• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---MAD---
    • Jun 2005
    • 3.8.x

Norton & Vista

Hey,

I bought a new laptop yesterday with great specs and windows vista premium. I am wanting to install norton on it (I am not sure if windows defender is enough - any idea?). The norton copy I have (2007) is not vista compatiable and I can't seem to find any where on the norton site I can find a patch to be able to install norton on vista.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    MAD
  • Asvin
    • Jul 2007

Hmmm... I don't think installing Norton is good... Try installing something else.. I am pretty sure if Norton is not vista compatible, then you can't work it the other way around using patches and stuff...

Comment

• slappy
      • Apr 2003

From the Symantic site:

Compatibility UpdatesProducts purchased under our service plans, such as Norton Antivirus 2006 and Norton Antivirus 2007, are eligible for Microsoft® Windows Vista™ compatibility updates. Users must have a valid subscription to be eligible for the Windows Vista compatible update.

Has the downloads available:

Norton 2007 Vista Compatibility Updates
      Norton seems to have most of their ready for Vista now. The exception is Norton SystemWorks which does not have an update available. Get the latest product updates for Vista compatibility here:

Norton AntiVirus 2007
      NV14RT.exe (39.2mb)

Symantic Corporate Anti-Virus is a better product and much less bloat. It has a seperate version for Vista, which is version 10.2.0.276.

Regards,
      Slappy

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.8.x

Norton AntiVirus 2008 is only $69.99, if you insist on using Norton's for Vista..

I would use Windows Live OneCare..

If you do go with Nortons, just use the regular version, not Internet Security versions.
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Vile
          • Jul 2002
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ---MAD---
          Hey,

I bought a new laptop yesterday with great specs and windows vista premium. I am wanting to install norton on it (I am not sure if windows defender is enough - any idea?). The norton copy I have (2007) is not vista compatiable and I can't seem to find any where on the norton site I can find a patch to be able to install norton on vista.

Any ideas?

Thanks
          MAD
          Symantec does indeed have it on their site. When you follow the steps on the site, you will be able to download an installer file for NAV 2007 and during the process you can just use your current serial number.

If you still need help, I have the setup file somewhere on my computer and can upload it if necessary.
          Webmaster / Administrator
          www.MegaGames.com
          www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Bob Isaac
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
            I would use Windows Live OneCare..
            Not heard of this before. I have found that since upgrading both NIS and NSW to the current versions my laptop and desktop have really slowed down.

Bob

Comment

• ---MAD---
              • Jun 2005
              • 3.8.x

Thanks a lot guys, got it working now .

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

All new HPs and Dell computers come with Norton on it these days. At least a 60 day trial. It was the first thing I uninstalled though. I was using Windows One Care but its unknown intrusion heuristic let me down and one of my kids computers got infected with a keylogger. Now I have Grisoft's AVG Internet Security suite installed on all 5 computers.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Bob Isaac
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Which to get is a bit of a dilemma. I have had computers since Windows 3.0 and have been lucky, or just got the right protection. But Norton now really slows both my machines down so much.

They all make similar claims but reviews of all the available products are not very helpfull. Maybe bin Windows and use Linux is the only real answer.

Bob

Comment

• TheComputerGuy
                    • Apr 2001

use Spy Sweeper with Anti-virus. Setup daily scans, and sweep for rootkits.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Ok norton annoyed me on vista because it said I was not the administrator and wouldn't let me change certain things.

Any other good anti viruses?

Comment

• Alex McLean
                        • Jul 2007
                        • 4.2.x

Dont get Norton. Get Avast.

Comment

• Vile
                          • Jul 2002
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ---MAD---
                          Ok norton annoyed me on vista because it said I was not the administrator and wouldn't let me change certain things.

Any other good anti viruses?
                          Are you logged in as Admin or a user with limited account?

Norton in general is an annoying program btw.

Avast and AVG are decent, and are certainly better than nothing (since both are free) but I highly recommend getting NOD32.

I'm using NOD32 on one system, and Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition on another, and both work great. (Both are also compatible with Vista)
                          Last edited by Vile; Thu 20 Sep '07, 11:05am.
                          Webmaster / Administrator
                          www.MegaGames.com
                          www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Fusion
                            • Aug 2001
                            • 3.8.x

Vista's administrator group isn't a full administrator, like on XP.
                            When doing certain operations it requires you to do one of three things:
                            Either right-click each time and choose 'Run as Administrator' or
                            access the properties of the task/program you access, and set this as a default or
                            turn off the UAC protection, leaving your machine potentially vulnerable.

Or, a fourth, un-official option, use an UAC-tweak (free) to silence these prompts for users in the Administrators group, while leaving them on for regular users. When silenced, an Administrator user works just like in previous versions of Windows.
                            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• sharp65
                              • Jul 2006

I'm using symantec antivirus corporate and have no problems with it. Runs in the background and I hardly notice it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...