opinion, pank.
                          $post[signature]

Comment

• Tetractys
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 3.6.x

To me, there's not much comparison despite the similar price... VB is better on just about every level comparing oranges to oranges. Vbulletin is so much more user friendly than IPB and the support from VB far surpasses that of IPB, especially.

Also, from a design standpoint, there's so much more you can do with customising a vBulletin forum than you can an IPB forum (Granted, from the looks of it most choose not to take advantage of that, but... ). I'm also not biased towards VB... as I'm currently running several forums on IPB, as well. From my experiences, however, VBulletin is better, overall.

Comment

• Comtech
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 3.6.x

I've pretty much decided to ditch IPB for several reasons that I can't get any help with, including but not limited to the slow load times even on the default theme.

vBulletin had always loaded fast, even on a busy night when the server load was fairly high - vBulletin would load faster than IPB on a non busy server.

Comment

• Omri.L
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 3.5.x

I don't see any major reason to chose IPB over vB.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...