Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Asvin
    • Jul 2007

could i start a vbulletin support site?

could i start a vbulletin support site that provides all the free stuff you give away? i really like vbulletin, that is why. i would be happy to link back to vbulletin.com. Is there any way?
  • Cyber Smoke
    • Aug 2004
    • 4.2.X

Hello. I think it sorta depends on the final words of the authors of the plugins and their willingness to have it posted somewhere else besides this or vBulletin.org websites.

In other words, if the plugin author says it can be distributed freely, then it's ok to post and if he requires an agreement on that, you'd better contact the author.

And regarding the support part, I'd be very cautious about it, since if you're providing support, people never expect you to "break" things (or provide the answers which might be incorrect or lead the customers the wrong way).
    Last edited by Cyber Smoke; Mon 16 Jul '07, 2:08pm.
    The specifics of custom design

Comment

• dkon26
      • Jul 2007
      • 3.7.x

Plus you should make sure you dont use the VB trademark on your site. I would wait for someone from this staff to answer this before you do anything.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.8.x

free stuff they give away?
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
          • Feb 2005
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by bboarddotcom
          Plus you should make sure you dont use the VB trademark on your site. I would wait for someone from this staff to answer this before you do anything.
          'Trade Mark', that would be all images and logos.. so that means I am infringing on vBulletins copyrights & trademarks for using a working script on the net. oh no! what should I do if I get caught.

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
          free stuff they give away?
          Yah! that tend to be suspect when you ask in that sorta way, but it could be really free scripts with prior authors permission.

Comment

• dkon26
            • Jul 2007
            • 3.7.x

Actually its Trademark and it does not just apply to images and logos. It can be any of the following:

1. Name
            2. Symbol
            3. Images
            4. Word(s)

Etc...

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by bboarddotcom
              Actually its Trademark and it does not just apply to images and logos. It can be any of the following:

1. Name
              2. Symbol
              3. Images
              4. Word(s)

Etc...
              a logo is an image. and image is in your list

Anyway, contact sales and present them your site outline, domain name and plan on what you want to do. We will review it and give you an official response. Something we can't do over the forum.

The stuff we 'give away for free' on this web site and vBulletin.org are free for licensed customers. And certainly not meant for distribution. On your unofficial support site you can not know who's licensed or not, nor will you have permission to redistribute the 'free' content we provide here.

Comment

• dkon26
                • Jul 2007
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris

Anyway, contact sales and present them your site outline, domain name and plan on what you want to do. We will review it and give you an official response. Something we can't do over the forum.

The stuff we 'give away for free' on this web site and vBulletin.org are free for licensed customers. And certainly not meant for distribution. On your unofficial support site you can not know who's licensed or not, nor will you have permission to redistribute the 'free' content we provide here.
                I only repeated it from the other post.. I knew someone would call me on it.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                  • Jul 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris

mabye that should be a new product the dev team can create.. So any forums that either distribute "legally" of any graphics or small time plugins, can verify the user is licenced. I remember back awhile ago, vbtemplates used to have a mod like this so only licenced users could sign up and post.

A addon like this would also benefit anyone, who is either giving out a free/paid plugin/addon, so only licenced users are getting them.

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Asvin
                    could i start a vbulletin support site that provides all the free stuff you give away? i really like vbulletin, that is why. i would be happy to link back to vbulletin.com. Is there any way?

There are quite a few established and successful vB support sites out there now. It seems that new ones are popping up every other day, and are having a hard time succeeding.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just want you to be aware of the roadblocks.
                    Peggy
                    ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• Asvin
                      • Jul 2007

thanks for the replies guys. i guess the answer is NO. well...

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 1.1.x

You can start any unofficial support board, it is just you need to give more specific details.
                        You might not be able to use vBulletin in your domain name, but still have a board that gives support in your own language or just in english.

Just post your inquiries here in link below or post a detail description on what is your intentions and staff will reply with proper answer. Do not bother what other members like myself say, it is upto Jelsoft/Staff and they know alot more.

Not putting anyone down, it's just Staff knows more on this matter.

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Absolutely!
                          Peggy
                          ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• Asvin
                            • Jul 2007

thanks for the help guys..appreciate it

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
                              mabye that should be a new product the dev team can create.. So any forums that either distribute "legally" of any graphics or small time plugins, can verify the user is licenced. I remember back awhile ago, vbtemplates used to have a mod like this so only licenced users could sign up and post.
                              I strongly doubt there will ever be something like this as we value the privacy of our customers and will not be giving out any details about them (and that would unclude licensed/unlicensed) to third parties.
                              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...