MAJOR problem with Mozilla Thunderbird!! HELP PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Creepshow
    • May 2005
    • 3.5.x

MAJOR problem with Mozilla Thunderbird!! HELP PLEASE!

Okay,

I just went to check my email in Thunderbird, and EVERYTHING has gone. All my emails, folders, account info, EVERYTHING. When I open the program it's acting as though I'm using it for the first time telling me to set up a user account!!

Why/how has this occured?? Where has all my stuff gone?? PLEASE tell me I can get it back...

Thanks in advance for any help someone can kindly provide...
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!
  • jeffinj
    • Apr 2006

Someone else might have a solution. I would suggest you to use webmail service such as gmail. U will never lose your mails that way, they dont read your messages either. Besides webmails come with huge inboxes. Just a suggestion from me.
    www.christianforumsite.com
    sigpic

Comment

• JakeS
      • Jul 2005

Run this command:

thunderbird.exe -profile

to open profile chooser see if it opened a new profile.

Comment

• Creepshow
        • May 2005
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by JakeS
        Run this command:

thunderbird.exe -profile

to open profile chooser see if it opened a new profile.
        Where do I enter that command? Sorry I'm a real novice with stuff like that. Could you provide more detailed instructions?

Thanks so much!
        "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Most likely at the command line...
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Quillz
            • Nov 2004
            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by jeffinj
            Someone else might have a solution. I would suggest you to use webmail service such as gmail. U will never lose your mails that way, they dont read your messages either. Besides webmails come with huge inboxes. Just a suggestion from me.
            That doesn't really help, and Thunderbird is just a way of storing webmail e-mail offline.
            Forums

Comment

• JakeS
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Creepshow
              Where do I enter that command? Sorry I'm a real novice with stuff like that. Could you provide more detailed instructions?

Thanks so much!
              Sorry Hit That start button fly to run and hit in C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe -ProfileManager and see if their is more than one.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Most likely at the command line...
              yeah his going to know where the command line is if he doesn't know how to enter commands aye?

Comment

• Creepshow
                • May 2005
                • 3.5.x

Sorry Hit That start button fly to run and hit in C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe -ProfileManager and see if their is more than one.

yeah his going to know where the command line is if he doesn't know how to enter commands aye?
                Hey, again thanks for the help, appreciate it. When I enter that and press ok I get the following:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

...I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what. Is there another way to check how many profiles there are if I can't get it to work this way?

Comment

• JakeS
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Creepshow
                  Hey, again thanks for the help, appreciate it. When I enter that and press ok I get the following:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

...I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what. Is there another way to check how many profiles there are if I can't get it to work this way?
                  Click start > Hit My Computer Fly over to your main drive (one windoze is installed on) fly into Program Files Find Mozilla Thunderbird right click thunderbird.exe hit create shortcut find your shortcut that you just through onto your computer right click it find target should be something like
                  "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" then at the end of exe add "-ProfileManager" then click your shortcut.

Comment

• Chousho
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 3.8.x

Click start > Hit My Computer Fly over to your main drive (one windoze is installed on) fly into Program Files Find Mozilla Thunderbird right click thunderbird.exe hit create shortcut find your shortcut that you just through onto your computer right click it find target should be something like
                    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" then at the end of exe add "-ProfileManager" then click your shortcut.
                    Yeah, I was about to post that it's "-ProfileManager".

It sounds like somehow Thunderbird is using a blank (or default if you set up a different one) profile. Check out the page I linked to above.

Also, you don't have to do all of that jazz through Command. On your desktop shortcut for Thunderbird, right click, go to Properties. Select the shortcut tab, in Target it should say:
                    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" - ProfileManager
                    Edit to wherever yours is, but mine is default, so yours might be as well.

Comment

• Alex Apple
                      • Jun 2004

IIRC, it's to do with the prefs.js file getting corrupted. I've had this happen a couple of times - your mail is still there, but as the prefs.js file is corrupted Thunderbird can't see them.

What I had to do in the end, after faffing about with profiles for most of a day and getting nowhere, was find a converter (IMAPSize was what I used) to convert the Thunderbird .mbox (I think) files into Outlook compatible .eml files, and import those into OE. Then, do a fresh install of Thunderbird (I'd suggest moving your existing files away somewhere as a backup before deleting them in the original folder) and reimport the mail. You'll have to set up your rules and accounts again.

As soon as you've done that, might I recommend MozBackUp? If this happens again (and it may well - I've been struck three times now in two years) you've got a one click fix once you've backed up all your settings via that handy little util.
                      Last edited by Alex Apple; Mon 18 Jun '07, 12:57pm. Reason: added converter name

Comment

• someuser190826
                        • Oct 2002
                        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Alex Apple
                        As soon as you've done that, might I recommend MozBackUp? If this happens again (and it may well - I've been struck three times now in two years) you've got a one click fix once you've backed up all your settings via that handy little util.
                        Anything similar to MozBackUp for Mac?

Comment

• welo
                          • Sep 2003
                          • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

The number one thing to do with ANY email client is move your mail store folder to another drive and back it up at least once a month. That way if you ever have to repair or wipe the app it won't take your mail down with it.
                          "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                          It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

• JakeS
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by welo
                            The number one thing to do with ANY email client is move your mail store folder to another drive and back it up at least once a month. That way if you ever have to repair or wipe the app it won't take your mail down with it.
                            I always just configure the programs to leave my emails on server... this way it can download them if I need to re-install.

Comment

• derfy
                              • Jul 2005
                              • 3.8.x

I always just configure the programs to leave my emails on server... this way it can download them if I need to re-install.
                              Whoa, how much space do you have?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...