X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razasharp
    • Feb 2005
    • 3.7.x

Pushing vB?

Just wondered if any of you have seen sites that use vB in weird and wonderful ways?

Perhaps you've seen a vB powered site that powers not just the forums, but the articles, news, blogs too ...but in a way that you wouldn't really be able to tell it is being powered by vB (in other words doesn't look like just a forum page).

Here's an interesting one: http://www.hotukdeals.com/main.html

It looks like a normal vB forum to begin with, but they have a rating system and url redirect going on. Not much of a deviation, but an interesting one.

Here's another: http://www.stirrdup.com/

It looks nothing like vB, but is clearly the powerhouse behind it. (It's up for board of the month, next month of vborg btw).
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Information and support for moms and parents to help them lead their best life and raise successful, healthy kids.

All their articles are in vBulletin and each category is actually a forum. You can only really tell by the URLs and a few places where things aren't as polished as it is. It was many phone calls over the technical support line to help the web designer customize this to fit the site's needs. Overall a good job, even if it needs polishing in a few places still.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Razasharp
      • Feb 2005
      • 3.7.x

Not bad I agree that it does look a little unfinished/unpolished in places, but something they could easily iron out if they wanted to.

Why did they go with vB when they don't have a forum at all?

I know one site, that has used vB for articles in a fairly polished way

Comment

• simsim
        • Nov 2005
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Razasharp
        Just wondered if any of you have seen sites that use vB in weird and wonderful ways?
        Very interesting topic. I'm constantly looking for a vB forum that does not look like a forum!

Here's an interesting one: http://www.hotukdeals.com/main.html

It looks like a normal vB forum to begin with, but they have a rating system and url redirect going on. Not much of a deviation, but an interesting one.
        The site theme is good, but excluding the forums themselves, none of its other main categories are vB-powered. Maybe they've done a site-wide integration of the logging system but I can't tell for sure as I'm not registered.

Here's another: http://www.stirrdup.com/

It looks nothing like vB, but is clearly the powerhouse behind it. (It's up for board of the month, next month of vborg btw).
        Once again the main site isn't vB-powered. It's WordPress. From the Source:
        HTML Code:
        <meta name="generator" content="WordPress 2.1.3" /> <!-- leave this for stats -->
        The forums are just regular.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        http://www.hotmomsclub.com/

All their articles are in vBulletin and each category is actually a forum. You can only really tell by the URLs and a few places where things aren't as polished as it is. It was many phone calls over the technical support line to help the web designer customize this to fit the site's needs. Overall a good job, even if it needs polishing in a few places still.
        The graphical design is awesome. However, the underneath techniques they used to achieve the overall founctionality is vBAdvanced. The indivisual info pages (e.g. Editor's Note are normal index.php?page that are generated on the fly with vBAdvanced. The accompaying picture next to each article (thread in fact), is the article's poster profile picture. Simple concepts, but great results. It reminds me of Girls Get Going & Hyster Sisters as it share their same theme (women & parenting).

One of the greatest sites that I never see any mention of at this forum is NEWSBACK. They've even been so generous in telling how exactly the site is built. This justifes it to be called a fully vB-powered website, IMO.

There are other sites that look unique, but I can't remember the addresses. They use thevgeek's GARS, AFAIR.

I think this shows quite obvious how great software vBulletin is.
        You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Razasharp
          • Feb 2005
          • 3.7.x

Another good site there Simsim

I don't know why Jelsoft doesn't do more to encourage such custom sites to come forward - they act as a great advertisement for vB.

I think quite a few sites are now going down the dedicated CMS route and using vb 'just' for the forum. I know one really good site (that uses vB 100% across it's site) that is considering this. I wonder if we'll ever see a vB cms? If it's on the horizen an annoucement soon would be good...

Comment

• WurkAnimal
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.5.x

Wow nice find, that's awesome

Comment

• Milado
              • Mar 2005
              • 3.8.x

The Syrian American Medical Society is a fully vB-powered website, the main page and everything in it is an ad-on created by me.
              Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

• Razasharp
                • Feb 2005
                • 3.7.x

Nice one

Comment

• simsim
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 3.6.x

Comment

• Razasharp
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 3.7.x

Another good looker Simsim

Comment

• simsim
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 3.6.x

There you go another good non-vB-looking site:

The home page is not based on vBulletin, but I guess it's using Zero Tolerance's vBExternal to push forum threads dynamically into the main page.

The forum itself is very elegant, as they nearly cleaned out most of vBulletin's default layout, which is too much boxy IMO, but I guess I can understand Kier's orientation.

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.5.x

wow

Comment

• simsim
                          • Nov 2005
                          • 3.6.x

Do we need to mention DaniWeb?

Comment

• Dream
                            • Mar 2001
                            • 3.6.x

simsim is really a vB directory
                            Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• vertigo jones
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by simsim
                              Once again the main site isn't vB-powered. It's WordPress. From the Source:
                              I don't know if you quoted the wrong thing, but Stirrdup (http://www.stirrdup.com) is entirely powered by vBulletin. In fact, there hasn't even been a single code edit. Everything is done with templates and plugins.

And actually, there aren't even THAT many plugins. It took only around 10 or 11 custom written plugins to make the site happen. 5 or 6 of them are less than 3 lines too and were only to add functionality that already exists to other pages in the application.

Clever structuring and vB's great built in engine did the rest.

Thanks Razasharp, by the way!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...