This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexanderT
    • Mar 2003

flyertalk.com has been one of their communities that I frequently visit. Good one.

Comment

• simsim
      • Nov 2005
      • 3.6.x

I'm really trying hard to keep my mouth shut up from expressing my feelings about this. Lets hope everything goes well & fine. There's no point in debating the matter where there's almost no information available about the deal's details.

The Internet Brands website really is so uninformative! There isn't even a "About Us" page.
      You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• 3dsoft
        • Apr 2005
        • 3.6.x

It seems like most of their websites declined in terms of alexa ranking within the last year. But this doesn't mean anything.
        Last edited by 3dsoft; Wed 4 Jul '07, 10:25am.

Comment

• Bema Jinn
          • Mar 2003

From looking at the IB website, and the links therein it looks as if they're the kind of company to buy 'quick buck' companies.

This is my first impression anyway, i'm hopefully wrong.

Hopefully they bought jelsoft because they liked what they saw, and not because they saw it as a cash cow.

Good luck Jelsoft,
          and IB; treat them/us well

Comment

• Fusion
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Bema Jinn
            From looking at the IB website, and the links therein it looks as if they're the kind of company to buy 'quick buck' companies.

Hopefully they bought jelsoft because they liked what they saw, and not because they saw it as a cash cow.
            Obviously, they are in this business to make money, who isn't?
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• GTAce
              • Sep 2005

When I first read about this, I was extremely confused...You're labeling it as an acquisition here, yet you also say that Jelsoft will still have its own (and same) CEO. That's not possible. Here's my response quoted from AdminFusion:

This sounds more like a sponsorship than an acquisition...James makes it sound like Jelsoft as a company will still exist under the same name and operate as usual, the only difference is that Internet Brands will invest in them.

How can Jelsoft still have its own CEO (the same one as before) yet be owned by another company with its own CEO?
              Can somebody from Jelsoft shed some light?
              Last edited by GTAce; Wed 4 Jul '07, 10:39am.
              vB Skins. Superior Support.
              Follow us @ForumFlux

Comment

• Fusion
                • Aug 2001
                • 3.8.x

Maybe it should be a thread of its own, but we seem to have forgotten about a special someone in this debate. Would anyone care to guess what John Percival's next project will be? Is he joining the competition perhaps?
                Toddler from Hell

Comment

• quiklink
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by GTAce
                  When I first read about this, I was extremely confused...You're labeling it as an acquisition here, yet you also say that Jelsoft will still have its own (and same) CEO. That's not possible.
                  Sure it is. Lots of companies are subsidiaries of larger companies and have their own separate management staff and employees.

Comment

• joeychgo
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by GTAce
                    When I first read about this, I was extremely confused...You're labeling it as an acquisition here, yet you also say that Jelsoft will still have its own (and same) CEO. That's not possible.

This happens all the time. Often, it doesnt last more then a few years and is mostly for smooth transition. But it happens all the time.
                    Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                    Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• 3dsoft
                      • Apr 2005
                      • 3.6.x

I just remember when Silicon Graphics sold Alias (with the famous Maya 3d software) for US$57.1 million to a private equity investment firm (Accel-KKR). Only one year later they sold Alias to Autodesk for US$182 million. Which was good because Autodesk sells similar products, so it actually fits in their product line.

Comment

• GTAce
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by quiklink
                        Sure it is. Lots of companies are subsidiaries of larger companies and have their own separate management staff and employees.
                        Originally posted by joeychgo
                        This happens all the time. Often, it doesnt last more then a few years and is mostly for smooth transition. But it happens all the time.
                        Ah, well that is not the impression that I got from the announcement...When I read acquisition, I automatically assumed "buyout". If Jelsoft is merely a subsidiary of IB, then they should have specified, because most people aren't going to draw that conclusion. Hence why people are asking about name changes, copyrights, etc.
                        Follow us @ForumFlux

Comment

• nwingate
                          • Jul 2003
                          • 3.8.x

Lets see... my largest competition (www.doityourself.com) now owns the very software I use to run my sites.

Comment

• Fusion
                            • Aug 2001
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by nwingate
                            Lets see... my largest competition (www.doityourself.com) now owns the very software I use to run my sites.
                            Yup, that's a pickle.
                            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• nwingate
                              • Jul 2003
                              • 3.8.x

I wonder how them owning a large/profitable vbulletin based website will effect their decisions on how they develop the software. Will they make it decisions based on what is best for their own sites instead of what is best for everyone?

Comment

• GTAce
                                • Sep 2005

Guys...if what I said and quoted in post #41 holds true, then decision-making will not change very much. If this is what it seems to be, Jelsoft will still act as a separate company and Internet Brands will have little, if any, say over the day to day decisions that Jelsoft makes.

but keep in mind...I don't speak for Jelsoft - so it would be better to wait for them to tell you something before drawing conclusions
                                Follow us @ForumFlux

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...