X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ohiosweetheart
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by joeychgo
    Not true. Extra staff have to be on hand to handle support for the members. Making an annual payment simply helps defer that cost. Im sure part of it is profit, but not all of it.

Why all this discussion about price increases. I am amazed by some of the posts that are speculating large price increases. Who said there was going to be a price increase? Who said if they do increase the price that it would be an uncomfortable amount? What if they only raised $10? would that be ok with you? What about if they just eliminated the leased license? Would it be all THAT bad?

First - you have nothing to complain about yet, because nothing has happened, been announced or even been aluded to. You all just guessing. Seems most of the posts here talk about all the terrible things. How about some of the possible good things, like fresh capitol and additional programming staff so newer, faster, more feature loaded versions of vB can be released quicker. Maybe that additional staff could be dedicated to developing add ons like the blog or a photo gallery or a CMS package or whatever.

Many of you seem to be speculating, and only speculating about the negative. Some are outrageous as well, like the 'enterprise' license selling for $1000 -- please. I have a hard time beliving we're all gonna get stuck here.

Give them a chance. Dont worry until there is something to actually worry about.
    I could not agree more.
    Last edited by Ohiosweetheart; Sat 7 Jul '07, 8:02pm.
    Peggy
    ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• joeychgo
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by bboarddotcom
      IB will soon release some kind of notice.

That would be my expectation.
      Building my Automotive Forum Network...
      Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• nuno
        • Apr 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by joeychgo
        Not true. Extra staff have to be on hand to handle support for the members. Making an annual payment simply helps defer that cost. Im sure part of it is profit, but not all of it.

Why all this discussion about price increases. I am amazed by some of the posts that are speculating large price increases. Who said there was going to be a price increase? Who said if they do increase the price that it would be an uncomfortable amount? What if they only raised $10? would that be ok with you? What about if they just eliminated the leased license? Would it be all THAT bad?

First - you have nothing to complain about yet, because nothing has happened, been announced or even been aluded to. You all just guessing. Seems most of the posts here talk about all the terrible things. How about some of the possible good things, like fresh capitol and additional programming staff so newer, faster, more feature loaded versions of vB can be released quicker. Maybe that additional staff could be dedicated to developing add ons like the blog or a photo gallery or a CMS package or whatever.

Many of you seem to be speculating, and only speculating about the negative. Some are outrageous as well, like the 'enterprise' license selling for $1000 -- please. I have a hard time beliving we're all gonna get stuck here.

Give them a chance. Dont worry until there is something to actually worry about.
        Frankly, I can't blame anyone for speculating. IB's silence is deafening.
        You're my Prince of Peace
        And I will live my life for You

Comment

• Fusion
          • Aug 2001
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by nuno
          Come next week I fully expect something official from them, prolly on their website.
          Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by nuno
            I'll certainly agree with that. I've been watching their website, as I'm sure most of us have, for an announcement of some kind - nothing yet.
            Peggy
            ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

To be honest, it's common practise for this to happen. Where the people who have taken over will put things in motion first and watch what's being said for a few days before making any official statements.

My guess is, in the next few days we'll here something from them here. I'd be very surprised anyway if we didn't hear something in the next 5-7 days.

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.8.x

MRGTB - the past few days have been full of surprises, eh? So get ready, lol.
                Peggy
                ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• ---MAD---
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Still no news on future (next few months / years) plans :|. I cannot understand how a company has no plan on what it is to do next (after blog is released). I cannot understand either how a company can focus all it's energy on addons for its main software when the main software itself needs to be improved so much.

This is exactly the sort of thing everyone was talking about in the "vBulletin not making any progress" thread.

Comment

• AWS
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 5.2.x

Everyone is expecting a statement when in reality there might not be one. There might be an introduction and maybe a roadmap of what plans the parent company wants to follow. Other than that I doubt you'll get much more. Whether you think you're owed an explanation or not in reality neither IB or Jelsoft owe us nothing. Only thing we can do is sit back and watch what unfolds in the next couple months.
                    What's truly amazing is the reaction and speculation of some people in this thread.
                    Would it really be a bad thing if the price went up and software and services got better?
                    Name one thing you can buy today that cost the same in 2001. Prices go up all the time. If you don't raise prices the company stagnates. You can't operate at 2001 prices when the cost to run the company goes up every year. Do you think that Jelsoft staff are getting paid the same today as they did when they were hired?
                    I would expect a modest increase in price of new licenses and renewal fees for those new licenses. If they go the way wwwthreads did after being acquired by Infopop I would expect all current licenses to be grandfather so that renewals stay the same for as long as you own the license.
                    Along with price increase I would expect to see new products and more programmers hired to quicken the dev cycle.
                    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ---MAD---
                      Still no news on future (next few months / years) plans :|. I cannot understand how a company has no plan on what it is to do next (after blog is released). I cannot understand either how a company can focus all it's energy on addons for its main software when the main software itself needs to be improved so much.

This is exactly the sort of thing everyone was talking about in the "vBulletin not making any progress" thread.
                      Jelsoft has never disclosed their roadmap. It does not mean there isn't one.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by AWS
                        Name one thing you can buy today that cost the same in 2001. Prices go up all the time. If you don't raise prices the company stagnates. You can't operate at 2001 prices when the cost to run the company goes up every year. Do you think that Jelsoft staff are getting paid the same today as they did when they were hired?
                        Computers, Televisions, wireless phones, etc... It depends on how much competition their is on what you are selling. If you over price a product, it could mean death of your business or you do not have enough features or addons. I do not know where you purchase your items, but not all of us here has over 5 digit salary... I can exclude myself, as I can afford it, but would I want it for that price. I can always wait for another product to come out if worst comes to worst.

Anyone here would of done the same by selling a script like vBulletin, that is the point of making anything for the net, is to have someone hand you a large sack of money.

ok, this will be my last post here.

Comment

• bmc
                          • Apr 2005

OK, I've finished reading through the entire thread before voicing my opinion.

In regards to the acquisition by IB, I am not sure what to expect yet from them (e.g. whether this will have a positive or negative effect on vBulletin, the add-ons, and the development process). However, I am hoping that they will officially announce more detailed information on what's to come in a Press Release on their website in the near future.

I'm hoping for the best!
                          The Relationship Forum
                          The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                            Jelsoft has never disclosed their roadmap. It does not mean there isn't one.
                            Have support staff seen the long term road map?

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

We are not at liberty to share confidential information. Sorry.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                                • Jun 2005
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                                We are not at liberty to share confidential information. Sorry.
                                I understand .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...