X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kier
    Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
    • Sep 2000

Originally posted by MRGTB
    Yes, I understand that the developers like you are not dealing with the vBulletin sale side of things, and probably you also only found out later on before us. But that still doesn't mean, maybe people like John decided to ask you to put the Blog into motion because he did known the sale was going through, and saw an advantage in starting production on it.
    John has not been involved with vBulletin for several years now.

I decided to put the blog, project tools etc. into production many, many months before I knew anything about IB.

Comment

• Fusion
      • Aug 2001
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Kier
      I decided to put the blog, project tools etc. into production many, many months before I knew anything about IB.
      Pray tell!
      Last edited by Fusion; Fri 6 Jul '07, 5:44am. Reason: bleh
      Toddler from Hell

Comment

• harmor
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Dean C
        This is a business, and these things happen in business. People buy companies off other people etc. Name me one company that asked it's consumers whether acquisition by a third-party was a good idea or not... It's none of the consumers business. You of course have a choice whether to use the software or not, but I'd at least give it some time before passing judgement on the intentions of the new owners
        I know it's not the same but I think I remember one company asking their share holders what they thought about the merging they were deciding to go through with.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by harmor
          I know it's not the same but I think I remember one company asking their share holders what they thought about the merging they were deciding to go through with.
          All companies have to ask their shareholders if they want to go through with a merger or acquisition. The shareholders are the owners of the company.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• harmor
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            All companies have to ask their shareholders if they want to go through with a merger or acquisition. The shareholders are the owners of the company.
            I thought the CEO could overrule though.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by harmor
              I thought the CEO could overrule though.
              Nope... CEOs are often shareholders in their own rights but unless they own more than 50% of the company, their vote doesn't mean more than anyone else's. 1 share often equals 1 vote. In fact CEOs can lose their jobs if they are not the majority shareholder and propose something that can be unpopular with the shareholders. All it takes is a shareholder to get enough votes for a vote of no confidence to oust them.

A no confidence vote is why Michael Eisner lost his job at Disney. Roy Disney simply didn't think he was doing the best job anymore and had the shareholders vote. It is also how Steve Jobs got ousted from Apple in the 80s, even though he was a founder of the company.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.8.x

and I, for one, am VERY glad you did!
                Peggy
                ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• Didzi
                  • Apr 2007

I started to do a little research on Internet Brands out of curiosity and found out that some of their current revenue is obtained from selling users / visitors data.
                  Does this mean that Internet Brands will have access to data from thousands of online communities from vBulletin now or in the future?

Comment

• Darren Lewis
                    • Mar 2002
                    • 3.6.x

Like a lot of customers here, I've got mixed feelings about this.

It's interesting to see that Jelsoft decided to sell out to a larger company, rather than float on the stock market, raise capital, buy in more expertise and expand that way...

Anyway congratulations to John and James on their success and boost to their bank accounts

Comment

• harmor
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      Nope... CEOs are often shareholders in their own rights but unless they own more than 50% of the company, their vote doesn't mean more than anyone else's. 1 share often equals 1 vote. In fact CEOs can lose their jobs if they are not the majority shareholder and propose something that can be unpopular with the shareholders. All it takes is a shareholder to get enough votes for a vote of no confidence to oust them.

A no confidence vote is why Michael Eisner lost his job at Disney. Roy Disney simply didn't think he was doing the best job anymore and had the shareholders vote. It is also how Steve Jobs got ousted from Apple in the 80s, even though he was a founder of the company.
                      Thanks. I don't know that much about the business world. I've read that Don Bluth left Disney because they were making 2nd rate animation (This is not an exact quote). I don't know if Eisner was still employed when Blth left. I'll do some research on my own and let the topic get back on track.

Comment

• Fusion
                        • Aug 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Didikoy
                        I started to do a little research on Internet Brands out of curiosity and found out that some of their current revenue is obtained from selling users / visitors data.
                        Does this mean that Internet Brands will have access to data from thousands of online communities from vBulletin now or in the future?
                        Care to post any links related to that, Didikoy?
                        Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Didikoy
                          Jelsoft staff does not have access to the databases from online communities. We sell the software, and we have no access to the sites that run vBulletin.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 3.8.x

John has not been involved with vBulletin for several years now.

I am still looking forward to any news on vbulletin 4.0. I have made a few posts about it and have recieved no reply .

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ---MAD---
                              I am still looking forward to any news on vbulletin 4.0. I have made a few posts about it and have recieved no reply .
                              That probably means it isn't time yet to disclose any information about vBulletin version 4 at this point. Sorry. Any official news will as always be posted in the announcement forum.

Comment

• feldon23
                                • Nov 2001
                                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by tickedon
                                The parent company does now have access to the information we have provided Jelsoft.
                                This assumption, and it is an ASSUMPTION, is the root of a lot of the negative discussion in this thread.

I have no reason to believe that Jelsoft has provided a CD-ROM or other download of their entire customer database to Internet Brands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...