Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Yet another Blog

I've noticed that "Princeton" who is an admin at vB.org, is advertising this in his signature: http://mygtblog.com/

Would I be right in saying this is he's own Blog for sale called GTBlog.
  • Itworx4me
    • Jun 2002
    • 3.6.x

looks interesting

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

I absolutely LOVE it! THAT has almost everything that we've been requesting on the vBlog request thread - including the ability to choose from premade skins that are separate from forum skins OR design your own.

Very nice...
      Peggy
      ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
        • Feb 2005
        • 1.1.x

I think MRGTB was referring to rules of this forum for promoting products.

Links in Sigs
        • Links in signatures must follow these guidelines:
        • Linking to a commercial product/service is fine, provided it is not a product or service that competes with a product or service offered by Jelsoft and it is not an affiliate program link for vBulletin or any other affiliate program.
        • Promotional text for a commercial product or service is ok, provided there are no price(s) of product(s) or service(s) listed.
        • A link and promotional text for a site that is not commercial and does not contain product(s) and/or service(s) is allowed, provided the site is not sexual or does not violate vBulletin community standards. The vBulletin team shall be the sole arbitrator of what does and what does not violate community standards. (Examples include sites about drugs and/or sex.)
        • Duplicate links to the same URL in a signature are not allowed.

That maybe so, but it is quite a high price for a blog. I have to view it in more detail to make any judgement.

Comment

• Razasharp
          • Feb 2005
          • 3.7.x

It looks neat, but is encoded. I don't use/recommend encoded scripts.
          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Lizard King
            Banned
            • Mar 2004
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart
            I absolutely LOVE it! THAT has almost everything that we've been requesting on the vBlog request thread - including the ability to choose from premade skins that are separate from forum skins OR design your own.

Very nice...
            But the price tag is insane... I don't think anyone will pay that much money for a blog system. He originally asks more then vBulletin regular price which is really funny

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego
              I think MRGTB was referring to rules of this forum for promoting products.

Links in Sigs
              • Links in signatures must follow these guidelines:
              • Linking to a commercial product/service is fine, provided it is not a product or service that competes with a product or service offered by Jelsoft and it is not an affiliate program link for vBulletin or any other affiliate program.
              • Promotional text for a commercial product or service is ok, provided there are no price(s) of product(s) or service(s) listed.
              • A link and promotional text for a site that is not commercial and does not contain product(s) and/or service(s) is allowed, provided the site is not sexual or does not violate vBulletin community standards. The vBulletin team shall be the sole arbitrator of what does and what does not violate community standards. (Examples include sites about drugs and/or sex.)
              • Duplicate links to the same URL in a signature are not allowed.
              That maybe so, but it is quite a high price for a blog. I have to view it in more detail to make any judgement.
              No, I didn't mean that actually!

But seeing as you've brought that up, I will say what did cross my mind. I was a bit surprised to see this advertised in his signature mainly because he's staff at vB.org. Not just staff, but an Administrator. I know he may have started his own Blog well before vBulletin started working on there's. But I did wonder if it was not a slight conflict of interests, due to his position over there. And the fact he knows vBulletin are selling a Blog now as well. But that's just something that crossed my mind, but I guess if he started working on it before vBulletin did on theirs, he's every right really!

I do agree also it's very expensive, and I didn't spot it was encoded as well. Supose that why Ioncube is needed, Duh!!
              Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 24 Jul '07, 12:51am.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.8.x

$145.00? Did i read that right?

Why are they forcing you to pay for the installation fee???
                Might indicate some nice features, but i don't see any on that page...
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

Maybe because it requires Ioncube installed.

What's interesting though about the Ioncube thing is this, The best option to install Ioncube is by adding it to your php.ini file, but then this means your going to have to ask your server host to do it for you if it's not installed already, and there's no guarantee they will, especially if your on a shared hosting plan. Plus some server host don't like you running encrypted scripts.

The only other way is to run Ioncube is from your forum directory like what vBSEO say you can do - but I've also read, doing it this way causes big server overheads. I've read a few articles were hosts have removed it when installed like this, leaving you with a product you can't use!

Don't forget also, he's asking for a yearly support plan as well, on top of that price for buying it. If I'm right from what I read there. The price does seem very steep to me, I really hope this is not going to be an indication of how much this Blog here is going to cost! If it is, I won't be buying it...

To me the Blog is just an extension to the forum, nothing more than a (plug-in), much the same way as the Tools just released is. So it doesn't warrant such a high price, maybe YES if it was a stand alone product that didn't require the forum to run it!
                  Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 24 Jul '07, 5:39am.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by MRGTB
                    Maybe because it requires Ioncube installed.

What's interesting though about the Ioncube thing is this, The best option to install Ioncube is by adding it to your php.ini file, but then this means your going to have to ask your server host to do it for you if it's not installed already, and there's no guarantee they will, especially if your on a shared hosting plan. Plus some server host don't like you running encrypted scripts.

The only other way is to run Ioncube is from your forum directory like what vBSEO say you can do - but I've also read, doing it this way causes big server overheads. I've read a few articles were hosts have removed it when installed like this, leaving you with a product you can't use!

Don't forget also, he's asking for a yearly support plan as well, on top of that price for buying it. If I'm right from what I read there. The price does seem very steep to me, I really hope this is not going to be an indication of how much this Blog here is going to cost! If it is, I won't be buying it...

To me the Blog is just an extension to the forum, nothing more than a (plug-in), much the same way as the Tools just released is. So it doesn't warrant such a high price, maybe YES if it was a stand alone product that didn't require the forum to run it!
                    Have you looked at the features though? It appears far more than just a blog. Looks like a gallery, and social networking too.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MRGTB

I do agree also it's very expensive, and I didn't spot it was encoded as well. Supose that why Ioncube is needed, Duh!!
                      I believe Ioncube is used to combat software piracy, thought it may be due to the encoding as well, i am not 100% sure...
                      I like the friends and about me features, the rest i am not to keen on..

And i am not much for galleries myself...
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• MRGTB
                        • May 2005

I did see the Gallery, but I was a unsure where it was pulling the image from.

Well in that case, it sounds like the type of Blog you've all been asking for. A Blog with a gallery and social networking intergrated.

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                        I believe Ioncube is used to combat software piracy, thought it may be due to the encoding as well, i am not 100% sure...
                        I like the friends and about me features, the rest i am not to keen on..

And i am not much for galleries myself...
                        Your right - it is used to encode PHP code etc, to stop people from looking at the scripts and stealing the code. But becuase its encoded, Iocube is needed at the other end to be able to read the encoding, otherwise the encrypted scripts would not work on the server
                        Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 24 Jul '07, 7:34am.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Wow o Wow! That looks very cool but very pricey . I dislike how the website is set out though, its a mess :s.

Comment

• 0ptima
                            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                            $145.00? Did i read that right?
                            Have you tested out the demo? Its really impressive!!!

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                              • Feb 2005
                              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by 0ptima
                              Have you tested out the demo? Its really impressive!!!
                              It is just a bunch of addons and the only thing that is impressive, is his talent in creating such a product. To bad he did not have it as a stand alone option.

I did not see a page in how many queries it produces or if serverload is an issue for small sites.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...