X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cromulent
    • Oct 2005
    • 3.8.x

Safari for Windows - Fastest PC Browser

Apple have just released the beta of Safari 3 and it is available for Windows XP / Vista now .

Apparently it is much faster than IE / FF and Opera in its rendering. Has anyone done any tests with it on a PC yet? I am interested to know what people think of it.
  • ThorstenA
    • Nov 2004
    • 4.0.x

This browser is apparently very basic and very beta. Not much pages are displayed correctly.

Comment

• Cromulent
      • Oct 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ThorstenA
      This browser is apparently very basic and very beta. Not much pages are displayed correctly.
      I've been using it on the Mac for about 4 hours now and everything works great. Just booted into windows to try it out on the PC side.

Comment

• ThorstenA
        • Nov 2004
        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Cromulent
        I've been using it on the Mac for about 4 hours now and everything works great. Just booted into windows to try it out on the PC side.
        Maybe there are different parameters showing pages in different computer configurations different. Page http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ is not displayed correctly in my safari browser.

Comment

• Colin F
          • May 2004

I installed it quick shortly after it was announced. This was how it displayed these forums: http://testvb.com/vb_safari_vista.png

It also crashed whenever I tried to post anything, and it had things like only being able to resize the window at the bottom right and not supporting Vistas' Aero transparency.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Cromulent
            • Oct 2005
            • 3.8.x

I'm posting this from Safari running on Windows XP and it is working perfectly so far. Although admittidly I have only been using it for about 2 minutes .

Comment

• ThorstenA
              • Nov 2004
              • 4.0.x

(@ Colin) Same "experience" here So I definitely do not use it even for testing purposes now. Maybe I am looking for an update in a month or later. I'd never put something as this online as a beta

Comment

• simsim
                • Nov 2005
                • 3.6.x

Lol

Originally posted by ThorstenA
                I'd never put something as this online as a beta
                They would blame Windows.
                You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Cromulent
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Odd that the drop down menu on the usernames on this forum does not work. It just takes you straight to the users profile.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

I downloaded it and installed it. Doubt it will become a default browser though because it simply looks terrible in my opinion. Interface is horrible and doesn't inherit my Windows theme. I personally don't like the look of the Mac Aqua theme. But not only that, everything is blurry in the browser. So much so that pages are difficult to read, even if I turn their font-smoothing down to the lowest option. Overall though, it just feels like I am using a pre-beta version of Firefox and if I wanted that I would use Firefox.

I didn't have any crashing or rendering problems outside the blurriness though I am using XP Pro not Vista.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Yves R.
                      vBulletin QA
                      • Nov 2003
                      • 5.6.X

First impression: that suxx (for now)

Bold text don't appear (like Colin), vB Menu don't want to be displayed (even if the 'Enable Javascript' option is selected in the Preferences of Safari), when you want to view plug-ins (Help > Installed Plug-ins), the browser crashed (Safari is missing important resources and should be reinstalled.), etc.

Hopefully, this is a beta version...

They have a lot of things to fix

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by PitchouneN64ngc
                        Hopefully, this is a beta version...
                        It is labeled as such.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• fastforward
                          • Nov 2000

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          I downloaded it and installed it. Doubt it will become a default browser though because it simply looks terrible in my opinion. Interface is horrible and doesn't inherit my Windows theme. I personally don't like the look of the Mac Aqua theme. But not only that, everything is blurry in the browser. So much so that pages are difficult to read, even if I turn their font-smoothing down to the lowest option. Overall though, it just feels like I am using a pre-beta version of Firefox and if I wanted that I would use Firefox.

I didn't have any crashing or rendering problems outside the blurriness though I am using XP Pro not Vista.
                          I saw the same problem with the anti-aliasing on XP. Vista doesn't seem to have the problem though.

Either way, it's ugly. Media apps like iTunes might be able get away without adopting the OS look and feel, but I can't see windows users ever accepting this.
                          http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

• Razasharp
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 3.7.x

Pah! @ Safari, even the mac guys here use Opera - that was after I showed them what it could do!

Opera is the best browser ever!! Mouse gestures, wand, look and feel, customisability, speed, security, features! It just wins hands down

What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• aelion
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Colin F
                              I installed it quick shortly after it was announced. This was how it displayed these forums: http://testvb.com/vb_safari_vista.png

It also crashed whenever I tried to post anything, and it had things like only being able to resize the window at the bottom right and not supporting Vistas' Aero transparency.
                              I've seen other vB forums display that way using Safari 2 and Safari 3. There's something funky with how Safari renders some vB forums. I wish I was smart enough to figure out what it is.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...