X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrsleep
    • Dec 2006
    • 3.5.x

Good gallery software solution?

Does anyone know of a good gallery solution for a website? I'm looking to host a huge gallery of photos, hundreds of thousands of pictures. I'm looking to have them "tag"able, to make them easier to search, and want people to be able to register and upload their photos. I've fiddled around with using Joomla! and Gallery2 embedded but I don't like the lack of support with these open source options. Does anyone have any advice, etc? It'd be greatly appreciated! Thank you
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

I am looking for this myself. We're going to have reviews of advertisements and banners on talkbanners.com and could use a unique location where this is done, aside from the forums. I am considering to just install coppermine or photoplog and integrate it with vBulletin.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
      • Feb 2005
      • 1.1.x

This is still one of the best multimedia galleries, but wait till they get everything sorted. I am still waiting for 'Pro Version' to come out and it was integrated with vBulletin, but it seems they do not have forum up just yet.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

I will go check them out, and thank you for the heads up, I will wait a while until they get their stuff sorted.

Comment

• mrsleep
          • Dec 2006
          • 3.5.x

Thanks for the link Jose, this definitely looks like something more suited for me. I just emailed the company about pricing, etc. Floris, glad to see someone else is in this struggle with me, hahah. I considered doing some sort of integration with VB for my needs but I'm not sure a message board will be necessary for this particular project. Thanks for all of the responses so far!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Photoplog Lite seems to fit all my needs and has good features for the end-user. It isn't stand alone though.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mrsleep
              • Dec 2006
              • 3.5.x

Hey, just wanted to update this thread real quick in case anyone was following it or comes across it in the future.

I have switched from using Joomla! + Coppermine. This is solely because I was using Joombla (http://www.joombla.com) to merge databases and integrate Coppermine. DO NOT USE THIS SOFTWARE. It is FAR from perfected and there is ZERO support for it. It is essentially a scam.

I've gone now to using just Coppermine and I'm customizing the template myself to fit it to my needs.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

It isn't a scam. Its free software most likely made by people who have other job requirements elsewhere. Most opensource software comes with minimal support because you are expected to know how to fix it yourself and then contribute those fixes back to the project.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Raz Meister
                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  It isn't a scam. Its free software most likely made by people who have other job requirements elsewhere. Most opensource software comes with minimal support because you are expected to know how to fix it yourself and then contribute those fixes back to the project.
                  Err, that is complete FUD. The majority of OSS have a community support system.
                  Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Raz Meister
                    Err, that is complete FUD. The majority of OSS have a community support system.
                    I suppose. Outside of a forum here and there, I have never gotten support on OSS software that didn't have commercial financial backing from elsewhere. Even on forums, the questions sit for days and weeks if you're lucky to get an answer. Maybe its changing but I don't use OSS software for that specific reason.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• IDN
                      • Apr 2002
                      • 3.5.x

I bit the bullet and bought Photopost today. So far I enjoy it and so do my members. A lot of my members were looking to have a gallery added for quite awhile. I am waiting for vBlog to come out as well.
                      Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• minx
                        • Nov 2003
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by IDN
                        I bit the bullet and bought Photopost today. So far I enjoy it and so do my members. A lot of my members were looking to have a gallery added for quite awhile. I am waiting for vBlog to come out as well.
                        photopost is the best so good buy i suppose

Comment

• Asvin
                          • Jul 2007

try www.uploadscript.net.. Its totally free, although you would have to pay to take out the link to their website....

Comment

• mrsleep
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            It isn't free. It's 15 US.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Joomla and Coppermine are free. I guess I expected this to be free as well because the main product description linked to doesn't say anything about having to purchase it. I didn't scroll down past that or try to obtain it.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...