This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skeptical
    • Oct 2000

Whatever you do, just don't turn into another Infopoop, or whatever that company is called these days.

Old timers will know what I'm talking about.
    Well, there it is.
    - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• Fusion
      • Aug 2001
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Skeptical
      Whatever you do, just don't turn into another Infopoop, or whatever that company is called these days.

Old timers will know what I'm talking about.
      Hear hear!
      Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Ashley Busby
        • Oct 2002

Data Protection is a very serious matter - we ask customers for personal information and are very protective of the information provided. We store it securely and take every step to ensure that the information is not compromised or shared.

That said, we also have a legal obligation not to share information, so our fierce protection and legal obligation to protect all customer information will ensure that this information will not be shared, rest assured.

Comment

• Joe
          • May 2000

Congrats guys!

I remember the day that vB went live, I quickly went from UBB to vB, v 1.11a (anyone else remember that version? ). I have been a HUGE vBulletin fan ever sense.

Internet Brands aqquired my forum, BikeForums.net earlier this year. I did a lot of research on them before signing my site over, they are a great company, smart leardership and really understand what community means.

I think this is a great development for both vB and IB.
          Bike Forums.net

Comment

• Comtech
            Banned
            • Nov 2004
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Ashley Busby
            Data Protection is a very serious matter - we ask customers for personal information and are very protective of the information provided. We store it securely and take every step to ensure that the information is not compromised or shared.

That said, we also have a legal obligation not to share information, so our fierce protection and legal obligation to protect all customer information will ensure that this information will not be shared, rest assured.
            With all due respect (and I do mean that), you are speaking from the perspective of an employee, concerning what the rules once were.

Jelsoft was never owned by another company, Jelsoft was its own parent company. Things have since changed.

By law, the parent company could never be considered as a 3rd party. It owns Jelsoft, it owns vBulletin and all the customer information attached to jelsoft or vBulletin. Each and every customer should have been made aware that Jelsoft might be sold to a large corporation - before it occured.

The customers make or break a product. This may spell the end of vBulletin and spell greater things for IPB.
            Last edited by Comtech; Thu 5 Jul '07, 9:58am.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
              • Sep 2001

I have to echo Discussions statements on this... I trust jelsoft implicitily with the protection of our data however I feel that the statements made do not address the concern about where, when, and how our data may be used by Internet Brands "corporate" and its "subsidsidaries". Internet Brands and its subsidiaries are bound by US law and do not have such stringent data protection requirements.

I would feel more comfortable if this were addressed in less vague terms and see the TOS / useragreement updated ot reflect whatever clarifications are made.
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Fusion
                • Aug 2001
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                I have to echo Discussions statements on this... I trust jelsoft implicitily with the protection of our data however I feel that the statements made do not address the concern about where, when, and how our data may be used by Internet Brands "corporate" and its "subsidsidaries". Internet Brands and its subsidiaries are bound by US law and do not have such stringent data protection requirements.

I would feel more comfortable if this were addressed in less vague terms and see the TOS / useragreement updated ot reflect whatever clarifications are made.
                I have to agree with both Reeve of Shinra and Discussions.
                Legally, IB could use the data from Jelsoft to scout out other assets to acquire just by running a simple search in the customer database.

Just an example, mind you, but a very real one.
                Toddler from Hell

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

I think if vbulletin continue to expand there product range they will get bigger much faster than they might image, espielly once they have the blog released, I just hope they have plans in the future to work on a Gallery add-on

Comment

• jmvb
                    • Jan 2005

I'm 100% sure this buy out will bring the same old same old:

1. Code encrypted or encoded
                    2. Price jacking up.
                    3. Big company bad attitude.

Mark my words. There is no way around that. All for profits. I'm starting to get that bad taste in my mouth...

It was good while it lasted though...

Same old same old.

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                      • May 2002
                      • 1.1.x

FFS people, wait until things start going wrong before screaming that the sky is falling. None of you have any sort of clue how this will work out in the end, and you are kidding yourself if you think you do.

Comment

• zanack
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 3.6.x

I'm concerned by this acquisition but appreciate James talking to people here in order to allay some of the fears that we have.

My concern is based on losing what I consider to be a small, reliable and friendly company whose business ethics have been excellent. Whilst I think in the short term vB will remain fairly much the same, it's the longer term development that concerns me. I like liaising with a small, personal company whose software I can trust. There will inevitably be change at some point in the future - I only hope it works out positively.

Clearly we cannot predict what will occur ... I shall be hoping for the best.

Having said that, I understand the need to expand and grow - it's a tough one!!

Comment

• Razasharp
                          • Feb 2005
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by squall14716
                          FFS people, wait until things start going wrong before screaming that the sky is falling. None of you have any sort of clue how this will work out in the end, and you are kidding yourself if you think you do.
                          Most people are airing concerns, which is expected. Only a few are 'predicting' things. Please don't tar everyone with the same brush.

It's a good thing that people are taking the time to reply as the comments contained in this thread will actually be of much help to the new owners and the managing team.

FAO James, I would still like to see an outline of what you plan for vB and any related products, I, like many, am anxious to know things are still going in the right direction. Cheers.
                          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                            • May 2002
                            • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Razasharp
                            Most people are airing concerns, which is expected. Only a few are 'predicting' things. Please don't tar everyone with the same brush.

It's a good thing that people are taking the time to reply as the comments contained in this thread will actually be of much help to the new owners and the managing team.

FAO James, I would still like to see an outline of what you plan for vB and any related products, I, like many, am anxious to know things are still going in the right direction. Cheers.
                            Airing concerns is one thing. Saying "this is what is going to happen" is what is annoying me, and what my post was meant to address.

Comment

• Yours Truly
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Yours Truly
                              There is all this mention of them having most of their websites run with vBulletin
                              , if this is the case i really can't see this being a bad problem.

Looking through some of their sites they are pretty big forums that have been going on for a long time, so more than likely they have a vast amount of experience with vBulletin from its early stages so they know the system as well as most of you claim to do.

So it's not really some stranger company coming in hearing that vBulletin is the leader with Bulletin Boards. And trying to force their ideas upon vBulletin not really knowing what vBulletin is about.

It is a company with a vast amount of experience in this field. So at the end of the day when vBulletin was going to be bought out (was pretty inevitable really) then this must have been one of the best companies you could have asked for to buy out vBulletin. Like i say they must have a vast amount of experience with vBulletin since most of their sites use it instead of IPB.

What i'm trying to say really is this is better than some money grabbing company coming in with no idea of what vBulletin is, how it works and what it is used for. This is a company who must have masses of experience with the product looking at the age of some of their sites with vBulletin on.
                              Just like to re-illiterate my point =)

Comment

• tickedon
                                • Jan 2004
                                • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Originally posted by Discussions
                                With all due respect (and I do mean that), you are speaking from the perspective of an employee, concerning what the rules once were.

Jelsoft was never owned by another company, Jelsoft was its own parent company. Things have since changed.

By law, the parent company could never be considered as a 3rd party. It owns Jelsoft, it owns vBulletin and all the customer information attached to jelsoft or vBulletin. Each and every customer should have been made aware that Jelsoft might be sold to a large corporation - before it occured.

The customers make or break a product. This may spell the end of vBulletin and spell greater things for IPB.
                                Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra

The Data Protection Act in the UK addresses this, and as a UK company, Jelsoft are bound by it. Doesn't matter that they are now owned by a US company, they are registered in the UK, have offices in the UK, etc... and so are still bound by it

The parent company does now have access to the information we have provided Jelsoft. HOWEVER, any such access and use of the information has to be done within the Data Protection Act. This includes that they can't suddenly move the data to the US at IB where it lacks the protection it would have - the EU and USA have specifically dealt with this issue and have in place a program to deal with this, 'Safe Harbour', which basically puts stringent requirements on US companies handling data originating from an EU country, and essentially brings it up close to the level's found in the EU countries (http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/).

All this FUD is not helping. Rather than spreading what is quite frankly rubbish and clutching at straws, go read the relelvant legislation and regulations and then when you are informed, you'll realise that this doomsday "Help they have my data and are going to abuse it" scenario is highly unlikely.
                                Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
                                # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
                                # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...