Peggy
    ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• ---MAD---
      • Jun 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Please note that there really is not anything more we can add to what James already posted in his announcement. However I have quite a long business history (no age jokes please ) and in fact my College Thesis was on 'Merger's and Takeovers'. In addition I have direct experience with a number of such acquisitions on both ends. My personal comments are as follows:

1. Not all acquisitions are bad for the acquired company. Conversely not all of them are good either. I only state this obvious point because some people have already jumped to the conclusion that this one is going to be 'bad' in spite of any evidence to support this.

2. The key factors in such acquisitions are: (a) whether or not the acquired company is in the same business as the acquiring company, and (b) what resources the parent company can bring to the acquired company.

For option 'a', my experience and research shows that the most dramatic changes (for better or worst, but mostly worst) have come when the parent company acquires a company they are in competition with. As should be clear by now, such a situation does not exist with the IB acquisition of Jelsoft.

For option 'b', the relevant factors are what the new parent company can provide the acquired company. If they can provide financial, marketing and other resources in excess of what the acquired company can produce on it's own, then the results are almost always a net plus for both companies and for customers. Again this is not merely conjecture on my part. I have quite a lot of experience in this area.

3. There are no guarantees in life. This would be true if Jelsoft was acquired or not. However the mere fact of an acquisition is not enough for people to automatically assume the worse. In fact, based on my experience I would say the odds are substantially in favor of things improving for both Jelsoft and it's customers.

Given all this one obvious question that has popped up several times is how the staff feel about this. I can state unequivocally that not only am I excited about this and am confident that this will be a net plus for our customers, but in rather extensive discussions with the rest of the staff the feelings are very positive about this and the potential it holds.

One final thought. All of this is just words and too often words are used to confused and obfuscate. Some will assume that my words are simply a smoke screen to hide some underlying massive conspiracy to delude our costumers or that I, in fact, may be delusional. The first is definitely not the case, but some people will believe what they want to believe regardless of the facts. There is nothing I can do about people who choose to believe the worst. As for the latter, if I am delusional, then I would be the last one to know. However I assure you that my wife would let me know.

The bottom line is that I truly believe this is not only a positive step for Jelsoft and the staff, but more importantly I believe this is going to be a very positive move for our customers too. But those are just 'words' too. The proof will be in our product and support and in the end our customers will make the final judgment.
      Thank you for spending time to ease your minds. I think you are right that we should wait at least 6 months to a year before judging whether this has turned badly or not. After all, we have no choice .

Comment

• Dream
        • Mar 2001
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ---MAD---
        Thank you for spending time to ease your minds. I think you are right that we should wait at least 6 months to a year before judging whether this has turned badly or not. After all, we have no choice .
        Grats to quote a big big post to post a two-liner

Next time remove some of the text please.
        Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• ---MAD---
          • Jun 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Dream
          Grats to quote a big big post to post a two-liner

Next time remove some of the text please.
          Hahaha, sorry .

Comment

• MJM
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ---MAD---
            Thank you for spending time to ease your minds.
            I agree, the best way to ease your mind is to spend time ... preferrably on a vacation somewhere.

I think you are right that we should wait at least 6 months to a year before judging whether this has turned badly or not.
            Equals period of time for the introduction of new products/version upgrades, which staff can then go on vacation.

After all, we have no choice .
            Patience is a virtue
            Mark

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.8.x

ppfffftt... Jelsoft is gonna be just fine, maybe even better.
              Peggy
              ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• AllenAyres
                • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Nope... CEOs are often shareholders in their own rights but unless they own more than 50% of the company, their vote doesn't mean more than anyone else's. 1 share often equals 1 vote. In fact CEOs can lose their jobs if they are not the majority shareholder and propose something that can be unpopular with the shareholders. All it takes is a shareholder to get enough votes for a vote of no confidence to oust them.
                I have a bit of a history with that

As someone who watched vb grow from that meeting on ezboard, all I can say is good luck with the changes
                - Allen
                - http://www.praisecafe.org

Comment

• nuno
                  • Apr 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by AllenAyres

As someone who watched vb grow from that meeting on ezboard, all I can say is good luck with the changes
                  Look who jumped out of the closet!
                  You're my Prince of Peace
                  And I will live my life for You

Comment

• Dream
                    • Mar 2001
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by AllenAyres

Wow what was the name of the old UBB mod community again? Allen was the administrator

I used to go by the nick "CopyCat" there. Good times. Avatars were the next big thing.
                    Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• AllenAyres
                      • Feb 2001

Originally posted by nuno
                      Look who jumped out of the closet!
                      I own a current license

Originally posted by Dream
                      Wow what was the name of the old UBB mod community again? Allen was the administrator

I used to go by the nick "CopyCat" there. Good times. Avatars were the next big thing.
                      is the administrator

Good to see you again.

And the NBT was the 'Who's Online' script - literally thousands were screaming for its release and we had to start new threads when the previous one would get >15-20 pages just to summarize why El hadn't released it quite yet

I'd stay up all night answering 'how do I?' questions, easily 50-100 posts a day... good times

Now I am married and have a chunky boy turning 8 months old tomorrow - I stay up half the night helping with diapers and feedings... great times
                      - Allen
                      - http://www.praisecafe.org

Comment

• AWS
                        • Apr 2000
                        • 5.2.x

The old UBB hacking forums used to be at scriptkeepers.com.
                        I remember those days well.
                        Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• CreationNation
                          • Mar 2004
                          • 3.6.x

I saw today that Internet Brands has filed for a $100 million IPO.

Company that owns Autos.com and Loan.com files for IPO. Internet Brands, Inc. has filed for a $100M initial public offering, according to a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The company started its life as CarsDirect, but then switched to the generic “Internet Brands” name when it diversified. Internet Brands focuses on big […]

Hopefully the Jelsoft fellas got some stock in the 'ol deal and it works out for them
                          Deron
                          www.creationnation.com
                          www.ultimatemetal.com

Comment

• jeffinj
                            • Apr 2006

Just 1 percent cut is enough.
                            I am very optimistic of Jelsoft's future.
                            www.christianforumsite.com
                            sigpic

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2004
                              • 3.6.x

Looks like IB has been busy: http://www.thealarmclock.com/mt/arch...html#Permalink

Comment

• MRGTB
                                • May 2005

there all automobile forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...