X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yours Truly
    • Feb 2007
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Deebs
    Hmmm, not really sure how to take this acquisition. As Reeve of Shinra mentioned, if there are no synergies to be made then it really is a quick invest, quick sell, make a profit style of purchase. I really hope I am wrong but as they say, the "writing is on the wall." I have been using VB since the first release and ran BarrysWorld under this incredible software which was way back before everyone made a mint with the 2000 bug.

Now I question how the future pans out for this product and I get so envious as I watch other products overtake in the fast lane and provide as good as or better features. If prices increase then I will look elsewhere and I do not think I am the only one. Yes, VB is an amazing piece of software but I bet if we looked closer at the alternatives we may well say the same thing. Competition is good for keeping prices low and the consumers happy.

I have been waiting this past month for news of the blog and social network addon and if I am being perfectly honest I can say I was disappointed to read about a bug tracker and acquisition. To me the MOST important thing that will ensure my loyalty is more exposure of the blog/sn addon that Jelsoft are developing. One more thing Jelsoft, keep it opensource and not encrypted. The moment you implement a closed source model is the same time I decide to move my business elsewhere. I HATE companies that enforce that upon us and yes I have paid for some closed source product but not out of choice.

Aside from the above, mucho respect to the co-founders. I was in the same position back in 1999 and took the opportunity. May you both have a fantastic future ahead of you.
    Amen regarding the opensource

Comment

• 3dsoft
      • Apr 2005
      • 3.6.x

Vbulletin heavily depends on the developers. They play the most important role at this very moment. If they get upset by this deal or IB future plans, vb might change its direction in a fast pace.

Comment

• Deebs
        • Jun 2005
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Floris
        @ Deeds: vBulletin is visible source, not open source. It has a commercial license. Just a friendly FYI.
        Sorry my bad. I meant visible and unencrypted source. As it should always be

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

Originally posted by RedTyger
          No announcement discussion thread, maybe this should be moved.

I'm sure Jelsoft will absolutely not go downhill nor will the management become corrupted by the influx of funds and sell out as is the partial tradition as far as a buyout by a larger company goes. But I nevertheless found James's announcement complemented by an avatar featuring a sack of money hilarious.

That is all.
          How dare Jelsoft attempt to make more money, money that will largely be used for better research and development?
          Forums

Comment

• Bema Jinn
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Quillz
            How dare Jelsoft attempt to make more money, money that will largely be used for better research and development?
            It's not about vB or IB making money, they're a company, it's what they do. It's HOW they make their money people are getting worried about.

Comment

• Yours Truly
              • Feb 2007
              • 3.6.x

Will the price main undisclosed?

Comment

• sweet22
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by 3dsoft
                I know that about silicon graphics, but why didn't they sell Alias to Autodesk in the first place??
                At the time Autodesk was still restructuring and moving around all its divisions, like Discreet becoming Autodesk: Media and Entertainment. They reevaluated the market landscape and saw 3ds Max was being used primarily for games and not for film/tv. They deiced that Alias and Maya would complement the growing use of 3D in tv and film.

Comment

• Fusion
                  • Aug 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by 3dsoft
                  Vbulletin heavily depends on the developers. They play the most important role at this very moment. If they get upset by this deal or IB future plans, vb might change its direction in a fast pace.
                  Yeah, such fast paces are rarely a good thing. Essentially the developers' hands are tied, so all they can really do if they dislike something is up and leave, and we certainly don't want that.
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Deebs
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Quillz
                    Indeed. If Jelsoft actually provide concrete evidence (ie new products) then I have no issue in paying for those additional products via separate licence fees.

What I will not understand is if they increase the price of VB without any additional features which are major and not normal evolution of the product.

Comment

• Fusion
                      • Aug 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Yours Truly
                      Will the price main undisclosed?
                      No one can say for sure at this time.
                      Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Didzi
                        • Apr 2007

Not sure what to make of this announcement just yet I hope we are kept informed of any updates.

I have only just paid for my owned vbulletin license. I hope that if the price goes up for upgrades then its not by much.

Wonder how this will affect the mod community ?

Comment

• Yours Truly
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Fusion
                          No one can say for sure at this time.
                          I guess the higher staff can disclose that information i would like to know how much vBulletin was considered to be worth

Comment

• Fusion
                            • Aug 2001
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Yours Truly
                            I guess the higher staff can disclose that information i would like to know how much vBulletin was considered to be worth
                            I'm pretty sure we'll never be privvy to that, as much as we'd like to be.
                            I'm guessing only the owners know, most of the staff here are probably as ignorant as we are.
                            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                              • Sep 2001

If interenet brands is a publically traded company then the cost of the aquisition might be noted in the quarterly fillings.
                              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Yours Truly
                                • Feb 2007
                                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Fusion
                                I'm pretty sure we'll never be privvy to that, as much as we'd like to be.
                                I'm guessing only the owners know, most of the staff here are probably as ignorant as we are.
                                I'm just curious as to how much IB felt vBulletin was worth =D

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...