X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dkon26
    • Jul 2007
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris
    We are not at liberty to share confidential information. Sorry.
    That means no!

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Not really, it probably means they do know, but it's not up to them to say. It's up to IB to say if they make an announcement, or give them the go ahead to say it themselves here.

Remember, IB own this site and the company now, it's not Jelsoft anymore really. They'll just be keeping the Jelsoft name going as a brand name for obvious reasons. People like Floris are now controlled by IB and what they can say is controlled by them now.
      Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 8 Jul '07, 3:23pm.

Comment

• dkon26
        • Jul 2007
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
        Not really, it probably means they do know, but it's not up to them to say. It's up to IB to say if they make an announcement, or give them the go ahead to say it themselves.
        If it wasnt for a great product, I would rip that answer apart. Enough said.

Comment

• MRGTB
          • May 2005

In what way? What I say is true, like it or not.

Comment

• dkon26
            • Jul 2007
            • 3.7.x

When I had my software company a few years back (before it was stolen by a larger company) we would pull the same stunts they do here. We would release bits of information to make it appear we were working hard on new products and etc.. Most companies keep the little guys in the dark. So no, I dont believe they have that information. Remember, customer service is all about the sale and keeping the customers happy. Not very many companies would release important information to them.

The company I work for now, its like you have to be KGB to get any information at all about the company. But the difference is, they actually do have future plans and products which is why it is public information. When a company is just going from day to day, there is no info. That kind of info can only make a company look better so no company would call that confidential unless... it doesnt exist!

Comment

• dkon26
              • Jul 2007
              • 3.7.x

To further support my "opinion", go here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221721

Do a google search as well. Seriously, social networking is the way to go these days and im suprised that VB has not gone that route yet. That would be an add-on that would be worth every penny.

Why not create a bunch of add-ons and charge seperately for them? That would make the most sense. Not just telling us that they are on the way and never appear. The more and more I think about this, im actually glad Jelsoft was bought. Maybe now IB can finish the job they started.

Comment

• MRGTB
                • May 2005

Originally posted by bboarddotcom
                When I had my software company a few years back (before it was stolen by a larger company) we would pull the same stunts they do here. We would release bits of information to make it appear we were working hard on new products and etc.. Most companies keep the little guys in the dark. So no, I dont believe they have that information. Remember, customer service is all about the sale and keeping the customers happy. Not very many companies would release important information to them.

The company I work for now, its like you have to be KGB to get any information at all about the company. But the difference is, they actually do have future plans and products which is why it is public information. When a company is just going from day to day, there is no info. That kind of info can only make a company look better so no company would call that confidential unless... it doesnt exist!
                Well yeah, I must admit I see your point. I didn't think about it that way. I used to work for a very large company who acted just like that. Good points really.

Comment

• 0ptima
                  • Jan 2002

Originally posted by AWS
                  Would it really be a bad thing if the price went up and software and services got better?
                  No! If increased prices meant taking on more developers and turning out products faster would be amazing. Im sure some of the very talented and dedicated vb.org coders would love to work for Jelsoft.

Comment

• dkon26
                    • Jul 2007
                    • 3.7.x

Well yeah, I must admit I see your point. I didn't think about it that way. I used to work for a very large company who acted just like that. Good points really.
                    Its information like that which is the reason we are an ISO 9001 registered company!

Comment

• Anthony89
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 3.8.x

Remember, IB own this site and the company now, it's not Jelsoft anymore really. They'll just be keeping the Jelsoft name going as a brand name for obvious reasons. People like Floris are now controlled by IB and what they can say is controlled by them now.
                      Oh my god that's such an exaggeration and a dramatic way to put it.

Comment

• dkon26
                        • Jul 2007
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Anthony89
                        Oh my god that's such an exaggeration and a dramatic way to put it.
                        No, its actually 100% true.

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

I've never been called dramatic before.

But it IS true none the less.

Comment

• dkon26
                            • Jul 2007
                            • 3.7.x

I keep reading that we should be happy with how secure the software is. I agree with that but have you not noticed how the new version of phpbb is almost the same as VB? And its free? It may not be a stable version yet, but its on its way at a rapid rate.

When your almost competing with a free product, I dont know.. It doesnt sit well with me.

Comment

• MRGTB
                              • May 2005

I've heard a lot of people complaining though about phpBB regarding the permissions and how there set out, very complicated and long winded I hear. Never installed and tested the new version myself.

It always seems to be one those forum boards hackers target the most also. God knows why because it's a free board with nothing to gain from it as a hacker to brag about. "WOW, I hacked a FREE board!". But they do seem to like hacking phpBB though. So for me it's too much of a risk board to use really.

I used to like phpBB for it's simplicity and the old default theme. Now I hate the default theme, it sounds like it's all become very overly complicated, and really has nothing anymore that I use to like about it. But thats my own personal opinion though.

Plus, phpBB aside, there are lots of other forum boards really now that can also be compared, like MyBB for example. But again, I've tried it and didn't really like it. But it is a very powerful free board though. It all boils down to a combination of things really for me. Style, Security, Ease of use. But there is one big thing I like about vBulletin. No directory require a 777 chmod. You go install IPB and see how many directory you have to chmod to 777, world writable. Tons!

I hear a lot of people complain about the way vB's admin panel is laid out also. Well I own both IPB and vBulletin. And I would much sooner have vBulletin admin panel any day of the week. I'm one of them people who does like the vBulletin admin panel layout.

So I would say there are good free alternatives out there if you don't have the cash to buy vBulletin, but none are as good as vBulletin though.
                              Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 8 Jul '07, 4:47pm.

Comment

• dkon26
                                • Jul 2007
                                • 3.7.x

I've heard a lot of people complaining though about phpBB regarding the permissions and how there set out, very complicated and long winded I hear. Never installed and tested the new version myself.

It always seems to one forum board hackers target the most also. God knows why because it's a free board with nothing to gain from it as a hacker to brag about. But they do seem to like hacking phpBB though. So for me it's two much of a risk board to use really.

I used to like phpBB for it's simplicity and the old default theme. Now I hate the default theme, it sounds like it's all become very overly complicated, and really has nothing anymore that I use to like about it. But thats my own personal opinion though.

Plus, phpBB aside, there are lots of other forum boards really now that can also be compared, like MyBB for example. But again, I've tried it and didn't really like it. But it is a very powerful free board though. It all boils down to a combination of things really for me. Style, Security, Ease of use. But thee is one big think I like about vBulletin. No directory require a 777 chmod. You go install IPB and see how many directory you have to chmod to 777, world writable. Tons!

I hear a lot of people complain about the way vB's admin panel is laid out. Well I own both IPB and vBulletin. And I would much sooner have vBulletin admin panel any day of the week. I'm one of them people who does like the vBulletin admin panel layout.
                                I agree with the admin panel. It is a lot easier to use. I tried the new phpbb version and it is a little complicated but you know down the road it will be almost the same as here. I would just love to have a built in gallery, some social networking abilities and etc. Although I know VB is a forum but why not combine several pieces of software into one? Especially one that everyone knows and trusts. Hint to IB!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...