• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

I too am iffy on this entire situation.

I have a bad feeling that this spells the end of vBulletin as we know it & love it. Only time will tell.

Comment

• simsim
      • Nov 2005
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
      Jelsoft appears to have been a solid company with a solid reputation, why the decision to sell out to a third party rather than hire personal, or purchasing a company with, the expertise needed to take the company to the next level?
      Very well said. But even though we now know they've "complimentary partnered" with another company, I was hoping it would a one with it's own solutions & product lines. From what I see, it's a company that does what many of us here are doing: building communities for making profits by using 3rd party ready-made solutions like vBulletin, MediaWiki, etc. to empower their sites! And really none of these sites run by the company are world-class or seem to pioneer their markets! I really couldn't understand what James exactly mean by "helping us to scale up in terms of development, sales and marketing and customer service."
      Can you share any other details related to the acquisition? Did IB come to you or did Jelsoft put itself on the block? If you decided that IB was not a complimentary fit, can you tell us what other companies were looking at Jelsoft?
      thank you
      Good question.

It looks that James is holding a true trust & belief in IB. Since Jelsoft has been running under his wise & farsightedness vision through the past seven years, I really hope that this move isn't an exception. I'm just expressing my concerns as a loyal & passionate customer of a company with a proven record of world-class professional products & phenomenal dedication to its customers.
      Last edited by simsim; Wed 4 Jul '07, 2:39pm. Reason: Grrrr... grammar!
      You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Chousho
        • Jan 2004
        • 3.8.x

Good luck with this.
        Hopefully this will work to everyone's benefit. Time will tell.

Comment

• quiklink
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ---MAD---
          Are you talking for experiance or just attacking deebs :s?
          25+ years worth of experience in both corporate setting and self-employed, buyouts of one of my own companies and two as an employee. And none of them ended up with the customers getting screwed, just internal changes to the management structure and the bureaucracy. That enough experience for you?

Can the customer get screwed in a buyout? Yep. Does it always happen as the other poster claims? No.

Comment

• Ascor
            • Jul 2006
            • 3.8.x

New member, 5 posts, only active is this topic... hum who are you in real ?

Comment

• Razasharp
              • Feb 2005
              • 3.7.x

James,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I guess there were many factors that played a part in making this decision, and I can appreciate that you cannot disclose them all.

As a fan of vB, I hope that it will be a positive move, and that any functionality developed for any of IBs sites (by you guys) will also be offered to everyone else, at the usual affordable prices.

I think that it may be a good idea if you are from now on, more transparent, and provide outlines as to what is being developed, and also, be honest and let us know about anything that isn't on the cards in the forseeable future. There is as you can imagine, quite a bit of uncertainty and hopefully a plan of sorts will not only give people something to look forward to, but put a stop to many fears that people may have.

My own questions to you would be:
              • What are these 'products' you refer to? A CMS? A Gallery? Groups functionality?
              • What are your plans for vB4?
              • What else will you be working on?

I think this will help show people what your focus is, and importantly, will help us decide whether we should continue waiting for vB to bring out products with the functionality we need, or start looking at alternatives.

The biggest criticism I have of Jelsoft in the past is the lack of transparency - we just never knew where we stood with regards to future products, or where vB was actually heading.

Thanks, and good luck to both you and the team! I look forward to remaining an avid vB user.
              What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                • Feb 2005
                • 1.1.x

I am starting to think it will be like Adobe acquiring Macromedia, and they said the core staff will stay, but that was not the case. Maybe they will give visa's to all U.K. staff, if they decide to move HQ to the USA.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Ascor
                  IPB, they are so sneaky...

It must be JakeS, I wonder why he did not respond to this thread yet.
                  Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Wed 4 Jul '07, 3:03pm. Reason: Remeber who was just Banned..

Comment

• Joshyyy
                    • Jun 2007
                    • 3.6.x

Most People love vBulletin just the way it is !
                    But hey, things can only get better now right?

Comment

• ---MAD---
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Discussions
                      I too am iffy on this entire situation.

I have a bad feeling that this spells the end of vBulletin as we know it & love it. Only time will tell.
                      Precisely and I am thinking just like that.
                      Jelsoft appears to have been a solid company with a solid reputation, why the decision to sell out to a third party rather than hire personal, or purchasing a company with, the expertise needed to take the company to the next level?
                      I wonder this as well. Even though development is quite slow. But the support and security is fantastic and I think if they hired one or two more developers, it would have done them more good (I know they are hiring so dont link me ).
                      Originally posted by Ascor
                      I wonder that too .

Comment

• nuno
                        • Apr 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Jelsoft sold.
                        So what went wrong?
                        You're my Prince of Peace
                        And I will live my life for You

Comment

• antiekeradio
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by DaveTomneyUK
                          So I am guessing this party at the bottom will be changing "Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd." or will it stay the same?
                          The ownership op Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. has changed, not its name.
                          Jelsoft having been taken over does not automatically alter its name...

Comment

• Sergio68
                            • May 2002
                            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by nuno
                            Jelsoft sold.
                            So what went wrong?
                            Why wrong ?
                            "May be" they just got a huge bunch of money and the buyer mean to do even more money by let this company grow even more and better
                            Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                            Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• jam583
                              • Jul 2001

For the comments in regards to a name change why would IB ever do that? Part of why they purchased is for brand recognition if nothing more. They are simply making a foot print they currently have MUCH bigger.

I moved to VB some time ago and have been pleased with it. With this annoucement of IB, well, I don't know what to think. I seriously doubt the UK operations would close, that would be silly. Most IT companies have a US and UK office.

Natrually IB is going to use the talent VB has on staff to make sites they own better, as they should. But as they do this, I can only hope focus isn't lost on VB.

One question I would like to see is if IB seeked out Jelsoft or if Jelsoft seeked out IB. I have been a .com guy since 97 and have seen this happen over and over. IB is a very open company to listen to your .com and potentially purchase it.
                              Jason Miller
                              http://www.GMPerformanceTuning.com
                              http://projecthillside.com
                              http://weekendoasis.net
                              http://jamz.net

Comment

• Wheels
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 3.5.x

I think the owner of Jelsoft saw an offer they couldn't refuse and decided to sell. Hopefully being under IB's care will work for the best and bring out the best product out there. Only thing about IB, the initials sounds like IPB! Maybe if IB can talk to IPB about aquiring them, we would have no more IPB vs vB threads!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...