How would you reply if someone told you they where bi-polar??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Milado
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.8.x

Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.5.x

Millions of people have bipolar disorder It used to be called manic depression

Sorry to hear that.. it must suck

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by minx
        Just ride the bits in-between poles... it's the good times the 'ups' that could keep you going... enjoy the good life where ever possible and focus on helping others while time & the hour heal you... there'll be a time without this condition and it's coming for you...it's ahead...i really hope it is for you... it was for me

I usually spend most of my time between the poles "stable", i rarely have a Manic episode, if i do, i know i am under alot of stress..

In the winter "with lack of sunlight" my physical depressive symptoms kick in, but i think that is just about normal for alot of people...
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Fusion
          • Aug 2001
          • 3.8.x

I'm sure you know the lack of sunlight during the winter can be helped somewhat using artifical light. If that's not enough, I'd take a 3 month vacation and go some place where the days are a tad longer.

As for the initial reaction, personally I'd respond with a healthy dose of curiosity rather than think it's odd to have this disability.
          Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Kathy
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

Hey Joe, I've been reading your thread with interest. As a retired public school teacher and one that has had many students with bipolar disorder I must tell you that I don't think you need to create a policy to tell everyone you know. Your closest friends can know. But why tell others who have no closely related business with you?

I have a skin disorder and eye disorder. Neither of which is noticeable to casual observers or casual friends. I have never felt the need to explain myself or my specific needs to them unless it affects them personally.

I think the same goes for your circumstances. Tell those who need to know. To the others, it should matter not.

IOW, I would not go out and order a special t-shirt to advertise it.

We all have this and that to contend with. Its part of being a human bean wearing a flesh-suit.
            Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• MJM
              • Dec 2001

The T- shirt is an interesting idea Kathy.

If it had 2 representational imprints, one on the front, other on the back ...
              or better still ... one on the outside, the other on the inside.

... Then it could be worn in the manner reflective of one's mood.

I suppose in this respect, to others it's not so important to know whether one is bipolar ...

... but how you are feeling on a given day.
              Mark

Comment

• JakeS
                • Jul 2005

A friend of mine just said it to me and heres how I replied (Exact):

Yeah man sorry to here that, So is there anything that can sort it?

Comment

• Labanet
                  • Jan 2008

Are you using it as an excuse?

My family and friends know I have it. I have bi-polar and ADD and I've had them most of my life and only the last 3 years have I been treated. So I am asking you if you are using it as an excuse? The only reason I can't find a job is because of my lack of experience in the fileld I am looking, not because of my medical issues. I don't use that as an excuse and I really resent those that do. You wonder why "normal" people look at us in a negative way? Maybe you should look into getting some kind of treatment. Or if you are getting treatment maybe it isn't working and you should try something else. I have been on medication for the last 3 years for both bi-polar and ADD and the combination I am on works real well. I am stable and I have little to no side effects. I see my meds dr. once every 3 months to make sure I am doing all right and to make sure I don't need any changes. Check into it. Sounds like you need some help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...