Staying on top of the "new" as you get older

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

MySpace seems to be hot, I went there. .. felt sick and moved to what they said was the next thing.. Facebook. After being there I noticed that another site I visited through purevolume (virb.com) was much nicer in community and design. So I went there. If that turns into a myspace meets facebook site I will simply move on to something else again. The most blogs I visit are from my friends, and despite that I don't like them really .. gizmodo and I check engadget from time to time.

Comment

• Redseal
      • May 2007

Another fantastic website is physorg, it's awesome. All of the latest technological breakthroughs. Lots of stuff coming out of the nano technology department at the U of A.
      I love lamp

Comment

• simsim
        • Nov 2005
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        I just read the San Jose Mercury News. They tend to have the best technical coverage. Any time I come across a term I don't know like HDMI, I search for it on Wikipedia because there is usually an article about it. Much better results than any search engine can ever give.
        I tend to use Answers.com extensively lately. It combines resources from a multitude of top quality websites, including Wikipedia. Their double-click technology to get definitions is awesome.

When using Opera (+v9.0), I only type "a [search criteria]" on the address bar to lauch answers.com with the relevant result(s). They've g for Google, a for Answers.com, z for Amazon.com, etc. Really really useful & has saved me lots of time.
        Last edited by simsim; Fri 29 Jun '07, 7:00am.
        You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by simsim
          When using Opera (+v9.0), I only type "a [search criteria]" on the address bar to lauch answers.com with the relevant result(s). They've g for Google, a for Answers.com, z for Amazon.com, etc. Really really useful & has saved me lots of time.
          I use the search bar integration in Internet Explorer 7. If a site doesn't offer it explicitly, then it can easily be added on your own without any kind of coding. Just need to use a wizard on Microsoft's site to built the integration and import it. I'll look at Answers.com to see if they have integration already.

edit: looks like they do http://www.answers.com/main/product_info.jsp?tab=ie_tab
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Chousho
            • Jan 2004
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
            MySpace seems to be hot, I went there. .. felt sick and moved to what they said was the next thing.. Facebook. After being there I noticed that another site I visited through purevolume (virb.com) was much nicer in community and design. So I went there. If that turns into a myspace meets facebook site I will simply move on to something else again. The most blogs I visit are from my friends, and despite that I don't like them really .. gizmodo and I check engadget from time to time.
            Actually, Facebook used to be just for University students to sign up, meet old friends, connect with people in your other classes, etc. Once they opened it up to the public, and then added all of these new widgets, they turned into a myspace, and, thus, sucked.

I still use it, since I have people I talk to through it, but I'm sad to see that it's now a sucky ripoff of myspace.

Comment

• someuser190826
              • Oct 2002
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Chousho
              Actually, Facebook used to be just for University students to sign up, meet old friends, connect with people in your other classes, etc. Once they opened it up to the public, and then added all of these new widgets, they turned into a myspace, and, thus, sucked.

I still use it, since I have people I talk to through it, but I'm sad to see that it's now a sucky ripoff of myspace.
              It was so much better when Facebook was exclusive to college and university students!
              But back to the original topic....am I losing my mind?

Comment

• Dream
                • Mar 2001
                • 3.6.x

/me is monitoring this thread with great interest
                Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• JakeS
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by mfinc
                  It was so much better when Facebook was exclusive to college and university students!
                  But back to the original topic....am I losing my mind?
                  Loosing your mind is a part of getting older... one day you'll be all crippled and in a wheelchair talking like "You know back when I was a kid back in 2000 our computers were so much slower but you youngsters these days are too smart with your super fast computers!"

Comment

• someuser190826
                    • Oct 2002
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by JakeS
                    Loosing your mind is a part of getting older... one day you'll be all crippled and in a wheelchair talking like "You know back when I was a kid back in 2000 our computers were so much slower but you youngsters these days are too smart with your super fast computers!"
                    bingo! that is exactly what I want to avoid! I want to be in my wheel chair doing and still tell my great grandchildren to piss off if they give me too much attitude when I ask them to put some music on the 60 Yotabyte Apple iPod Transporter.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...