X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • someuser190826
    • Oct 2002
    • 4.0.x

Staying on top of the "new" as you get older

A funny thing came up when I was thinking about how I was a few years back and my ability to keep up with the latest and greatest. A few years ago if you mentioned something about a new Intel chip that was coming out, I knew about it. I knew about the intro of Longhorn first when they introduced it. I knew about the iPod, before it became mainstream! Not only tech, I knew about up and coming bands, music, websites! Ask me what XYZ cable did back in the day i could have told you! I don't even know what an HDMI or MONSTER cables are, or what the hell is going on with all these new TVs and their different formats -- I am so overwhelmed.

I am not an old guy, I was just up-to-date with the hip and new things in tech, life, the world! I am not much older now and in my mid-20s and I am suffering from what my parents are! I am scared I am going to become the old "Gramps" that doesn't know how to work the HTM (Holographic Transmission Medium that is expected to debute in 2050, lol). I guess it has a lot to do with my interests changing but I want it back!

I know jack-all now. Other than YouTube.com (which I knew at the same time it went mainstream), Digg.com (which I found out after or during it going mainstream)....I don't visit any more sites!! I can't recall anything from the past. What sites I used to visit, what has good coverage.

Gosh, it is like some movie I am living...its pretty bad! Some of the older guys on these forums are more "in-tune" with whats going on than me!

What happened!? How do I fix it?

Can anyone make any suggestons via this thread or PM for sources I can refer to in order to bring myself up to par with the 18-month information doubling period? I am afraid of becoming that clueless old man, lol.

Anyone else going through this? I hope i am not the only one!
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Despite only being 30, I do understand what you mean. And I just keep an eye and an ear open to recommendations by younger friends. And I just try stuff out. From the 5 bands I purchase to try out I like one or two. The same goes with web sites. I have less problems trying out communities, but also abandoning them. I have enough to do to fill my day, and enough time to try out new stuff. I just wish I was born 5 years ago, it sucks knowing I will miss all the cool stuff 50 years from now.

Comment

• JakeS
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Floris
      Despite only being 30, I do understand what you mean. And I just keep an eye and an ear open to recommendations by younger friends. And I just try stuff out. From the 5 bands I purchase to try out I like one or two. The same goes with web sites. I have less problems trying out communities, but also abandoning them. I have enough to do to fill my day, and enough time to try out new stuff. I just wish I was born 5 years ago, it sucks knowing I will miss all the cool stuff 50 years from now.
      only 30?

You guys should be happy that you can't stay on top of updates and things where as me getting older I'm loosing my memory I can't remember a single thing I done at the age of 14 now and that's only a couple of years ago.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

You're calling me old? (* Gets the trout out for some slapping)

*mumbles like old guy : youth these days*

Comment

• JakeS
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Floris
          You're calling me old? (* Gets the trout out for some slapping)

*mumbles like old guy : youth these days*
          Yes, Yes I am

Comment

• Onimua
            • Apr 2005

I think it also depends on the field your in.

If you're in something like biology for example, you're not going to be up-to-date on the latest technology. However, if you're in a field where your constantly surrounded by technology (a computer programmer) you'll end up of course seeing, hearing, and of course using the latest technology around. I would say it depends greatly on your career choice and other interests.
            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

hehe

Comment

• JakeS
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Onimua
                I think it also depends on the field your in.

If you're in something like biology for example, you're not going to be up-to-date on the latest technology. However, if you're in a field where your constantly surrounded by technology (a computer programmer) you'll end up of course seeing, hearing, and of course using the latest technology around. I would say it depends greatly on your career choice and other interests.
                Yeah true that, but even those people could loose out when it comes to other stuff like "Music"

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 1.1.x

I have not seen any real big leaps in technology from when I was a teenager in the 80's. Computer speed/graphics have not impressed yet and television is nearly 40 years behind. I am still waiting to see something that I can say WOW!, but I think I be dead before it comes out.

Comment

• JakeS
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego
                    I have not seen any real big leaps in technology from when I was a teenager in the 80's. Computer speed/graphics have not impressed yet and television is nearly 40 years behind. I am still waiting to see something that I can say WOW!, but I think I be dead before it comes out.
                    I think their developing some cure or something that will stop you dieing.. they freeze you and then you come out alive or some po lava like that, so ancient people won't die

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 1.1.x

They know what makes someone live longer, it is the problem a being lethargic for the rest of your life. I do not want to move slower than a sloth, what would be the point in living in such a manner. Cryogenics is wishfull thinking for the rich, as your cells explode when they are frozen. I know they replace your blood with some fluid to minimize this, but I do not recall them saving your blood after they remove it. I guess they might someday find a way to reverse this, but I am not holding my breath.

Game graphics are suppose to be like the movie Toy Story, but that would take several processors and a hugh amount of storing space to even get close to those smooth fluid images. I think it well come out when I am legally retired.

Comment

• JakeS
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego
                        They know what makes someone live longer, it is the problem a being lethargic for the rest of your life. I do not want to move slower than a sloth, what would be the point in living in such a manner. Cryogenics is wishfull thinking for the rich, as your cells explode when they are frozen. I know they replace your blood with some fluid to minimize this, but I do not recall them saving your blood after they remove it. I guess they might someday find a way to reverse this, but I am not holding my breath.

Game graphics are suppose to be like the movie Toy Story, but that would take several processors and a hugh amount of storing space to even get close to those smooth fluid images. I think it well come out when I am legally retired.
                        People take this guy as an example.. he knows more about something and his over double my age!

Comment

• Adrienne
                          • Dec 2006

To stay current I'd say read all the industry magazines you can get your hands on,
                          but other than that I have no idea how anyone can keep up these days.
                          I've been out of the loop for years, raising children to adulthood tends to
                          take up one's time. But back in the day, I was there at the edge, or so I thought. I had a TRS-80, which I thought was the coolest thing. I could write simple programs in BASIC and store those programs on a tape recorder! I could beat anybody at Space Invaders! I bought the Atari 2600 and then the 5200.
                          I listened to the new music from England, before it was called New Wave.
                          Good times.
                          You know you've turned into a geezer when you start saying "back in my day".
                          Actually geezerhood starts when your kids know more than you do about current technology.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

I just read the San Jose Mercury News. They tend to have the best technical coverage. Any time I come across a term I don't know like HDMI, I search for it on Wikipedia because there is usually an article about it. Much better results than any search engine can ever give.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• someuser190826
                              • Oct 2002
                              • 4.0.x

Haha,
                              its great there are some people who can relate!

@Floris, I used to be like you with the new sites. I knew what was coming, when, and who was bringing them out. For ex: If this was few years ago I would have probably been beta testing YouTube or Digg or Facebook -- but that isn't the case anymore. Outside the handful of websites I visit daily (financial news and vBulletin) I don't visit much variety of websites. I don't even know where to start looking for them. Any websites or blogs?

Any interesting blogs people read? Wow, I am a sad dude

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...