Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrispadfield
    • Aug 2000

Encrypting a hard drive

I have a hard drive in my PC that basically contains backups of data from all other the place. It most likely has old password files and things like that I wouldn't want someone to have access to.

What would be a good way to encrypt the whole hard drive? Ideally it would be completly encrypted and then if I wanted to use it I would enter my password and that would give me half an hour or so of access to it until a password was needed again.

I am running Vista (64 bit)

Any ideas?
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

In case I don't see you online..

Explore the versatility of Microsoft’s Windows 11 operating system. Find out how our latest Windows OS gives you more ways to work, play, and create.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• mlx
      • Jan 2001
      • 3.8.x

I would strongly recommend TrueCrypt: http://www.truecrypt.org/

I don't really like that EFS feature. However if you use it:
      it is highly recommended when first using efs that you export your public and private keys to another storage medium (cipher /?) - these keys are randomly generated at creation, similar installs will not create similar keys. strangely there is no prompt when first using efs, and thus many people are unaware of the risk or forget. it is also advisable to create a recovery agent, though some users may decide not to for security reasons.
      P.S. as you are mentioning old password files ... a great software to securely manage your passwords is KeePass: http://www.keepass.info/
      Last edited by mlx; Thu 17 May '07, 12:53am.
      Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and vB3Forever.org!

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.8.x

Windows EFS and Truecrypt are both great options.

I don't use either, but i would use EFS if i had too..
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...