• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by tickedon
    The Data Protection Act in the UK addresses this, and as a UK company, Jelsoft are bound by it. Doesn't matter that they are now owned by a US company, they are registered in the UK, have offices in the UK, etc... and so are still bound by it

The parent company does now have access to the information we have provided Jelsoft. HOWEVER, any such access and use of the information has to be done within the Data Protection Act. This includes that they can't suddenly move the data to the US at IB where it lacks the protection it would have - the EU and USA have specifically dealt with this issue and have in place a program to deal with this, 'Safe Harbour', which basically puts stringent requirements on US companies handling data originating from an EU country, and essentially brings it up close to the level's found in the EU countries (http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/).

All this FUD is not helping. Rather than spreading what is quite frankly rubbish and clutching at straws, go read the relelvant legislation and regulations and then when you are informed, you'll realise that this doomsday "Help they have my data and are going to abuse it" scenario is highly unlikely.
    They own Jelsoft. They can open a Jelsoft office in the States.

All information that Jelsoft has, is within the reach of the parent company. If the UK legislation does in fact offer barriers - then it is easier to move Jelsoft 100% to the states (which may eventually happen.)

Comment

• Comtech
      Banned
      • Nov 2004
      • 3.6.x

With that said, I do hope the Parent company takes a long hard look at vBulletin and notices that it does lack a professional default theme. The buttons are poorly designed, the profile system is 1990's, while the major competitor has upgraded theirs and makes me wonder if Jelsoft has been sleeping on the job.

vBulletin has fallen behind in many areas. Maybe this new buyout, the new company will hire people on who have a true vision for the future of vBulletin. I will wait and see.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for vBulletin and the developers - but they have offered little to no visual improvements since vBulletin 3. I'd like to see a new, more professionally themed default style, a better profile system (not the one some have already seen. that was not an improvement)
      Think IPB's profile system and go from there.

Blogs and so forth should be left alone to 3rd party developers - unless Jelsoft hires on new employees to handle the extra work. The vBulletin forum should be the #1 concern.
      Last edited by Comtech; Thu 5 Jul '07, 11:53am.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by tickedon

All this FUD is not helping. Rather than spreading what is quite frankly rubbish and clutching at straws, go read the relelvant legislation and regulations and then when you are informed, you'll realise that this doomsday "Help they have my data and are going to abuse it" scenario is highly unlikely.
        What FUD? There are legitimate concerns which have not been addressed to the satisfaction of this audience.

Since you seem to have a better understanding of this legislature, perhaps you can point out the parts that cover the specific concerns raised since I can't seem to find it. If not, I am asking Jelsoft to provide clarification.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Martin
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.5.x

I tend to stay out of discussions like this, but I cannot help but make a comment here.

I've been around here since vBulletin was just an idea on ezBoard after a certain unnamed company didn't deliver what they promised. The philosophy we started with, and continue to uphold to this day, is a huge reason for the great success we have experienced over the years.
          The combination of great software, superior support and the rapport we have developed over the years with our customers, not to mention the great community at vB.org, are likely the chief reasons that Internet Brands chose to make an offer in the first place. They are a successful company run by smart people. I can't see them doing anything to change what we have already established. To do so would likely be business suicide for them, at least in regards to Jelsoft, and as I said before, they aren't stupid people.
          Webmaster:
          @forumz

Comment

• Comtech
            Banned
            • Nov 2004
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Martin
            I tend to stay out of discussions like this, but I cannot help but make a comment here.

I've been around here since vBulletin was just an idea on ezBoard after a certain unnamed company didn't deliver what they promised. The philosophy we started with, and continue to uphold to this day, is a huge reason for the great success we have experienced over the years.
            The combination of great software, superior support and the rapport we have developed over the years with our customers, not to mention the great community at vB.org, are likely the chief reasons that Internet Brands chose to make an offer in the first place. They are a successful company run by smart people. I can't see them doing anything to change what we have already established. To do so would likely be business suicide for them, at least in regards to Jelsoft, and as I said before, they aren't stupid people.
            Martin,

I hope you are correct.
            I do want to see major improvements coming in the near future for the vBulletin software.

IPB has't been around as long as VB - and yet they have achieved many great things from their admin control panel, profile system - etc.

Innovation is the key to greatness.

I would like someone from Internet Brands to come around and give us some idea for the future of vBulletin.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

I am very excited about this news and the staff had the opportunity to ask questions during a meeting. I am confident about this acquisition and have a feeling that Jelsoft would not have gone through with this if it would change exactly that what makes the software and the company strong. I am looking forward to see what the future brings for this company.

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
                Banned
                • Mar 2004
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Kier
                Why the prejudice against developing nations?

Regardless, there are currently no plans to out-source vBulletin development to anyone. The vBulletin development team remains unchanged.
                because some of us are sick of our companies outsourcing. That's a whole new political arguement though and doesn't need to be taken up in this thread.

Comment

• Razasharp
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris
                  I am very excited about this news and the staff had the opportunity to ask questions during a meeting. I am confident about this acquisition and have a feeling that Jelsoft would not have gone through with this if it would change exactly that what makes the software and the company strong. I am looking forward to see what the future brings for this company.
                  Floris, I am a little excited too, but anxious at the same time As you know I am a HUGE fan of vB.

I can see how good things can come of this, but I can also see how things could go terribly wrong.

Which is why I think an outline of plans from James or the new owners would really help right now.

Perhaps if a gallery or cms is announced for example, people will start seeing the benefit of this acquisition and quit worrying so much?
                  What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• simsim
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by BamaStangGuy
                    because some of us are sick of our companies outsourcing. That's a whole new political arguement though and doesn't need to be taken up in this thread.
                    Debating political and/or economical impacts of Globalization on national companies is an argument. Prejudice against developing countries is not. It's racism.

So let it just end here.
                    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2004
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by simsim
                      Debating political and/or economical impacts of Globalization on national companies is an argument. Prejudice against developing countries is not. It's racism.

So let it just end here.
                      Yes Mr. Politically Correct

Comment

• Yours Truly
                        • Feb 2007
                        • 3.6.x

Lol, i don't even think he is correct

Comment

• simsim
                          • Nov 2005
                          • 3.6.x

No problem, Mr. Patriotic Moron.
                          You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Yours Truly
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 3.6.x

Dude chill your beans, and i sensed no form of patriotism in his post?

Comment

• mlucek
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by r007
                              It looks like Internet Brands is looking to hire a PHP Developer with experience with vBulletin for their California office. Who knows if they are looking for someone to work solely on vBulletin, but they mention it.
                              PHP Developer
                              Job Code: PHPCOM0407
                              # of openings: 1
                              Internet Brands, Inc.
                              909 North Sepulveda Blvd., 11th Floor
                              El Segundo, CA 90245

HMMMMM, I know exactly where that is !! I live in El Segundo 1/2 mile away from them ... Hmmmmmmm Hmmmmm Hmmmm ....

Comment

• Chousho
                                • Jan 2004
                                • 3.8.x

There's nothing wrong with either Political Correctness or Patriotism unless they are taken too far. But these kind of comments are both off topic, and leaving a reason for an interesting thread to be closed.

In regards to the actual topic at hand, I just noticed the "goodbye" thread in chit chat. I hope IB treats Jelsoft as an investment, not just as another endeavor.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...