X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Adsense Trick "I wondered about this"

Here is one to think about?

The other day we was talking about laptops, and how you can drive down the road and connect to loads of unsecure network conections. Anyway, then I thought - hold on. If I did that and then went to my site and clicked the adsense with a different IP each time.

Would adsense be able to detect that the same PC is clicking the links.

Now maybe it gets the PC Mac addess information, or PC Name etc instead. But I just wondered about that one. I mean it would cost you more in petrol than you would make. But I was curious about it though.
  • Joe Gronlund
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.8.x

MAC addresses are stripped off at the router and or last hop, using ARP on external networks.
    The only way to obtain a MAC address of network interface using IPv4, is to have it on your own subnet, even then one interface can have multiple MAC addresses..
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

So your saying Google doesn't do it that way then. Maybe it looks for PC Name.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.8.x

Not by MAC address, or PC_Name...
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Andy Huang
          • Feb 2004

Google can and will ding you for that.
          They track not only by IP address, but also by cookie info, session data, and several other internal stuff. Unfortunately, they never disclose the details... to combat things like this of course. But then innocent people like me gets dinged for no good reason >_> (*is still bitter about losing his adsense acct about 4 or so yrs back*)
          Best Regards,
          Andy Huang

Comment

• Bema Jinn
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Andy Huang
            Google can and will ding you for that.
            They track not only by IP address, but also by cookie info, session data, and several other internal stuff. Unfortunately, they never disclose the details... to combat things like this of course. But then innocent people like me gets dinged for no good reason >_> (*is still bitter about losing his adsense acct about 4 or so yrs back*)
            You and me both

Comment

• Chousho
              • Jan 2004
              • 3.8.x

You can change your MAC addy, anyway, so that's not too much to be worried about. You can also clear your cookies per browser session.

I think the real thing would be that it wouldn't be right for you to try to drive up your own ad rankings in a dishonest way.

Comment

• MRGTB
                • May 2005

Can I just make this 100% clear. I'm not talking about "ME" doing this "as I said before, it would cost you more money in petrol driving around to do it, than you would earn from clicks".

I was just curious if it was possible, thats all! It was just something me and my mate talked about regarding laptops and unsercured networks. So I decided to post it here for the clever folks to mull over and see what they thought.

Comment

• TheExpatDirector
                  • Sep 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Just a thought

Wouldn't driving and usin a laptop at the same time be a little tricky, escecailly if you were trying to click at the same time... Just a thought
                  TED
                  The Expat Directory
                  Free Business Webs

Comment

• Asvin
                    • Jul 2007

AdSense sucks dudezz... Don't use it.. When they see that you are making a good amount of money, then they say some stupid excuses and terminate your account.. I would go with adbrite even if it paid less.. !

Comment

• steven s
                      • Jul 2004
                      • 3.8.x

My guess is if adsense sees a sudden spike, that will send up a red flag.
                      ...steven
                      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• MRGTB
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Asvin
                        AdSense sucks dudezz... Don't use it.. When they see that you are making a good amount of money, then they say some stupid excuses and terminate your account.. I would go with adbrite even if it paid less.. !
                        Well I have read that myself a few times. Where people have complained that they where banned from Google once there site started making good money from adsense.

But I guess there just stories and you really don't know the truth as to why they were really banned. I've read stories here were people claim they were banned for nothing they did. But I can't see why Adsense would ban you without a genuine reason for something your doing, when there also making money out of you.

Honestly, don't buy into everything people say on the net. It's the biggest BS place there is.
                        Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 10 Sep '07, 4:14pm.

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

I think it is sad that people are using means to get more clicks other then through their true traffic. I rather waste time and resources on the content of the site, so there is more traffic and return traffic to the site, which will increase revenue in the long run. Rather then cheat the system once in a while and still have .. not so good content. It benefits nobody.

Comment

• rnmcd
                            • Aug 2004
                            • 3.5.x

I wonder if adsense and adbrite will cancel my account if my users share the same 5 IP addresses?

We all work for the same large company and we all use one of 5 IP addresses.

Comment

• MRGTB
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by rnmcd
                              I wonder if adsense and adbrite will cancel my account if my users share the same 5 IP addresses?

We all work for the same large company and we all use one of 5 IP addresses.
                              Yes they will, if your on a router and a friend on the same router connection clicks your ads. Expect to be banned!

Google's best advice in situations like this where multiple people share the same connection via a router hub. Is to ban your own router IP address, so they cannot access your site to click the adsense ads "to avoid possible fraud" clicks from other users visiting your site and clicking ads who share the same connection. Of course you would also be banning yourself though as well.
                              Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 12 Feb '08, 3:35am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...